Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think is the reason for our high rate of obesity?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

or for an academic source criticising dietary guidelines like the food pyramind:

Elsevier Journal of Nutrition (2010)
    "In the face of contradictory evidence: Report of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans Committee"
    Abstract:
    Concerns that were raised with the first dietary recommendations 30 y ago have yet to be adequately addressed. The initial Dietary Goals for Americans (1977) proposed increases in carbohydrate intake and decreases in fat, saturated fat, cholesterol, and salt consumption that are carried further in the 2010 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC) Report. Important aspects of these recommendations remain unproven, yet a dietary shift in this direction has already taken place even as overweight/obesity and diabetes have increased. Although appealing to an evidence-based methodology, the DGAC Report demonstrates several critical weaknesses, including use of an incomplete body of relevant science; inaccurately representing, interpreting, or summarizing the literature; and drawing conclusions and/or making recommendations that do not reflect the limitations or controversies in the science. An objective assessment of evidence in the DGAC Report does not suggest a conclusive proscription against low-carbohydrate diets. The DGAC Report does not provide sufficient evidence to conclude that increases in whole grain and fiber and decreases in dietary saturated fat, salt, and animal protein will lead to positive health outcomes. Lack of supporting evidence limits the value of the proposed recommendations as guidance for consumers or as the basis for public health policy. It is time to reexamine how US dietary guidelines are created and ask whether the current process is still appropriate for our needs.

http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0899900710002893
    http://www.sportfuel.com/userfiles/file/hite_dgac_critique_nutrition_2010.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Portion sizes.

Less physical activity (technology such as car, escalators etc reduce our having to use our own bodies to complete tasks).

Food additives

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

pecker1992 wrote: »
    show me where the proof is that carbs are non essential.........i dropped 2.5 stone about 2 years ago... im fit as a fiddle have a 6 pack etc and never cut carbs..just switched to some low fat alternatives and 1 top little secret i use.......also i stay away from bad food like sausages takeaways etc..id challenge anyone to debate with me that a high fat low carb diet is healthier that a high carb low fat..... its nonsense...ever look at the food pyramid man??...now unless your gonna argue with me that top nutritionists are wrong in which case im not even gonna respond because it clearly shows wholegrain & carbs as a staple with 6+ servings a day....so i suggest not only do you do your homework but go look at the basics & whats best:)......a well balanced diet which hits all sections on the food pyramid accordingly......also some pizzas are up to 14.5g of fat per quarter....making it 58g per pizza...thats almost a days intake..id consider that high...and my family owned a chinese for 10 years and i used too cook in the kitchen..i know how high fat they are..and believe me the amount of fat in Chinese is far more worrying than the carbs

You can live completely fine without any carbs, it's called a ketogenic diet and it has been shown to cure epilepsy and remove symptoms of schizophrenia. You cannot, however, live without fats or protein.

Yes, I'm suggesting those who advocate the traditional food pyramid are not only wrong but complete charlatans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I think we eat too much and drink too much of everything. Pints, alcopops, wine, bread, pasta, potatoes, take aways, pizza, crisps, sodas, biscuits, muffins, as a nation we always seem to be eating. People can't even go to the cinema without loading up on junk- to sit and watch a film.
    That said it took me a number of years to rethink my own eating habits, but I was keen to educate myself and keener still to break habits before they became ingrained.
    Most people seem to want the quick fix when it comes to weight. That's why Lipotrim, Celebrity Slim and all that garbage does well here, yet the secret to losing weight is already in everybody's hands. ( My mother is terribly overweight but refuses to do anything about it other than pay lip service to diets or adopt some fad or other because real change takes time and a little effort)

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    You can live completely fine without any carbs, it's called a ketogenic diet and it has been shown to cure epilepsy and remove symptoms of schizophrenia. You cannot, however, live without fats or protein.

Yes, I'm suggesting those who advocate the traditional food pyramid are not only wrong but complete charlatans.

I believe the original food pyramid was fully supported by the grain industry. :)

• Advertisement

...now unless your gonna argue with me that top nutritionists are wrong in which case im not even gonna respond because it clearly shows wholegrain & carbs as a staple with 6+ servings a day....

Don't take my word for it by the way, have a look at this well-referenced peer reviewed paper

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Cereal%20Sword.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Well done on the weight loss, you have much more to lose?
    I have not been "dieting" for a couple of months tbh. But my new good habits [still cant go near fast food or processed food, gone forever I think!! I also dont eat a huge amount of carbs, I must count over a few weeks and see.] and running addiction means the weight is falling a tiny amount each week, but nothing wild...

The weeks I go drinking with the lads it balances out, but that is once or twice a month these days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

''Long-term use of the ketogenic diet in children increases the risk of retarded growth, bone fractures, and kidney stones ''

now that just sounds so healthy man...

thats to help people with epilepsy.....and its been clearly stated that its a short term solution.....and shouldn't be used as an aid in weight loss long term...so tell me.. is this your everyday diet then??..the ones that doctors advise against???? well last time i went to the doctor he said my diet was great and i didn't need any change....i wonder what he'd have to say about people using the ketogenic diet long term for no other reason than weight management??......not a whole lot of good id imagine....food pyramid was put together by experts.......not people who think cutting a staple is the best way to go.....and also the topic here is why so many people are obese...im going to say iot again..becuase they eat nothing but dirt(takeaways & processed foods for dinner & lunch, alot of people eating frys rolls etc in the morning) if people bothered to even try and make a healthy meal, eat no takeaways and eat foods that focus on good nutrients rather than things like chicken baguettes or chipper food we wouldnt have this problem...

The great thing about experts is that real experts are not afraid to change their minds when new data come to the fore.
    I agree with you that a lot of irish people could lose weight if they altered their diets and stayed away from 'dirt'. But the fact remains we eat far too many carbs and they are fattening.

This by the way shows the new pyramid, also created by experts. http://belly-fat-loser.com/diet/the-new-food-guide-pyramid-–-will-it-really-help-you-lose-fat.php

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

''Long-term use of the ketogenic diet in children increases the risk of retarded growth, bone fractures, and kidney stones ''

Just be aware that those diets were poorly designed and often selenium and potassium deficient, both known factors in kidney stones.

There are hunter-gatherer tribes that spend almost 100% of their time in ketosis and they don't suffer kidney stones.

Having said that I don't think staying in ketosis constantly is a good idea, but drifting in and out of it is fine and may even be beneficial for the brain.

The food pyramid is a product of politics, not science, and most fat people eat too many carbs. Plus you did cut carbs when you lost weight, if you cut calories, you cut carbs, simple as.

P.S. Please please write in paragraphs, my eyes srsly.

• Advertisement

Just be aware that those diets were poorly designed and often selenium and potassium deficient, both known factors in kidney stones.

There are hunter-gatherer tribes that spend almost 100% of their time in ketosis and they don't suffer kidney stones.

Having said that I don't think staying in ketosis constantly is a good idea, but drifting in and out of it is fine and may even be beneficial for the brain.

The food pyramid is a product of politics, not science, and most fat people eat too many carbs. Plus you did cut carbs when you lost weight, if you cut calories, you cut carbs, simple as.

P.S. Please please write in paragraphs, my eyes srsly.

im aware them diets are poorly designed.....thats why i posted it

it maybe true that they do but then again if they were naturally raised like that it wouldn't come as any shock to the body to be in ketosis..whereas an irish person....

its far from a good idea......fats are not as stable as carbs for slow releasing energy....thats common knowledge...so while drifting in & out maybe ok its a terrible idea in the long run

as for the food pyramid......its easy to see its built on politics but nonetheless its a solid diet which hits all the spots (provided you use it correctly)....if you'd care for an example id gladly post what ive eaten today & yesterday:)

its just a basic case of irish people being slobs......what would be wrong with making bacon and cabbage with lean ham??...or if eatng chips get low fat ones.....thats my point i eat all those things..but when you cant have it all (fat & carbs) youve got to sacrifice something..eg eating stew without potatoes (low carb) :) or a chicken stir fry instead of beef (low fat).....if meals where more balanced....even a mixture of low carb & low fat over a week period so you dont miss any food you particularly like would be better than the diets people eat today...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

it maybe true that they do but then again if they were naturally raised like that it wouldn't come as any shock to the body to be in ketosis..whereas an irish person....

its far from a good idea......fats are not as stable as carbs for slow releasing energy....thats common knowledge...so while drifting in & out maybe ok its a terrible idea in the long run

I think I hear baby Jesus crying...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Eat less move more. Simple as that.

as for the food pyramid......its easy to see its built on politics but nonetheless its a solid diet which hits all the spots (provided you use it correctly)....if you'd care for an example id gladly post what ive eaten today & yesterday:)

its just a basic case of irish people being slobs......what would be wrong with making bacon and cabbage with lean ham??...or if eatng chips get low fat ones.....thats my point i eat all those things..but when you cant have it all (fat & carbs) youve got to sacrifice something..eg eating stew without potatoes (low carb) :) or a chicken stir fry instead of beef (low fat).....if meals where more balanced....even a mixture of low carb & low fat over a week period so you dont miss any food you particularly like would be better than the diets people eat today...

Did your great-grandmother eat lean ham? Did your ancesters eat Low Low and skim milk and Special K? If not they must have been mahusive!:pac:

Oh and please do post what you eat on a daily basis, I'd expect it to meet every single nutrient RDA of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭francie81

CaSCaDe711 wrote: »
    Laziness. Too much bad food, and more laziness. Tax all those foods at a much higher rate, allow fruit and veg to be available at a much lower price, and ban all kids from purchasing the large bottles of coke, large bags of crisps, and large bars of chocolate. Some parents need to wake up too, the amount of crap a lot of kids eat nowadays is amazing. Games consoles and digital tvs in nearly every home, along with flyers for local takeaways coming through the door almost weekly. Getting more like America every day.

I totally agree with your statement mate. I think most of obesity in the country is down to lack of activities and whats on our shelves, it really is disgusting to see that their is a mcdonalds, burger king, domino's pizza to name a few at nearly every street corner in the country. I was in Tampa twice before and from them visits I really could see why America is dubbed the fat nation unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Quite soon after I started dieting I had an argument with a bloke in work, basic point is that I said my diet success was not around me low carb'ing [he observed I was not eating carbs at lunch] - but I said my weight loss success was for other reasons...

But he pointed out that as a result of any sensible diet in the world you cut down carbs [and sugar] [look it up and check!] All those "I swear this is not atkins" diets, you end up eating much less carbs than the average person, and a very common theory these days is that is where the success of a diet lies - cutting down carbs and sugar [no one is saying they are bad in small/moderate amounts, but western people eat insane amounts of both, directly and indirectly.

As soon as I got my head around that it was a huge eye opener. I have read a lot about the subject since then, and modern science does indeed seem to confirm that.

As an aside, I had pretty active epilsepy for years and years before I started to loose weight. After I had started to loose a bit of weight [and "by accident", I was proper low carbing for ages] I have not had a single problem or episode of any nature. I started to eat properly and exercise more - and epilsepy is gone :)

Talk about an unintended side benefit :)

Did your great-grandmother eat lean ham? Did your ancesters eat Low Low and skim milk and Special K? If not they must have been mahusive!pacman.gif

Oh and please do post what you eat on a daily basis, I'd expect it to meet every single nutrient RDA of course.

I believe my great granmother lived off of potatoes mostly well according to her anyway.....oh but wait that couldnt be right thats carbs isnt it.......and she lived to 88...still eating potatoes..nobody said anything about having to meet every nutrient..if its just an argument your picking then your better off to find another person id rather not entertain it...but however

Today

breakfast

porridge (carbs)
    made with milk (dairy)
    some cold ham (meat)

snack

banana (fruit)

dinner

Sirlion Steak (meat)
    120g brown bread rolls (carbs)
    red pepper (veg)
    onion (veg)
    mushroom (veg)
    cheese (half slice) (dairy)
    cheese & spring onion spread on rolls instead of butter (i prefer this taste redface.gif) (i wouldnt even class this as anything) too small

snack

weight watchers lemon slice (my little treat)

workout (mostly weights 120 cal burnt during warm up & warm down)

post workout

muller light yogurt (empty really) & a few cashew nuts (again protein)

3rd meal

130g tuna (meat)
    Some tomato & garden peas (veg)
    other half slice of cheese (dairy)
    2 slices of bread (carbs)

SO lets do the math for today then

is there carbs (yes plenty)
    is there meat/ protein (again yes plenty)
    is there veg (again yes plenty)
    is there dairy (what a surprise yes there is)

all food groups hit :D

now lets go to yesterday

Today

breakfast
    Weetabix no added sugar
    Milk
    some cold ham

snack

Orange (fruit)

dinner

2 chicken fillets baked & spiced
    some natural yoghurt
    280g Baked potato's no added butter salt or other crap
    Bunch of garden peassome gravy with onions

snack

Weight watchers lemon slice (my treat :D)

Workout cardio session

snack
    muller light and a cracker with some peanut butter

3rd meal
    130g salmon (meat)
    Some tomato & mushrooms (veg)
    cheese (dairy)
    2 slices of bread (carbs)
    also cheese spread instead of butter ( i prefer it at night)

agian all food groups hit

ive no problem showing that im a fit healthy bloke either and i eat plenty of carbs..im pretty lean got good muscle & ive a 6 pack etc etc....now how about you post your diet?? lets just see how well balanced that is????

...food pyramid was put together by experts.......

If it was put together by so-called 'experts'...can you name any of them? Or are you just blindly believing anything you're told in adverts for shredded wheat? Thought so

Judging by your username you are only 19. When I was 19 I could eat huge amounts of crap and not gain any fat. Hell, I could eat loads of crap 2 years ago and not gain any weight. That doesn't mean eating grains as a staple of your diet is healthy

I think you misunderstand what people are saying, they are not saying that if you don't eat low carb you'll get fat, they are saying that a lot of fat people eat too much crappy refined carbs.

Also your diet is deficient in Vitamin A, D, E, K2 and C also calcium, iron, potassium magnesium, iodine and selenium. And the RDA's are only the bare minimum to prevent deficiency! Also you're eating 45% of diet as carbs, so lower than the food pyramid recommends. :)

Also your diet is deficient in Vitamin A, D, E, K2 and C also calcium, iron, potassium magnesium, iodine and selenium. And the RDA's are only the bare minimum to prevent deficiency! Also you're eating 45% of diet as carbs, so lower than the food pyramid recommends. :)

You forgot to ask 'how do ya like them apples?' :pac:

• Advertisement

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    You forgot to ask 'how do ya like them apples?' :pac:

i actually dont like apples to be honest..seen as you asked

I think you misunderstand what people are saying, they are not saying that if you don't eat low carb you'll get fat, they are saying that a lot of fat people eat too much crappy refined carbs.

yes i understand the refined carbs..but theres nothing wrong with wholegrain..very healthy for you. I take multivitamins & cod liver oil also....just in case you think im foolish enough to let vitamins slip..id like to see where that 45% came from please???
    If it was put together by so-called 'experts'...can you name any of them? Or are you just blindly believing anything you're told in adverts for shredded wheat? Thought so

Judging by your username you are only 19. When I was 19 I could eat huge amounts of crap and not gain any fat. Hell, I could eat loads of crap 2 years ago and not gain any weight. That doesn't mean eating grains as a staple of your diet is healthy

guess what..im 21..or do you just blindly believe every number beside a persons username is there birth year:o.....furthermore i dont watch television to see adverts..all my viewings consist of things on my p.c and im not home most of time..and to further prove what im talking about

American Dietetic Association As of 2003 in commenting on a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association, a spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association reiterated the association's belief that "there is no magic bullet to safe and healthful weight loss."[98] The Association specifically endorses the high-carbohydrate diet recommended by the National Academy of Sciences.
    American Heart Association The official statement from the AHA regarding these diets states categorically that the association "doesn't recommend high-protein diets."[99] A science advisory from the association further states the associations belief that these diets are "associated with increased risk for coronary heart disease."[27] The AHA has been one of the most adamant opponents of low-carbohydrate diets. Dr. Robert Eckel, past president, noted that the association supported low-fat and low-saturated-fat diets, but that a low-carbohydrate diet could potentially meet AHA guidelines.[100]
    Australian Heart Foundation The position statement by the Heart Foundation regarding low-carbohydrate diets states that "the Heart Foundation does not support the adoption of VLCARB diets for weight loss."[101] Although the statement recommends against use of low-carbohydrate diets it explains that their major concern is saturated fats as opposed to carbohydrate restriction and protein. Moreover, other statements suggest that their position might be re-evaluated in the event of more evidence from longer-term studies.
    Food Standards Agency (UK) The consumer advice statements of the FSA regarding low-carbohydrate diets state that "rather than avoiding starchy foods, it's better to try and base your meals on them." [102] They further state concerns regarding fat consumption in low-carbohydrate diets.
    Heart & Stroke Foundation (Canada) The official position statement of the Heart & Stroke Foundation states "Do not follow a low carbohydrate diet for purposes of weight loss."[103] They state concerns regarding numerous health risks particularly those related to high consumption of "saturated and trans fats".

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services The HHS issues consumer guidelines for maintaining heart health which state regarding low-carbohydrate diets that "they're not the route to healthy, long-term weight management."[106] Nevertheless HHS has issued some statements indicating wavering on this position.[107]

I suppose that every one of these people working for the biggest health services in the world are wrong too????...get real please your not more intelligent than these people there all highly qualified in what they do....they know whats best they are organizations set up to help people not kill them....i think many of you have this false theory that there's some conspiracy in the food world :/....seriously get real...if you cant lose weight without having to remove a food group then i think you either 1 (need to see a doctor for health reasons) or 2. (get up off your backside and hit the gym)....majority of low carb diets are made for people who couldn't be bothered to exercise....even anabolic diets that bodybuilders use have plenty of carbs (at the weekend anyway)...there is no argument here..the best diet is one that uses all food groups...theres nobody that can argue that matter

now why don't you post your diets and we'll see just how balanced they are???:D

yes i understand the refined carbs..but theres nothing wrong with wholegrain..very healthy for you.

For your own sake, read the study I posted earlier. Grains are not healthy

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70317612&postcount=67

you think im going to believe one paper over many different organizations??.......i suppose we'll tell the top athletes to not eat carbs too?? and the vegetarians...and the vegans.....and everyone else thats living healthily off of carbs to stop eating them...none of us have to push our bodies into ketosis to lose or even manage weight..we get on just fine with good old healthy exercise.....so i think you need to ask yourself again..if carbs are cut for no reason other than it's an easier way to lose weight.....and your telling me im the one that's not healthy????.....i think you need along hard think about things..and also i suppose my doctor's wrong & also the nutrionist i see once a month in the gym i train at?????....its Atkins based people that put this nonsense intp peoples heads in the 1st place..did you grow up eating no carbs??? did the majority of people on this forum?? no i dont think so and ive never heard of a grain related death..i have however heard of thousands of cases where fats (saturated & trans) have killed people..man do you homework...and not digging for Atkins based things..look at the statistics...

yes i understand the refined carbs..but theres nothing wrong with wholegrain..very healthy for you. I take multivitamins & cod liver oil also....just in case you think im foolish enough to let vitamins slip..id like to see where that 45% came from please???

A multivit doesn't contain enough of a lot of those nutrients (potassium, calcium, magnesium or K2 for example), and most multivits contain the less bioavailable versions of the vitamins, beta carotene instead of retinol or ineffective version of vitamin E.

Plus pretty much every commercial cod liver oil has been heat treated (I know of only two brands that aren't and they are expensive) and synthetic retinol replaced. Sythetic retinol is not good for you. If you think you're offsetting the glaring deficiencies in your diet with a multivitamin you know much less about nutrition than you think you do.
    The official statement from the AHA regarding these diets states categorically that the association "doesn't recommend high-protein diets."[99]

Oh this just gets better and better, your own diet you just posted is 27% protein! Hahahahaha!

Bleh....

It's gas, any time El D gets her claws on some fresh meat (ahem!) it reminds me how it wasn't so long ago that I was here spouting off all this naive, uninformed B.S about food pyramids and experts (blah, blah) and getting torn to shreds for it too :D Hopefully with some time, an open mind and endless enthusiastic, logical and well-backed up counter arguments from the El D another convertee will enter the fold... stranger things have happened, I'm eating steak like there's no tomorrow now after all! :pac:

You need to do a little home work youself Pecker1992. Starting here,

http://robbwolf.com/

Then moving along to here...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

There is a growing wealth of information coming to the fore that very much questions the healthiness of grains and whole grains and our need for them.

Nobody said you were unhealthy, for that matter no one said, as far as I can see, you need to eliminate all carbs from your diet. What people have said to you is that fat people generally eat too many carbs and that reducing them reduces weight.
    Also at 21, what you can eat now and what you can eat say at my age, 38, is very different. You might discover that when you're a little older the body has a number of ways poking holes in many theories.

By the way Kaiser asked that you read the paper, not 'believe' it over others blindly. This is how we learn and assess what is true and what is not. As I already mentioned, real experts are not afraid to change their minds when presented with new or improved data.

A multivit doesn't contain enough of a lot of those nutrients (potassium, calcium, magnesium or K2 for example), and most multivits contain the less bioavailable versions of the vitamins, beta carotene instead of retinol or ineffective version of vitamin E.

Plus pretty much every commercial cod liver oil has been heat treated (I know of only two brands that aren't and they are expensive) and synthetic retinol replaced. Sythetic retinol is not good for you. If you think you're offsetting the glaring deficiencies in your diet with a multivitamin you know much less about nutrition than you think you do.

Oh this just gets better and better, your own diet you just posted is 27% protein! Hahahahaha!

whats even more laughable is that ive answered every question that you've thrown at me....but you havent answered one of mine..except challenging what ive said about my own diet.............im no nutrition expert at all far from it..but the people i get my advice from ( my doctor & my nutrionist) i can say there a hell of a lot more qualified to tell me whats right and wrong than you are..where did your ''wealth'' of knowledge come from????? internet articles and Atkins biased books i imagine..you haven't the slightest clue what type of cod liver oil i take..what vitamins I take and you definatley cant prove that I eat 27.5 % protien in my diet per day.....as a matter of fact if you wanted to know what on average i eat per day in protien you'd take what i eat in a week & divide by 7....thats not including the fact that i also eat packets of cold turkey jsut as i walk in & out of the kitchen.....ohh look i actually showed how i got a figure... simple maths..care to show where yours came from or are you jsut going to dodge that question like you did every other????? i will state im not going to argue with you any further unless you address the questions i asked you..because quite frankly if you cant im led to believe that your just steering away from them by posting random things about my diet
    Sapsorrow wrote: »
    It's gas, any time El D gets her claws on some fresh meat (ahem!) it reminds me how it wasn't so long ago that I was here spouting off all this naive, uninformed B.S about food pyramids and experts (blah, blah) and getting torn to shreds for it too :D Hopefully with some time, an open mind and endless enthusiastic, logical and well-backed up counter arguments from the El D another convertee will enter the fold... stranger things have happened, I'm eating steak like there's no tomorrow now after all! :pac:

im perfectly fit & healthy without any of this ''carbs makes you obese nonsense and this ''el d'' hasnt even answered a basic question that ive asked her..or show where a simple figure came from...id rather take advice from qualified people thank you :)
    You need to do a little home work youself Pecker1992. Starting here,

http://robbwolf.com/

Then moving along to here...

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

There is a growing wealth of information coming to the fore that very much questions the healthiness of grains and whole grains and our need for them.

Nobody said you were unhealthy, for that matter no one said, as far as I can see, you need to eliminate all carbs from your diet. What people have said to you is that fat people generally eat too many carbs and that reducing them reduces weight.
    Also at 21, what you can eat now and what you can eat say at my age, 38, is very different. You might discover that when you're a little older the body has a number of ways poking holes in many theories.

By the way Kaiser asked that you read the paper, not 'believe' it over others blindly. This is how we learn and assess what is true and what is not. As I already mentioned, real experts are not afraid to change their minds when presented with new or improved data.

Ive read some of it ...not all but some.....i have no doubt that low carb is a quick way to lose weight short term..but its not correct for daily maintenance...i would argue this fact but some things ive posted have been ignored overlooked or maybe even avoided because they cant answer them...i dont know?...

What make you think a diet low in carbs is not correct for maintenance?

For example I eat almost no bread, rice, potatoes or pasta 98% of the time (I am leaving the percentage for my continued love affair with burritos) but I DO eat large amounts of eggs, cheese, fish, dairy seafood and vegetables, including sweet potato, which I would consider my carbiest ( if you will) of foods. My weight does not fluctuate, my energy levels are high, my blood pressure fantastic, my cholesterol absolutely fine and best of all it is incredibly easy to maintain and I have eaten this way now for close to two years with no issue.
    Through this eating plan I have completely eliminated a tendency to bloat, something I had always considered hereditary, but now figured out is just a minor reaction to gluten.

The new food pyramid clearly rebukes the one that went before. I'm not saying a one size fits all diet either, but for the * average* person, a reduction in carbs can be hugely beneficial to their health and weight.

• Advertisement

id rather take advice from qualified people thank you :)

I am qualified and I regularly take advice from El D :D I don't presume to know it all though just because I have the papers, and would consider El D one of the most knowledgeable people (in terms of nutritional science anyway ;)) I've ever come across. She's just as knowledgeable (and probably considerably more so in some cases) as many of the prof's and practitioners I was taught by in college. It's actually a bit freaky :pac: At the end of the day, enthusiasm, personal experience and hours of self education can amount to a hell of a lot of expertise. Your blind trust in people who have authority in public health nutrition really is absurdly naive.

Advertisement