Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight refund and taxes?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hello All,

I was due to travel on an aerlingus flight and for medical reasons I was unable to travel. At the time I tries to claim back for the flight as I had travel insurance but I was being pushed from pillar to post and never got anything back.:mad:

Is it too late to start the process again? Is is still possible to get some money back?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't know how you'd go about getting your flight fare back from the insurance but I know if you didn't actually fly, you're entitled to the taxes back from Aer Lingus and should contact them directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

I had a similar situation a few years back except the reasons I couldn't fly were not medical. Aer Lingus as the carrier were responsible for the tax refund on the flight which I received once I officially cancelled the flight. As regards the cost of the flight they gave me the number of the insurers. My reasons for cancellation although unavoidable didn't meet the criteria of the contract so I didn't get that portion back.

However if your reasons are genuinely medical and you have a letter etc from the appropriate medical source you should be entitled to a refund of the flight cost. Not sure if there's a time limit on claiming your refund, best thing to do is ring the insurers and ask I guess :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

bensboys wrote: »
    Is it too late to start the process again?

You didn't say when the flight was, so it's not possible for anyone to know if it's too late now.

If you had insurance, and it covers missing a flight for medical reasons, then get a claim form and claim back the full amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bensboys

jor el wrote: »
    You didn't say when the flight was, so it's not possible for anyone to know if it's too late now.

If you had insurance, and it covers missing a flight for medical reasons, then get a claim form and claim back the full amount.

The flight was in October 2008, I cancelled the flight with aer lingus but heard nothing at the time.... not a sign of any refund!

I went to the insurance company at the time and they were continually making me jump through hoops, I eventually gave up:(

I heard an advert on the radio recently from a company who will do all the legwork on your behalf but couldn't remember their name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

www.airtaxrefund.com
    They charge 20% of whatever you get back (if you get anything), but I'd say that after two and a half years, you may not get anything. Giving up on the insurance claim was a mistake. They always try everything they can to make you quit, but that doesn't mean you won't get your money back in the end if you just keep at it.

If you had a valid claim, then they can't deny it. I'm not sure how long you have to make a claim, it may depend on the Insurance company and their T&Cs, but you might still be able to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 redstar

Are you sure they charge 20% of the refund ? I don't see that on their website.

From their website

Our Fees

* The fee we charge is €5 per person per application.
    * This is inclusive of VAT, where applicable.
    * This covers:
    o our own costs associated with the time and technology involved in retrieving customers’ taxes, fees and charges,
    o the cost to us of transactions with credit card providers and
    o makes a contribution towards the campaign to change the practice of airlines on passengers’ behalf.
    * We hope that our campaign, together with the efforts of consumer agencies and other regulators will succeed in eliminating the airlines’ punitive administration fee. When and if this happens, we will review our own fees.

Advertisement