Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gait Analysis

• 24-01-2011 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Fisrt post on the A/R/T forum, been running about 2 months, up to about 5 miles three times a week now.
    I started running in an old pair of runners (Nike something or other), which are road runners. I am looking to upgrade and I was wondering about gait analysis. Specifically, does it work and what benefit, if any, would I see from having the correct type of runner for my gait ?

Also, from the shop thread, I see that elvery's do gait analysis. Has anyone here got it done ? Do they actually check your running style or just your arches ? I am in Leopardstown, so midway between Elvery's in Dundrum and Irishfit.eu in Carrickmines. I suspect that I might get a better analysis in Irishfit, but elvery's has a much larger range of shoes to choose from.

TIA

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Paul imo u should try Amphibian King in Bray...They've a great reputation and do gait analysis.. They will advise u in relation to what type runners u require.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

thanks Liamo, I also got another recommendation for that shop, so I'll give it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I took a trip to Amphibian King's new shop in Oranmore at lunchtime. For anyone Galway based, well worth the trip.
    Took a heat imprint of my foot to get an initial idea, then a barefoot video, and numerous videos of different shoes, I must have tried 8 different pairs.

What was very interesting was that I needed a neutral shoe, and almost certainly not my current Kayanos, as I have a neutral left foot and my right has a tiny amount of over pronation that corrects itself almost immediately.

I had done a previous analysis in Elvery's about 18 months ago and they suggested a support shoe, as I had some over pronation but never explained the varying levels of support, Kayano having the most support.

I had also done the Chi Running course with Catriona McKiernan, so some of the focus on that may have caused a change in my gait to a neutral one.

Will see how the new shoes go over the next couple of weeks, but it's all very interesting stuff, and I would have to recommend them as very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭clubcard

liamo123 wrote: »
    Paul imo u should try Amphibian King in Bray...They've a great reputation and do gait analysis.. They will advise u in relation to what type runners u require.......

They also have a new store in ballymount !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Foxx92

I took a trip to Amphibian King's new shop in Oranmore at lunchtime. For anyone Galway based, well worth the trip.
    Took a heat imprint of my foot to get an initial idea, then a barefoot video, and numerous videos of different shoes, I must have tried 8 different pairs.
    +1 on Amphibian King in Oranmore. Got new Asics there two weeks ago and spent best part of an hour fittig shoes, filming and giving advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Elvery's on Suffolk Street, Dublin, have given me a good analysis on two occasions. It was the same guy both times and he seemed very competent in what he was talking about and did a a run through of the analysis and recommended specific runners. Not sure about the other Elvery's stores, but as far I can tell they've certain staffed trained up and assigned to gait analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I ended up in Elvery's in Dundrum, helped by a very nice chap. I was very wrong about my running style :-) My right leg flails all over the place, which may be the cause of my right calf being sore...
    Anyway, I had a few trots on the machine in different shoes before settling on a pair of asics gel 3020...Will by test diring either this evening or tomorrow

thanks for the help all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Ryath

I ended up in Elvery's in Dundrum, helped by a very nice chap. I was very wrong about my running style :-) My right leg flails all over the place, which may be the cause of my right calf being sore...
    Anyway, I had a few trots on the machine in different shoes before settling on a pair of asics gel 3020...Will by test diring either this evening or tomorrow

thanks for the help all!

Actually got a pair of 3020s myself today from Elverys and had gait analysis. Sales assistant was very helpfull it was free and with no commitment to buy. Have been using a pair of Sauconys that are actully for neutral runners that I picked up last summer not knowing anything about runners only looking for something that looked like it had good arch support. The sales assisant knowing what I know now was next to useless and really should have known better. Had found them fine but as I've started to increase the distance I'm running my knee has stated bothering me a bit. Hopefully the new runners sort this out

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

Just got my first Gait Analysis this morning in Armagh Sports shop, Couldnt recommend this place enough, Really knew their stuff and great service, was recommended the Adidas super nova sequence 2 at £45 which I thought was a bargain,
    Anybody else using these?

Advertisement