Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

citydeal

• 24-01-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

having had a few threads on the subject of citydeal etc

I am curious as to what products like canvas prints etc people are interested in

do people buy them just because they are really cheap

do they buy them because they are a good deal

or is it that its something you been waiting out for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

That's the beauty of citydeal - lots of people keep an eye on it for things they wouldn't normally consider but are a good idea and a bargain.

Edit: Just to explain a bit - I don't think most people would come up with the idea of an A2 print of a photo on their own. But when something like citydeal pops it up on their facebook cause they've "Liked" it at some point, a lot of them will think "Oh yeah - that sounds good - I have a lovely pic of that beach we were at in the summer..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

ah ok cool

i am trying to figure out what the appeal is

if its the bargin price, or if its hey theres something i would like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Are you sure you're really that naive?

"2 for the Price of 1"

"Buy 2 Get One Free"

"50% Off"

People love bargains... it's that simple. People want their money to go further. People want more for less.

People will end up buying things they don't necessarily need and whether or not it all adds up at the end of the day is often irrelevant... that overwhelming feeling of getting a bargain more often than not probably far outweighs the underlying guilt of not actually truly needing the item(s) in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Yeah people just can't resist a bargain cause they don't think about how even a bargain is money they weren't intending to spend in the first place.

It's hard-wired into the average person's personality - if they see something that is half-price they will stop and think about buying it for no other reason than they save half of whatever the price is if they decide to buy it. Doesn't matter that if they'd never seen it they'd save the same amount.

Citydeal is a great way to grab that attention and extra turnover. That's why it's worth a fortune and google are making their own version of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

stcstc wrote: »
    ah ok cool

if its the bargin price, or if its hey theres something i would like

At one stage or another, most photographers will find out about canvas prints and go "Wow, I've a photo that's suit perfectly for the house/office/etc", then they go and check the price, and are completely put off. Especially now, when throwing cash away at a big photo print isn't exactly on top of the priorities.

If you see the same thing again, except with 50% off - While it still might not be on top of the priorities list, you can make an exception because it's worth your while - you save money and get what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

stcstc wrote: »
    having had a few threads on the subject of citydeal etc

I am curious as to what products like canvas prints etc people are interested in

do people buy them just because they are really cheap

do they buy them because they are a good deal

or is it that its something you been waiting out for?

It's not just photographers that are interested in buying it though, it's the fact it's being opened up to a different target market than people with higher end cameras, who'd never go looking for canvas prints unless it popped up on Citydeal/boardsdeals etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Trigger76

I have a list of things I want printed, framed, on canvas, books etc.

As offers come up I work my way through the list, rarely Id pay the full list price as web offers are pretty frequent and Im generally satisfied with the quality of the work from the sites I've used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Steve would I be right in saying, somewhere in the back of your mind, you're trying to decide between advertising and promotions/deals? Spend the money on advertising, or absorb the cost from deals?

Normally advertising is the key, but I think nowadays especially, promotions and deals are the key particularly in photography.

For example, if someone saw an ad for canvas prints (they're popular nowadays and don't require framing etc like a print does) at a standard price, like it has been said, it'd not high on their priorities.

However, if they see a deal for a very reasonably priced stretched canvas print, and the source has good reviews (like you do) and can prove excellent quality, then your going to get a few sales at least. Definitely more than a normal add.

Maybe the original question didn't have this motive, but I still think it applies here.

i was interested is what people would like to see as deals, yes i am looking at running something and have a copuple of ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Personally, I want so many things that my income does not allow me. But that does not stop me wanting them. So when I see price (bargain, discount, deal) that makes it easier to purchase, I am willing to spend considerably less money. It is purely value for money. Don't take it personally, but in most of services and products here in Ireland, I just cannot see the value of much higher price than abroad, e.g. in the north of Ireland.
    So deals are good, because I get better value for money and I know that I am not paying for advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the best thing you can do is offer a 90% off deal to anyone who has posted in this thread, up to and including my post, and see how much business that generates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I'd love to be able to get some halfway decent frames in sizes that I printed things at. (standard sizes in inches.. for some reason the standard sizes on this side of the Atlantic are significantly different.)

I have some 10x15" prints, and an 18x24" print that I'd really like to have in frames without paying a fortune to get them custom framed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ms_Ali_B

I used a city deal for a large canvas recently that was normally €96 and was on offer for €36. Was really impressed with the results (Used a colour image turned to B&W and put some breakthrough spot colour back in using PS). Delivery using DHL was included.

The company was hellocanvas.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

i missed out on this by a day. annoyed.
    as others mentioned it's not on the top of my list but if I see a good deal then I'l think about it (whereas otherwise I wouldn't).

for a canvas i look for value, I'm presuming that the quality will be grand at least (from all companies) so i'm not looking for a frame that is extra sturdy etc. Of course that's good to have but it all comes down to price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Steve, you should consider the fact that running a promotion/deal will be advertising in itself. After the deal has come and gone the name of the company should be on the minds of many people.

And after people get one canvas print may consider getting others in future, potentially with your business.

Also recurring deals e.g. 50% off this print and 20% you next prints, etc...

yea thats kind of how i am looking at it as you dont make any money as city deal take 50% of the offer price!!!!

i am not looking at canvas actually there are way to many people offering it on those deals

I have another couple of products in mind, and was trying to tease out of people anything else that sprung to their minds of offers they liked the idea of

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ms_Ali_B

I see it as a way to alert people to a service at a good price. I have bought deals for something I'm not necessarily shopping for but the deal has interested me. If the product is good chances are for the right price I'll be back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think your may undermine your reputation with the high end market trying to appeal to consumer level, maybe i'm wrong, just i wouldnt have faith in a company that over cut prices like that to create a high standard of work

mele

maybe your right actually thinking about it

maybe its not the right thing for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

i think your may undermine your reputation with the high end market trying to appeal to consumer level, maybe i'm wrong, just i wouldnt have faith in a company that over cut prices like that to create a high standard of work

what?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

if u can afford to have a special offer on something i dont see why not, it will attract new and old customers and when they see what a professional you are and the quality of service etc then surely thats only a good thing.
    lets not be snobby about high end v's consumer level, were all consumers, some people will always be happy going to tesco to get a dog printed on a mug.

i think the thing that would be undermining would be the way you market the offer. im sure theres ways to do it :D

Advertisement