Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiles sound hollow

• 24-01-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

Moved into a new house just over 2 years ago. The floor of the kitchen was tiled by the builder. About a year ago I noticed the tile next to the dishwasher sounded hollow. Now a good few of the tiles around this tile are sounding the same.

The grout seems to be ok, doesnt seem to be cracking or anything, and they dont seem to be moving.

Anyone any ideas what it is or what I can do to fix it?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Hi all,

Moved into a new house just over 2 years ago. The floor of the kitchen was tiled by the builder. About a year ago I noticed the tile next to the dishwasher sounded hollow. Now a good few of the tiles around this tile are sounding the same.

The grout seems to be ok, doesnt seem to be cracking or anything, and they dont seem to be moving.

Thanks

Most likely inconsistent adhesive application under tiles. If grout lines are not cracking, then this would suggest no movement so I wouldn't worry too much. If its really annoying you, rip up affected tiles, and replace with new ones. A lot of unnecessary hassle though if the existing ones are sound. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You can do nothing. Do not drop anything on them if you can help it as they are hollow as mentioned above and will break a lot easier.

I imagine you dont know what they are. So def dont take them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Hi all,

Thanks

Possibly they're being held in place by the grout as the adhesive underneath didn't bond the tile and floor together or has parted with time or due to water getiing underneath.
    You can lift them by scraping out the grout provided that the entire tile is hollow sounding. If it's difficult to remove or appears to be stuck at a corner or whatever then it's probably best to leave it alone unless you have a spare to go in there. If it's hard to get out you'll most likely break it. If there's half a dozen or so in one area take out as many as you can and reseal them.
    Whilst they may not appear to be moving now, the grout will most likely crack over time and you'll end up doing the job in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bluenose1956

I know it's floor tiles you are referring to, but I had a similar situation in the shower cubicle. The tiles sounded hollow but were, it appeared, all in place. However when we came back off our holiday, the tiles had come away from the wall and only the grouting was holding them together. To cut a long story short, we had a leak on the shower mixer valve. Hopefully your situation won't be as extreme. In the end, because we could not source the same tile we had to re-tile the whole cubicle in a contrast to the rest of the room.

I know it's floor tiles you are referring to, but I had a similar situation in the shower cubicle. The tiles sounded hollow but were, it appeared, all in place. However when we came back off our holiday, the tiles had come away from the wall and only the grouting was holding them together. To cut a long story short, we had a leak on the shower mixer valve. Hopefully your situation won't be as extreme. In the end, because we could not source the same tile we had to re-tile the whole cubicle in a contrast to the rest of the room.

Totally different situation. Yours sounded hollow because the plasterboard had lost its rigid ability due to water ingress. In this case the tiles are hollow because not enough adhesive was used or in was spread inconsistently or worse case rapid set was used and the tile has come loose however this would show in the grout lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Clean Sheet

Totally different situation. Yours sounded hollow because the plasterboard had lost its rigid ability due to water ingress. In this case the tiles are hollow because not enough adhesive was used or in was spread inconsistently or worse case rapid set was used and the tile has come loose however this would show in the grout lines.

Thanks for the replys.

I think you could be right, was just checking them again last night and it seems that the tiles that are tight against the wall, kickboard etc are ok but when you go out to the middle of the tile they're sounding hollow.

Do you think they'll be ok or do you think they'll have to be taken up and relayed. Its an expense that I dont really need at the moment you know.

Thanks

Its virtually impossible to take up and relay tiles once set. Leave them alone. If you know what tiles they are buy some spares. It will do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Clean Sheet

Its virtually impossible to take up and relay tiles once set. Leave them alone. If you know what tiles they are buy some spares. It will do no harm.

Cheers

Advertisement