Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

supply.ie: Spot the difference!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Just had a quick glance there, and I immediately preferred the existing design for one reason, it's simple. There is way too much going on in the new design, the call-to-actions at the top are cluttered and a bit tacky looking, there's so much text on the page it would nearly make you want to turn and run. It needs to be watered down and brought back basics because it is trying way too hard.

It brings to mind an excellent book I read based on the fundamental concept - Don't make the user think. Look at the new design and put yourself in the user's boots seeing this site for the first time, where would you start? The average user will not have much patience hanging around trying to find what they're looking for, it needs to be simple and the core concept needs to sold immediately. I can't tell what that is from the new design you gave me, my eyes are moving all over the page. Frankly I don't see what's so bad about the current solution, can that be used as a new base for improvements?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I'm with Jebuz on this, the new one is far too cluttered and the bold italic fonts are a nightmare to read.

The original design is far more coherent.

You should keep your old page but move your "Recently Completed Requests" above the fold and increase its height. Also move your 'Supply in 1 minute' video to a separate page - that video is only ever going to be of use once to a user and the real-estate it currently occupies is far too valuable to be wasted on that.

And yeh, get Don't Make me Think, it's an excellent book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Have you tried doing AB testing? Divert some of your traffic to the alternative home page and see what the response is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Prefer original too, the other one is cluttered.
    Maybe just put a bit of text under your "Source great local suppliers with competitive quotes" bit, but don't be afraid of whitespace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

BrianD wrote: »
    Have you tried doing AB testing? Divert some of your traffic to the alternative home page and see what the response is like.
    ABCDEF testing more like.:)

Old one problems:
    • Listings not above fold
    • Video too big
    • Not clear How it Works
    • Poor impact
    • Site
    (You also need to look at streamlining the registration)

New one:
    • Listings not above fold
    • No apparent space for value-added(more expensive) listings format
    • Header way too cluttered (should be 1 logo, 1 strapline, 1 login function, 1 search function, 1 phone no)
    • Unclear Calls to Action
    • A few too many typefaces and too much italicised
    • Another ~40 pixels width available
    • Too much content that seems like straplines (right of the logo, below the logo, 'Welcome to supply.ie...', the endorsement, the white text on grey and possibly the 2 questions before the green tick. How many times and ways do you have to say 'matching suppliers to your needs'. Keep the endorsement and say what you do once, maybe twice and clearly.
    • How it Works panel is better.
    • Horizontal navbar is too thick and could have better colour choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mikefm

Thanks folks. I had the similar thought process myself (i.e. current is too simple, new/re-designed is too busy) but I needed to hear it from others!

I like the idea of A-B testing. I know what it is but I don't know how to implement it. Are there software solutions that facilitate this? i.e. how do I complete these A-B tests? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Bizzman

Hi,

As per some of the previous posters there is far too much going on in the proposed re-design. I would be turned off immediately. Just a few points:

The bold italic font in the header isn't great and don't not appeal.
    There are too many colours going on (White, red, grey, black, blue and green). The picture of Jim Colley looks somewhat tacky as does the thumbs up.
    The main body is way too cluttered with call to actions.

Have a look at:

http://boagworld.com/design/10-techniques-for-an-effective-call-to-action/

In relation to the A/B testing. I haven't used it but I would suggest looking at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yTjj9MnzRY.

The website is http://www.abtests.com.

Have a look at getitkeepit.com for what I believe is an excellent interface. It is clear and the call to actions are very effective.

Best of luck as it's a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 paddy09

Hey,

They both have good and bad points and there is some bits in the new one that you should add to the current page.

I think the new one is just too cluttered. There's too much going on and would be a bit confusing for people.

You could have less text on the new home screen. You should leave in the "your local 1 stop shop" but remove the other tagline.
    I'd remove the text above the green tick as its too much to read but keep the text in the pink box as that's good and clear.

I think it would be better to put the testimonial down opposite the recent requests as it would be more appropriate there.

The other points I had have been made above already.

Overall i think a mix between the two versions is what would work best.

Just some usability feedback:

Why isn't 'Create a Request' hyperlinked? Is it because I'm not registered? If so you need to link it to the registration form or give it some sort of action. I was going to post a project the other night but gave up because of it. I could probably have clicked the 'Register' link but I assumed there was an issue with that site based upon the Create a Request link being broken and gave up.

Also there's ambiguity in your language, is a 'Request' the same as a 'Quotation Request'? Is so they need to be labelled the same.

Definitely get "Don't Make me Think" - it will help you spot a lot of issues.

The site offers a great service but there are issues that need addressing.

Thanks for the feedback all - common message is that current page is too sparse while proposed page is too busy. We will foster something in-between...

Cormee - supply.ie is only available to registered users also. Its quick and free if you are interested. Some further info @ https://supply.ie/Home?page=HowItWorks

Please let me know if I can assist

• Advertisement

Hi all,

As you know, I am considering redesigning the supply.ie homepage.

What do you think of the latest suggestion;
    http://i54.tinypic.com/6egp78.png

As always, all comments welcome - thank you.

mikefm wrote: »
    Hi all,

As you know, I am considering redesigning the supply.ie homepage.

What do you think of the latest suggestion;
    http://i54.tinypic.com/6egp78.png

As always, all comments welcome - thank you.

Visually it's better but you're still hiding your most valuable content below the fold, that content needs to be there, screaming at the site visitor once they hit the page. It tells me in an instant what the site is about about. Here's a quick hatchet job I did

doxki8.jpg

Yup, that's more like it. There's even more room to push more ads above the fold if the main centre graphic is squeezed and slightly rearranged. Still needs consideration to placing higher price ads though.

Thanks folks. I have asked the designers to move the testimonials & closed requests up higher on the page. The 3 icons/actions may then move to the bottom of the page but I do like Cormee's navigation, where they are on the right...

Why are you using closed/completed requests?:confused: They really should be open ones.

tricky D wrote: »
    Why are you using closed/completed requests?:confused: They really should be open ones.

Good point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

New one is much better, but seriously people, the fold. Is this the 90s?
    http://iampaddy.com/lifebelow600/
    http://uxmyths.com/post/654047943/myth-people-dont-scroll

Also, a related note, it's hard to believe the first redesign you posted and the second were done by the same designer. They're leagues apart.

Also, great link here:
    http://thinkvitamin.com/design/turning-visitors-into-users/

It's not so much about not scrolling, it's about the first thing which hits your eye and the impression made in the first few seconds and the clues as to what lurks further down. People still 'perform' best when the best info is in the hottest part of the heat map as opposed to having to scroll or search elsewhere no matter what decade of UX used.

One of the articles says:
    Our research shows the most effective place for content is above the fold, no surprises there. We are saying that people do scroll. Users scroll if there are cues to scroll and no design barriers to scrolling.

In the case of this site, the listings provide the cue, but in the first two versions there was nothing visible, no cue at all, nada, just bad clutter. There's also the other matter of premium position for higher priced ads if the tiered pricing model is adopted where the amount of cue above the fold might come into play again.

As Tricky d said, it's not about scrolling, it's about engaging the visitor quickly and maximising the potential of your most valuable real estate.

Thanks folks,

I appreciate the feedback and will share with the designers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement