Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion floor joist span

• 24-01-2011 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭

Eventually planing to tackle attic conversion over coming quarter. floor space will be approx 16 x 16 ft once complete. Just wondering will i need a 3rd RSJ in the center aso opposed to just using 2 RSJs - thinking that a 16 ft span potentially excessive with a possibility of flexing under foot traffic ? or would 7x2" at approx 2ft centers be sufficient spanning 16ft approx.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

put in 9x2 and spread them at 400 mm centers
    dont no standard requirements off the top of my head
    you could check them up though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I would put them in at 300 for 16'. 9x2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks guys, I was hoping that 7 x 2 would be sufficient as the plan was to fit each end into the T section of each RSJ. These will be 9" in height - the 7x2s would fit in nicely. Might just go with above reccomendation and use joist hangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭harry21

Go with the 9x2 at 400 centers. then notch them to fit into the RSJ (I beam) at the end. You can afford to lose the height and the ends, its in the middle you need it.

The 7x2 notch will be fine for shear and 9x2 in the middle will provide enough bending strenght.

Happy days:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Yes Definitely use 9 by 2. You can shape the ends to profile the RSJ and any little height above the RSJ can be made up with a slip or used to run cables along the RSJ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

gsxr1 wrote: »

Very handy guide gsxr, ta ;)

Advertisement