Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U Boat in Cork Harbour

• 24-01-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Just heard on the news there that a U-Boat from 1917 has been located in the mouth of cork harbour. Anyone have any further info on this?

AKA when (if ever as I believe it went down with all hands so will it be a grave site) will we be allowed dive on this :D ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

I found this U-boat rediscovery really interesting here's a good article about it, as far as diving on the wreck who know's best to check with the local divers on that one http://www.afloat.ie/watersport/diving/item/14853-german-u-boat-rediscovered-in-cork-harbour/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

found this page that has a couple of photos of UC-42 http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?1688

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Spoke earlier to one of the lads that found it. Only 4 or 5 of them have dived it yet. Even their own Club hasn't dived it yet.
    He's going to take me out in the next week or two as he knows that I have a massive interest in it and spent a lot of time both researching it and out looking for it. It's been the subject of many rumours over the years but from what he's told me so far a lot of those stories can be laid to rest.
    Really looking forward to getting out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

I'd love to dive this too. Closer to home than the U260 and the depth allows a longer dive on a single tank!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Great result for those guys, lets hope the treasure hunters don't do much damage now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

27m! Really opens it up to a broader category of divers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Lobster wrote: »
    Great result for those guys, lets hope the treasure hunters don't do much damage now.

It behoves us all to try to educate those with whom we dive. I for one would not be slow about expressing my opinion if a person in my company were to attempt to take a souvenir.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Did I hear it was laying mines when it went down? Treasure hunters beware:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

:D dont go tapping anything with a dive knife !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

Yeah was wondering this myself. Surprised the no-fun police havn't been sh!ting themselves with worry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I would LOVE to dive this. Who is going to volunteer to take me down :p;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

scuby wrote: »
    :D dont go tapping anything with a dive knife !!

Or a Lump Hammer:D

Advertisement