Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LAFHA on a WHV?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I'm currently on my 2nd WHV and have taken a job in Sydney for 12 months. I'm just wondering if it is possible for me to claim the LAFHA allowance on a WHV? I will be getting sponsored at some stage during the year as I won't be able to fill the 12 mth contract on my WHV. Just wondering if I can't claim the LAFHA on a WHV should I push for my employer to start the sponsorship now as I've heard the LAFHA is worth a fair few quid. Any experiences with this anyone?
    Cheers,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Yea you can claim it on a WHV as long as the employer is willing to do it and you are eligible - they're was alot of hoo ha about whether you can do it on a 417 and a 457 but the tax definition is based on your intention and not the visa that you have...although as the company would take the hit most are not willing to run with 417's

...and yes it is worth a fair few quid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes it is possible, but as Free said it is an employer benefit meaning only they can give it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

Thanks for that. I had been looking on lafha.com.au and got the impression that you had to be sponsored in order to claim it. It's all the better that it can be claimed on a whv. Also, surely any employer that you are working for medium to long term would be willing to claim it on your behalf would they not? It doesn't cost them anything but some paperwork by the looks of it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

paidi09 wrote: »
    Also, surely any employer that you are working for medium to long term would be willing to claim it on your behalf would they not? It doesn't cost them anything but some paperwork by the looks of it..
    Nope, not at all

LAFHA is a tricky subjext, originally it was aimed for people who had to move places for a short time for their jobs
    (i.e. you live in Sydney and have to move to Melbourne for 3months) etc
    rather than you are on holidays and you got a job

You'll find most people will not give it to you on a WHV (apart from pay roll companies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

hussey wrote: »
    Nope, not at all

LAFHA is a tricky subjext, originally it was aimed for people who had to move places for a short time for their jobs
    (i.e. you live in Sydney and have to move to Melbourne for 3months) etc
    rather than you are on holidays and you got a job

You'll find most people will not give it to you on a WHV (apart from pay roll companies)

very true and if you end up claiming it incorrectly (i.e. you are not actually eligible as you did not intend to return home etc) then your company and not you are liable for a whole whack of cash...there is no real benefit in companies doing other than to help secure your services (which in your case they already have)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

after spending one year on a whv its a bit disappointing to find out i could have utilised this only now. but as today is my first day on the 457 i think its time to get the full picture here. does anyone here use the services of any of the companies offering this service? i.e. lafha.com.au or payme.com.au, those being the first that came up on google. what sort of rate do they charge on average?
    i imagine i would be a better off if my employers payroll done it but for the sake of a few quid it might be much easier to have it subbed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭gonedrinking

lg123 wrote: »
    after spending one year on a whv its a bit disappointing to find out i could have utilised this only now. but as today is my first day on the 457 i think its time to get the full picture here. does anyone here use the services of any of the companies offering this service? i.e. lafha.com.au or payme.com.au, those being the first that came up on google. what sort of rate do they charge on average?
    i imagine i would be a better off if my employers payroll done it but for the sake of a few quid it might be much easier to have it subbed out.

You probably aren't eligible for it now since you didn't receive it from the start of your employment, might look a bit suspicious to the ATO. Don't bother paying fees to find out if you're eligible, just call up the ATO and ask them yourself, it'll only take 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i was having a look at the ato site today to try get a better picture of the scheme, maybe i was looking in the wrong places but it seemed very confusing.
    re working for them before, i was working with them from feb to aug 2010, i left then as they wernt in a position to sponsor me. in the mean time my gf has got sponsored on which i am her defacto partner. they approached me before christmas re this new position. i never applied for the scheme before as i thought whv'ers wernt included.

Advertisement