Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did anyone see Sir Terry Wogan's programme on Ireland last night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I'll pull a potato out of my pocket and munch on it in public while jigging to a reel if it gets tourists over here.

Yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

D1stant wrote: »
    Agree. You dont see Canadians whinging about "North America", they have a bit more self esteem and realise that its a convenient term that does not imply US ownership. Lets grow up a little here, whether BI is the correct term or not.... really does not matter. 'Atlantic Islands' Spare me

Lol I've seen nothing but that from Canadians. I never ever ask someone if they're American out of fear of incurring their possible Canadian wrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 NKearney50

DAMN...........I wish I was British! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

When did he mention they were drunk?
    The programme will bring tourists to Ireland, it's just not that many will go to Ballinspittle. I mean, how many Irish people have ever gone specifically to Ballinspittle!?

It's the stereo type, he didn't have to. He mentioned drink on several occasions.

This Irish stereo type is rampant in England. Anyone watching the "comedy" Come Fly With Me, will see "Our Lady Air".

I agree it would bring tourism from some markets but not England. Jokes about our rampant Catholicism and drinking culture are every where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

.....played up the outdated stereotype of the 'gombeen Irish'.

Where have you been for the past 5 years, we are still gombeens....trouble is at the moment we are arrogant gombeens...we'll never get over the stereotype. Our actions over the past 5 years have done nothing but re-inforce the stereotype everywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

It's the stereo type, he didn't have to. He mentioned drink on several occasions.

This Irish stereo type is rampant in England. Anyone watching the "comedy" Come Fly With Me, will see "Our Lady Air".

I agree it would bring tourism from some markets but not England. Jokes about our rampant Catholicism and drinking culture are every where.
    Well England is hardly the land that alcohol forgot, now.
    It's no secret that Irish culture is heavily influenced by the Catholic Church and alcohol, so it would have been a bit odd of them to leave any reference to them out of the show. What would you rather he have talked about?

Einhard wrote: »
    I find it strange that people care so much. It's a general geographic term, in use for centuries, and not likely to fall out of use anytime soon. It's not a possessive, and isn't an imperialist attempt to sujugate Ireland. People should stop being so sensitive. To take offence when none is intended is a tad silly.
    It's more to do with the British claiming places that aren't theirs, i.e that Ireland is British. They did a lot of that down through the years.
    For example, it was only recently that they changed the British Lions to the British and Irish Lions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

It's more to do with the British claiming places that aren't theirs, i.e that Ireland is British. They did a lot of that down through the years.
    For example, it was only recently that they changed the British Lions to the British and Irish Lions.

No one claims that Ireland (the Republic) is British.

But let's not venture down that cul-de-sac again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,511 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Don't miss the second part next Sunday. Sir Tel is getting together with Gaybo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I find it strange that people care so much. It's a general geographic term, in use for centuries, and not likely to fall out of use anytime soon. It's not a possessive, and isn't an imperialist attempt to sujugate Ireland. People should stop being so sensitive. To take offence when none is intended is a tad silly.

I think you'll find that, in actual historical fact, the earliest known use of the term "British Isles" in the English language is very definitely an imperialist usage, by the English imperialist John Dee in a 1577 treatise claiming Ireland for the Tudor crown. See the current edition of the Oxford English Dictionary for confirmation of this etymology.

As a previous poster showed "British Isles" has, in fact, fallen out of use with modern academics, many of whom have explicitly stated the reasons for their opposition to the term. The term is noticeably avoided by the vast majority of media in Ireland where "Britain and Ireland", among other terms, is used instead. British newspapers and journals such as The Guardian and The Economist advise their contributors to avoid using it, Folens stopped using it in 2006 and in 2008 even National Geographic stopped using it and instead entitles its maps the "British and Irish Isles". Additionally, the term has in recent years been officially rejected by the government of Ireland as an accurate description of Ireland's geographical or political position. Irish government objections are on record at least as far back as the 1940s. Finally, for a term which you contend is 'not likely to fall out of use anytime soon' it is notable that it is entirely avoided in all treaties between the states of Ireland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, most conspicuously in the body they established in 1998, the 'British-Irish Council', not the 'Council of the British Isles'.

In other words, it's untrue to say that British Isles is not imperialist in its origins, or that its use is not in decline. On the contrary, the term is clearly increasingly avoided by both British and Irish governments, and a wide range of important non-governmental organisations in Ireland, Britain and the United States. Whether anybody cares or not does not negate the clear evolution in how this term is perceived, and avoided, by very many people and institutions today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Ach!!!!! Der Smarmötterdämmerung !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Cue, where's Samuel L. Jackson when you need him? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭YoureATowel

As a cartographer I've long been fascinated by the use of maps and nomenclature for propaganda purposes. For example, when the British Empire was at its height most of its territory was situated at the northern and southern extremities of the world. In Britain, maps of the world were always published with Britain at its centre and with projections that exaggerated the size of Canada, Australia & southern Africa relative to the rest of the world. These territories were then coloured red and the maps were hung on the walls of schools throughout the Empire, including Ireland.

You see it didn't matter if Britain actually controlled a certain territory or had any right to, once it was coloured red then, in the minds of the people, it was British.

This valuable imperial propaganda tool was first learned in Ireland. The first English ruler to be recognised by the pope as the de jure monarch of Ireland was Mary Tudor. When her half sister, Elizabeth, became queen, she set about becoming the de facto ruler of Ireland by subjugating the gaelic chieftains.

A supporter of this policy was the English imperialist John Dee. As mentioned already, he coined the phrase, British Isles, to convey the idea that not only did England deserve to rule Ireland, but that it was also their right to. So the term British Isles was originally a political tool.

My objection to the term is that it is misleading. To come from the British Isles implies that you are British. It confuses people to such an extent that I've had to explain to a Spaniard that Irish people carry Irish passports not British ones! I had to give an American a tongue lashing when he stated that my head of state was Elizabeth Windsor! I also had to correct a Canadian when he said that he found my British accent hard to understand. In each of these cases the root of the misunderstanding was that damned phrase, the British Isles.

People often use the Irish Sea as a counter argument. That's a red herring. Irish people called that body of water Muir Mhanann, or the Sea of Mann. The English called it the Irish Sea, meaning you had to cross it to get to Ireland.

Another red herring is the Iberian Peninsula. This is obviously a neutral term. Call it the Spanish Peninsula to a Portuguese and watch the steam blast out of their ears.

Dionysus wrote: »
    Cue, where's Samuel L. Jackson when you need him? :D
    Haha, yeah Samuel L hit the nail right on the head there!

A lot of British people do still think that Ireland is part of Britain, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

The recent developments in the FF goverment have done more damage and enforced the stereotye image of Ireland and the Irish abroad more so than any British made tv programme about Ireland ,presented by an Irishman ,could ever do . If anything , Wogans Ireland will educate people who may have not being to familier with it's history, it's landscape and traditions ,that much better than any Board Failte guide could .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Its an image we like to project of ourselves, is it not?

Come to Ireland for the craic, the pubs etc..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Lol I've seen nothing but that from Canadians. I never ever ask someone if they're American out of fear of incurring their possible Canadian wrath.

You picked me up wrong there. I'm talking about reference to the land mass not nationality. Of course the Candaians dislike being called American - who wouldn't?

Another thing, what about Father Ted?

With reference to Fr Ted , it's Ironic that somebody should worry about the sterotype Irish image when it had a wide audience of Irish , English and International audience who in the main , all laughed their socks off at it .

That programme as well as Family guy and Simpsons with their Irish 'top O the morning to ya ' cartoon characters didn't stop English or any tourists coming to Ireland now either did it ?

• Advertisement

Latchy wrote: »
    With reference to Fr Ted , it's Ironic that somebody should worry about the sterotype Irish image when it had a wide audience of Irish , English and International audience who in the main , all laughed their socks off at it .

?

Sorry have to clarify why I posted Father Ted up, it was in answer to the poster who seemed to have a problem with the image of the Irish projected by a new BBC comedy.

I also find it confusing that someone might be upset by Terry's show and mention of drink when its an image we have no problem using in trying to sell ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

As a cartographer I've long been fascinated by the use of maps and nomenclature for propaganda purposes. For example, when the British Empire was at its height most of its territory was situated at the northern and southern extremities of the world. In Britain, maps of the world were always published with Britain at its centre and with projections that exaggerated the size of Canada, Australia & southern Africa relative to the rest of the world. These territories were then coloured red and the maps were hung on the walls of schools throughout the Empire, including Ireland.

You see it didn't matter if Britain actually controlled a certain territory or had any right to, once it was coloured red then, in the minds of the people, it was British.

This valuable imperial propaganda tool was first learned in Ireland. The first English ruler to be recognised by the pope as the de jure monarch of Ireland was Mary Tudor. When her half sister, Elizabeth, became queen, she set about becoming the de facto ruler of Ireland by subjugating the gaelic chieftains.

A supporter of this policy was the English imperialist John Dee. As mentioned already, he coined the phrase, British Isles, to convey the idea that not only did England deserve to rule Ireland, but that it was also their right to. So the term British Isles was originally a political tool.

My objection to the term is that it is misleading. To come from the British Isles implies that you are British. It confuses people to such an extent that I've had to explain to a Spaniard that Irish people carry Irish passports not British ones! I had to give an American a tongue lashing when he stated that my head of state was Elizabeth Windsor! I also had to correct a Canadian when he said that he found my British accent hard to understand. In each of these cases the root of the misunderstanding was that damned phrase, the British Isles.

People often use the Irish Sea as a counter argument. That's a red herring. Irish people called that body of water Muir Mhanann, or the Sea of Mann. The English called it the Irish Sea, meaning you had to cross it to get to Ireland.

Another red herring is the Iberian Peninsula. This is obviously a neutral term. Call it the Spanish Peninsula to a Portuguese and watch the steam blast out of their ears.

so what did the early Greek cartographers refer to these islands as then?

OPENROAD wrote: »
    I also find it confusing that someone might be upset by Terry's show and mention of drink when its an image we have no problem using in trying to sell ourselves.
    That's more or less were I am coming from to ,drinking in an Irish pub is the first thing many tourists wish to do and it's not like Terry spent the whole hr in the pub getting sloshed ,so for somebody to have some hang up about that is strange.

Edit - sorry i wasn't refering to your post but the previous poster whom we both quoted ,was actually agreeing with you ....cheers

I haven't seen it but am guessing it's Mrs browns Boys .

That's more or less were I am coming from to ,drinking in an Irish pub is the first thing many tourists wish to do and it's not like Terry spent the whole hr in the pub getting sloshed ,so for somebody to have some hang up about that is strange.

Its the new airport style documentary comedy with the two Little Britain guys.

Re: The drinking thing, its something we openly market about ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭YoureATowel

so what did the early Greek cartographers refer to these islands as then?

They used ancient Greek words. When translated into modern English these words are taken to mean Ireland and Britain.

This is another red herring. Once upon a time an ancient Greek made a reference to a pair of northern barbarian islands. Later, in The Geographia, Ptolemy gave them distinctive names. He had one name for Ireland and another name for Britain. Nobody knows how he arrived at these names but they eventually evolved into the Latin words Hibernia and Britannia. All in all this has nothing to do with the modern, politically loaded term, "the British isles".

It's funny though, after the fall of the Roman Empire, Irish monks copied and then distributed ancient Greek texts across northern Europe. As a result this almost independent Irish monastic tradition became quite influential and powerful, too powerful for Rome. The Pope implored the Roman Catholic English to invade Ireland to help control this prospective breakaway and therefore rival Irish church. Later it would seem that the knowledge that Irish monks worked so hard to keep alive would be corrupted and then used by English imperialists to justify their invasion of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

The programme covered a 'moving statute'
    Caused quite a stir in legal circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Dionysus wrote: »
    I think you'll find that, in actual historical fact, the earliest known use of the term "British Isles" in the English language is very definitely an imperialist usage, by the English imperialist John Dee in a 1577 treatise claiming Ireland for the Tudor crown. See the current edition of the Oxford English Dictionary for confirmation of this etymology.

I'm fully aware of the imperial history of the title. My point is that it is not used, at present, as a possessive or some imperialistic expression of British claims to Ireland. If we were to delete and alter words because of their past connations, then that Oxford English Dictionary of yours would need quite a bit of redacting!
    As a previous poster showed "British Isles" has, in fact, fallen out of use with modern academics, many of whom have explicitly stated the reasons for their opposition to the term. The term is noticeably avoided by the vast majority of media in Ireland where "Britain and Ireland", among other terms, is used instead...

And academics are known for being amongst the most PC and overly sensitive groups in society. Recently there has been a trend amongst Western historians to replace "AD" or Anno Domini with "CE" or Common Era. So I'd suggest that touting academic lexicon in such matters doesn't exactly clinch the argument.
    Finally, for a term which you contend is 'not likely to fall out of use anytime soon' it is notable that it is entirely avoided in all treaties between the states of Ireland and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, most conspicuously in the body they established in 1998, the 'British-Irish Council', not the 'Council of the British Isles'...

I don't really see how that negates my point. Treaties and official governmental correspondence are full of terms and titles which have little bearing on the general lexicon. The British Isles may have been dropped from Anglo/Irish treaties, but the term has not been dropped from the every day vernacular of these islands.
    In other words, it's untrue to say that British Isles is not imperialist in its origins, or that its use is not in decline. On the contrary, the term is clearly increasingly avoided by both British and Irish governments, and a wide range of important non-governmental organisations in Ireland, Britain and the United States. Whether anybody cares or not does not negate the clear evolution in how this term is perceived, and avoided, by very many people and institutions today.

In the first instance, you're using a straw man argument. I never claimed that the term was not imperialist in origin; rather that the term, as used at present, is not imperialist. Secondly, I never claimed it was not in decline, but rather that it is not likely to fall out of common use anytime soon. You haven't come close to refuting either point.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a zealous advocate of the phrase, but rather that the phrase is, nowadays, used as a geograpical expression rather than an instrument of imperial policy,. and that people should understand it as it is meant, rather than taking offence where none is intended.

God I can't wait to get out of this stinking country and move to England.

They used ancient Greek words. When translated into modern English these words are taken to mean Ireland and Britain.

This is another red herring. Once upon a time an ancient Greek made a reference to a pair of northern barbarian islands. Later, in The Geographia, Ptolemy gave them distinctive names. He had one name for Ireland and another name for Britain. Nobody knows how he arrived at these names but they eventually evolved into the Latin words Hibernia and Britannia. All in all this has nothing to do with the modern, politically loaded term, "the British isles".

It's funny though, after the fall of the Roman Empire, Irish monks copied and then distributed ancient Greek texts across northern Europe. As a result this almost independent Irish monastic tradition became quite influential and powerful, too powerful for Rome. The Pope implored the Roman Catholic English to invade Ireland to help control this prospective breakaway and therefore rival Irish church. Later it would seem that the knowledge that Irish monks worked so hard to keep alive would be corrupted and then used by English imperialists to justify their invasion of Ireland.

I was under the impression Ptolomy referred to Hibernia Albion, the Islands of Brittania.

Sure, John Dee coined the phrase British Empire and popularised the name British Isles,but he didn't make it up, it was in use prior to that.

It sound to me as though his use of the term is used as propaganda by both sides of the arguments. If the name is a modern made up one, why is there no push to rename Ireland Hibernia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Is there any other nation on earth who is more obsessed with their perception abroad than the Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm fully aware of the imperial history of the title. My point is that it is not used, at present, as a possessive or some imperialistic expression of British claims to Ireland. If we were to delete and alter words because of their past connations, then that Oxford English Dictionary of yours would need quite a bit of redacting!

Yes it is is. How about Irish isles instead?

Oxford dictionary is originally English hence its obvious they have no problem with the term.
    The British Isles may have been dropped from Anglo/Irish treaties, but the term has not been dropped from the every day vernacular of these islands.

How about respecting what the Irish want to call this island instead?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a zealous advocate of the phrase, but rather that the phrase is, nowadays, used as a geograpical expression rather than an instrument of imperial policy,. and that people should understand it as it is meant, rather than taking offence where none is intended.

It implies British ownership of Ireland and that I am British which I am not. Ireland does not call Britain an Irish Isle and Britons would be downright offended if they were called not being British.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    It implies British ownership of Ireland and that I am British which I am not. Ireland does not call Britain an Irish Isle and Britons would be downright offended if they were called not being British.

As said earlier, Canadians are not Americans even though Canada is North America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

oh sweet Jesus now all they need is Des Lynam to join them, so us Irish can see the error in our ways and move back into the commonwealth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭macman2010

The recent developments in the FF goverment have done more damage and enforced the stereotye image of Ireland and the Irish abroad more so than any British made tv programme about Ireland ,presented by an Irishman ,could ever do . If anything , Wogans Ireland will educate people who may have not being to familier with it's history, it's landscape and traditions ,that much better than any Board Failte guide could .

According to board Failte, the only thing thing to do in this country is play golf, climb a mountain and finish it off with a hot stone massage.
    Powerscourt looked amazing in fairness.
    My only gripe with the programme was that they conveniently forgot to mention that during the fammine all meat produce was exported to the motherland while the population starved.

As said earlier, Canadians are not Americans even though Canada is North America.

So? Ireland ain't in Britain either if you're using the landmass theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

This is all kinds of embarrassing gurramok...just stop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Renn wrote: »
    This is all kinds of embarrassing gurramok...just stop :(

you don't have to read the thread or spam post if it irritates

I for one despise the term, the British know that it irks Irish people so why do they continue to use it?

its probably down just down to pure and utter arrogance and the ingrained thoughts of superiority of a bygone era of the "empire"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Eamo71 wrote: »
    The term British Isles has long been removed from Irish Geography books. It's an outdated term since we are no longer in the British Empire.
    The more correct term is "These Islands".

Ha ha ha .... "These Islands" !!!!...ha ha ha dem across the waaater" !!!!!

You've obviously been brainwashed by this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDC5DGPJ1CI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Actually "these islands" is more embarrassing. Anyway, you shouldn't really be getting worked up over this :/

Renn wrote: »
    Actually "these islands" is more embarrassing. Anyway, you shouldn't really be getting worked up over this :/

Nothing to be embarrassed about. Tony was just playing to a British audience and they use the term for Ireland whether the audience understand the ramifications of it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Ha ha ha .... "These Islands" !!!!...ha ha ha dem across the waaater" !!!!!

You've obviously been brainwashed by this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDC5DGPJ1CI

Yes, obviously.

• Advertisement

This thread is embarassing Ireland more than the BBC ever could

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Auvers wrote: »
    you don't have to read the thread or spam post if it irritates

I for one despise the term, the British know that it irks Irish people so why do they continue to use it?

its probably down just down to pure and utter arrogance and the ingrained thoughts of superiority of a bygone era of the "empire"

Indeed. I always fail to detect any sense of irony when I hear some British commentators refer to the British Empire.

So? Ireland ain't in Britain either if you're using the landmass theory.

Which is correctly reflected in the term "Isles".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Has anybody ever heard an Irish person use the term "British Isles" to describe Ireland? I certainly haven't.

Maybe - and it's a big maybe - it was commonly used in the 19th century by Irish people, but nowadays even most British people avoid it. It generally is used by jingoistic types trying to make a political point.

The British historian Diarmaid MacCulloch, a deacon of the Church of England, in his brilliant History of Christianity (2008) says this about why he avoids using the term "British Isles" and instead uses "Atlantic Isles":

"the collection of islands which embraces England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales has commonly been known as the British Isles. This title no longer pleases all the inhabitants of the islands, and a more neutral description is 'the Atlantic Isles'"

There's a long list of academics who now avoid using the term "British Isles" and instead use "Atlantic Isles", "Atlantic Archipelago" "Britain and Ireland", "Iona" among other terms. They can be found here. Those of you who think "British Isles" is "the name" of this archipelago need to update your knowledge banks, and look at the sort of people who use that term today.

Oh sweet Lord, you watch the show & pick out that :rolleyes:

There have been countless threads about the term 'British Isles' its been done to death over the years on Boards.ie, the augument goes thus; The term is a geographical term which describes this archipelago of some six thousand (big, small, & tiny) islands which lay off the coast of North West Europe > the counter argument being "We don't like the word 'British' being included in the term! even though the word British in this context derives from Bretagne, Big Bretagne, off the coast of Brittany . . .

For Gods sake man, British Isles is a perfectly good geographical term & Terry used it in its true context, when refering to small islands which lie off the coast.

P.S. I bought a giant Atlas (2008 edition) over Christmas in Easons, and in the 'Physical' section it uses the term to describe this archipelago. People must seperate their hatred for the British people/State from the geographical reality of where we live on the planet. The term Britain & Ireland does not include the islands Sir Terry spoke of, (hence he used the perfectly correct term).

I always use the term when lecturing on Climate (within this group of islands).

LordSutch wrote: »
    Oh sweet Lord, you watch the show & pick out that :rolleyes:

There have been countless threads about the term 'British Isles' its been done to death over the years on Boards.ie, the augument goes thus; The term is a geographical term which describes this archipellago of some six thousand (big, small, & tiny) islands which lay off the coast of North West Europe > the counter argument being "We don't like the word 'British' being included in the term! even though the word British in this context derives from Bretagne, Big Bretagne, off the coast of Brittany . . .

For Gods sake man, British Isles is a perfectly good geographical term & Terry used it in its true context, when refering to small islands which lie off the coast.

P.S. I bought a giant Atlas (2008 edition) over Christmas in Easons, and in the 'Physical' section it uses the term to describe this archilellago. People must seperate their hatred for the British people/State from the geographical reality of where we live on the planet. The term Britain & Ireland does not include the islands Sir Terry spoke of, (hence he used the perfectly correct term).

Yeah...... but the famine like!

LordSutch wrote: »

P.S. I bought a giant Atlas (2008 edition) over Christmas in Easons, and in the 'Physical' section it uses the term to describe this archilellago. People must seperate their hatred for the British people/State from the geographical reality of where we live on the planet. The term Britain & Ireland does not include the islands Sir Terry spoke of, (hence he used the perfectly correct term).

Oh sweet lord indeed. Whats wrong with calling it Irish Isles?

I don't think i've ever heard an Irish weather forecaster use the term British Isles. Its not recognised by the Irish state so it ain't a "perfectly good geographical term"

I love British people so where did you derive that hatred label from? Do you hate Irish people?(now see how ridiculous that sounds?)

I love British people

Aah gee, thanks. I love you too.

Aah gee, thanks. I love you too.

Hook up for Valentines? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

COAST. An excellent program covering the British Isles do reference the difference as they come into each section of the islands, as it's not only ROI who object, Scotland and Wales like to point out the areas that were never British.

And as mentioned in Terry's programme, calling Ireland the Emerald Isle plays on the BI concept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

Oh sweet lord indeed. Whats wrong with calling it Irish Isles?

I don't think i've ever heard an Irish weather forecaster use the term British Isles. Its not recognised by the Irish state so it ain't a "perfectly good geographical term"

I love British people so where did you derive that hatred label from? Do you hate Irish people?(now see how ridiculous that sounds?)

please just stop. i feel so provincial when im exposed to people like you.

the program. my ma said it was an hour long advert for tourism in Ireland and that the country looked amazing clearly shot with a proper budget with the involvement of just about the most perfect presenter for tourism irelands target demographic. tourist board chiefs must have been creaming in their pants.

i dont now what some posters on here were expecting, an expose on the rap scene in limerick or dublins dub step scene? the reality is ireland is overexposed a drinking destination in the uk, but now it is also known for being expensive. this is not good in these times.

i think business outside of dublin will benefit hugely from the renewed effort to go after the blue rinse brigade. i would imagine its just like ireland, these are the ones with the real money.

Advertisement