Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Nokia E63,push notifications?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

just wondering is anyone using Whatsapp or another free messaging service on the nokia E63.
    Its for my girlfriend,she'll be abroad for 4 months,she has a nokia E63 and I have the iphone 4.

while i know whatsapp will work for me,will it work on the E63?

is "push notifications" purely a network feature,isnt that how these messaging services work?

is there any other Whatsapp type apps that'll work for both the E63 & the iPhone 4?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Whatsapp will work with the E63, but it works over a data connection rather then standard network connection so will be quite costly for her unless she gets a data plan over there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Davy wrote: »
    Whatsapp will work with the E63, but it works over a data connection rather then standard network connection so will be quite costly for her unless she gets a data plan over there

cool,i was thinking that alright,she's going to spain,would anyone suggest a spanish network that works along the lines of 3 (& probably other networks) where you top up by €20 or so and get free internet?

am i right in saying that phones in ireland werent push notification enabled until recently enough?
    i remember the last 2 nokias i had,both had push notifications but i could never switch them on,got a message saying something about service provider etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

AFAIK "Push Notifications" is an Apple term which basically means that your phone just stays connected to the internet(using pretty much no data, just like a computer at home) in order for a message to be sent directly to the App using it, which will then be displayed on screen. My N85 and N8 work perfectly well with WhatsApp, just leaving the connection open constantly, so a data plan is advisable.

Advertisement