Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my Escalonia dead

• 24-01-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

My Escalonia has taken a serious battering over the past 2 years as have most of the Escalonias I have seen. One hedge is over 40 years old (8ft high x 40ft long & it has all been reduced to just twigs/sticks with hardly a leaf on it. It came back a bit last summer but this winter has really done some damage. Is it dead or is there anything I can do to revive it. Is everyone with an Escalonia in the same boat. The Griselina hedge also has had a tough winter & I see a lot of them losing their leaves

Thanks,

T.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭starlight09

Hi tigertim,
    I am in the same boat as you. My escallonia is nothing but twigs also. I have 120feet of hedging made up of escallonia and olearia, I also had a lot of Goldbrian shrubs, alas I will have a lot of digging to do this spring. Last years frost did some serious damage, I cut them back below the frost damaged area and they put on some lovely shoots, I thought great, there is hope but unfortunately with the frost again this winter, they didn't stand a chance. I also have damage to cordyline trees. The layout of my garden has changed completely thanks to mother nature.

I think the garden centers will find it hard to sell hedging this spring. One gardener said I should consider setting Leylandii trees, he said they are fast growers, can withstand strong winds and frost. I will have to get more info though before I spend money on them. I need to be sure this time seeing as our winters have changed.

Advertisement