Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MySql column summation across tables

• 24-01-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to define a table by item and location to store the number of despatches for a given item at a given location. Can I add code to item_location.num_despatches so that it will count the number of despatches of that item at that location. In other words what I want to be able to do is to have my application maintain Item, Location, Despatch etc but have MySql maintain item_location.num_despatches.

Item
    ----
    id {p/k}
    name

name

Item_Location
    id {p/k}
    item_id {f/k for item on item.id }
    location_id {f/k for location on location.id }
    num_despatches

Despatch
    id {p/k}
    item_id {f/k for item on item.id }
    location_id {f/k for location on location.id }
    item_location_id {f/k for item_location on item_location.id }
    etc

On insert of a despatch, I want the field item_location.num_despatches to be incremented by 1, and I want to have the database do it rather than coding it in the application.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'm familiar with mysql, but this posting is just too vague for me to be able to help... what relationships are there between the tables, what exactly do the fields relate to?? Could you run through what currently happens when you track a dispatch.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Ok, more details added. Hope this make it clearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

How are you creating the database and tables. are you using PHPMyAdmin or something... When you set up the table, I usually set all the id / primary key field as auto_increment..

mysqlauto.jpg

For example the above is a database for a GAA website, for displaying news stories.. I have set the storyid field to autoincrement... so when adding a new story to the database, the SQL statement would be something like

INSERT INTO stories('null', ... etc, etc etc, );

It will automatically add the story with the next available number as the storyid.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭BlueSpud

Your code causes the primary ID of the table to increment, so if you have 10 records already and you add another, it will automatically get an ID of 11. What I am looking for is different, I want a counter on the ITEM-LOCATION table to count the records on another table, but only those records that are for the same ITEM and LOCATION.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If MySQL supports triggers and the id field on the despatches table is auto increment you could possibly use an insert trigger on the despatches table to increment the count in the other table using the location id from the max(id) record on the despatches table.

• Advertisement
Advertisement