Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I feel this guilty?

• 24-01-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Well,

Today my partner found a cat down in the underground car-park of our building. We had noticed the cat around down there before but we could never catch it, or get close enough to see if it had a collar or anything.

When it was found today it had clearly had some form of an altercation with a car. It's two front legs looked broken and it was shaking from shock. It's jaw was also swollen. I'm also unsure whether or not is was having fits as it seemed to go through periods of uncontrolled motion and shaking.

We rang round a load of places to try and find somewhere to take it but the only people that answered their phones were the DSPCA. They came out to collect and when we asked about coming out to see the cat later in the week the woman said (quite insensitively I might add) that the cat would be put down as they can't do anything for 2 broken legs.

I feel so guilty now. I feel like we should have kept the cat, but we could not afford the vet bills and the cat needed urgent medical attention. Is there anything else I could have done?

Sorry about this, I just had to get this off my chest!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mistymaud

Most people would have walked on by, so you must at least take some comfort in knowing you did your best.

Can I just ask, because I'm not in Ireland, do you not have a PDSA or Blue Cross or something similar where you can take animals for free or reduced price treatment?

It just crossed my mind when reading your post as I'm sure if there were something like this available it would have made your choices a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'm the partner. Just called the DSPCA, and asked for an update so we could see if there were any other medical options we could take. The cat was put down, and they said the vet felt there were spinal injuries present.

I won't comment on the speed at which the cat was put down, nor whether there were indeed any options, but I really am quite upset by it. The poor thing had a horrible final few hours and it truly deserved better than it received. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Jimmy and Smoggy-i'm so sorry to hear you're story, it's so sad and all to common in Ireland.
    As far as i can see the common viewpoint about cats is 'they are to be treated as vermon' and this can be the case for some vets too.
    I'm quiet sure if it was a dog you found it would have been given a better chance.
    You did all you could by the sounds of it- i know this doesnt mean anything now when both of you are feeling so raw.

I'm very sorry to hear of your experience.

Can I just add though that in the first post your partner did mention this uncontrolled movement - which could well be indicative of spinal or additional damage. In all probability, although I don't think either the welfare people or the vets have handled the situation with much sensitivity, it is highly likely the poor cat couldn't be helped.

I do hope that you can take a little comfort from that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I'm so sorry for that poor cat, as another poster said, most people would have walked on by and left it to die slowly and painfully, at least you had the heart to do something. There was a post on here a while ago mentioning some of the staff at the DSPCA and how some of them had a very 'brusque' manner about them when dealing with the general public, I think a lot of them are so worn down by what they see that they presume every call about 'I found a cat' or 'I found a dog' is just a person wanting to get rid of their animal and lying about finding it so don't take it personally, ultimately I think (hope) they are a lot more sensitive with the animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I'm so sorry for that poor cat, as another poster said, most people would have walked on by and left it to die slowly and painfully, at least you had the heart to do something. There was a post on here a while ago mentioning some of the staff at the DSPCA and how some of them had a very 'brusque' manner about them when dealing with the general public, I think a lot of them are so worn down by what they see that they presume every call about 'I found a cat' or 'I found a dog' is just a person wanting to get rid of their animal and lying about finding it so don't take it personally, ultimately I think (hope) they are a lot more sensitive with the animals.

My main gripe was that myself and my girlfriend seen how injured the cat was, it couldn't even lie down without severe pain. We cradled it in a blanket, and took it down to where the DSPCA van was parked. After explaining that it had what seems to be two broken legs, the lady just grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and put it into the cage.

Just seems to me that, no matter how worn down you are, if you're fairly certain that cat has an hour or two left alive, you'll take an extra 30 seconds just to be gentle. It really infuriated me to be perfectly honest.

Just seems to me that, no matter how worn down you are, if you're fairly certain that cat has an hour or two left alive, you'll take an extra 30 seconds just to be gentle. It really infuriated me to be perfectly honest.

And you are absolutely right.
    Even if the lady picked the cat up by the scruff for safety's sake, a comforting word to both the cat and yourselves is an absolute necessity. I'd have been mad too. Maybe the lady concerned has been in the job a little too long.
    Always remember a nurse (of people) telling me, "The day I stop caring is the day I stop doing the job. If I don't care, I shouldn't be doing it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Mistymaud wrote: »
    And you are absolutely right.
    Even if the lady picked the cat up by the scruff for safety's sake, a comforting word to both the cat and yourselves is an absolute necessity. I'd have been mad too. Maybe the lady concerned has been in the job a little too long.
    Always remember a nurse (of people) telling me, "The day I stop caring is the day I stop doing the job. If I don't care, I shouldn't be doing it."

Absolutely, it's even sadder to hear how she handled the poor creature and as you say op, just a bit of gentleness, kindness and compassion, I can't imagine why you'd be doing a thankless job like that if not for the love of animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

You poor things, what a horrible thing to experience. The only thing is that you took the time to help the cat, and one way or the other she's not in pain anymore. I know it's not the most ideal outcome and I wouldn't have been impressed myself but you saved her from being in pain for possibly days.

You put yourselves out for animals and that's fantastic, wasn't it yourselves that took in the dog that ended up hurting your kitten? You do your very best for animals and that's nothing to ever feel guilty about.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

First I just wanted to praise the two of you for actually trying to help the cat, as the other posters said lots of people wouldn't bother. I really sorry that you had to see something to upsetting and that they were so insensitive about it, I'd say after seeing years of injured and rescued animals they're desensitised to it but they should know that others aren't. It does sound like there is probably nothing that could have been done to save the poor thing so maybe just try and take solitude in the fact that you helped it and it didn't suffer for so long before passing. Again very sorry that you had to go through such a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭smoggy11

You put yourselves out for animals and that's fantastic, wasn't it yourselves that took in the dog that ended up hurting your kitten? You do your very best for animals and that's nothing to ever feel guilty about.

Yeah that was us. We do seem to attract a lot of strays.

I just wonder if there was more we could have done. We aren't in receipt of welfare, so we can't go to blue cross and we couldn't afford another vets. St. Francis would have probably even worked out too expensive on this one.

The only good thing is that the cat was in a lot of pain. It was visibly in pain, which, for a cat is a big deal. So it's not any more. Still very sad though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 fivefreedoms

That was a very upsetting experience for everyone involved other than the person who took it from you.The poor cat , I would at least have expected the woman to be gentle with it. The RSPCA believe in the five freedoms;
    Freedom from hunger and thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour
    · Freedom from discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area
    · Freedom from pain, injury or disease - by prevention or by rapid diagnosis and treatment
    · Freedom to express normal behaviour - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animals own kind
    · Freedom from fear and distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.

Perhaps you could could go back and just point out where you think she failed, she may not do it again.
    WE have no legislation here to protect animals with an election coming up we could ask the politicians what their views are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 teeky

Although this is a really unfortunate and sad story, it warms me to think that there are people like you and your partner out there. I just wish there were more of us.
    I know exactly how it feels to find strays like that and, like ye, I never just walk on by. Well done to ye both, honestly.
    Someone posted above me that this is all too common in Ireland and I couldn't agree with that person more. It is shameful how poor our animal welfare is in this country and in fairness to the English, they are miles ahead of us on this.
    Its a vicious circle without any government funding or aid towards this problem and god knows that with the state of things here at the moment it means animals are shoved even further down the list. It really upsets me. Thats why I never pass a animal charity out fundraising, I'd feel just as bad about that as I would about passing a stray.
    Don't feel bad about not taking action sooner. How were you to even begin to guess that such an accident lay ahead. Maybe it was just meant to be that you'd seen the cat before and were able to assist him/her when he/she most needed you. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I'm the partner. Just called the DSPCA, and asked for an update so we could see if there were any other medical options we could take. The cat was put down, and they said the vet felt there were spinal injuries present.

I won't comment on the speed at which the cat was put down, nor whether there were indeed any options, but I really am quite upset by it. The poor thing had a horrible final few hours and it truly deserved better than it received. :(

Write them an emotive and upset letter and point out everything you've pointed out here. I don't doubt that the cat was seriously injured and it would have taken a massive leap of faith for the DSPCA to decide to treat two broken legs, spinal injuries and internal injuries with no owner (and no payment of vet bills) in sight, but you're absolutely correct about the other stuff.

Just to add the rapidity of the euthanasia may have been entirely appropriate if the cat was in a lot of shock and pain. It can be painful and unfair to try and stabilise an animal like that to buy some time to find an owner - it's hard to judge how much pain relief, monitor the effects of shock, and make a call on the point at which you're doing something just to quell your own uneasiness about needing to feel useful as opposed to doing something in the best interests of the animal. They can't tell you when they've had enough, or if they're still in pain, or if there's something making them breathless, or dizzy, or confused and you've missed it.

However, every so often people who work with animals a kick in the arse to remind them of the individuality of all of the creatures - and all of the people - they deal with.

Euthanasia - literally from the greek meaning the good death, in practice often falls short. A cuddle, a stroke, some gentleness, wouldn't have gone amiss, and indeed should be part of the end for all of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Although I don't doubt she was brusque, can I just say if I had put a cat with two broken front legs into a carrier, I would scruff the cat and support her weight by cradling her bum in my other hand. I wouldn't want to handle her in the normal way because of the pain to her legs if I was holding her in my arms.

With such massive injuries, even if they were treatable, it was probably the most humane thing to do to put her out of her pain. With the spinal inujuries she might have been at least partially paralysed. If there was internal bleeding she wouldn't have lasted very long before passing away. She may not have even recovered from the shock. If she pulled through the shock, internal bleeding was controlled and she regained some control of her limbs, she would still need painful surgeries to pin her front legs (if indeed they were salvagable) followed by six or more weeks of crate rest where she wouldn't be able to stand and would be soiling herself. And there would be no guarantee after all that pain and distress that she would walk again without pain.

So please comfort yourselves that both yourselves and the DSPCA did the right thing, even if their people skills left a lot to be desired. I have no doubt that if you brought her to the nearest vet rather than the DSPCA, they would have told you that putting her to sleep would be the kindest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Well done to the pair of you. My heart broke reading this story.
    The treatment doesn't sound right, but at least the poor creature isn't suffering anymore, and is at peace now.
    RIP Lil Kitty :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Poor cat... if there is a plus side, it's that you both saved it from a lingering end, and a painful night in the cold.

There are those that walk on by, and there's the minority that actually give a damn. Good on you. I feel ashamed for the heartless DSPCA rep though.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Thank you to both of you for helping this poor little creature, you have nothing to feel guilty about. I can't imagine the horrible end kitty would have faced, alone, in pain and scared if it wasn't for you two.
    Try to put it behind you and remember that you helped to take the pain away.

Advertisement