Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund after '30 days' date on Receipt?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I got a gift for Xmas (clothes that didn't fit my child) but have only gotten the receipt from my brother today for exchange. It says on the receipt that '..can be exchanged 30 days from date of purchase'. Which means it should have been returned on or before last Thursday.

Can I still exchange them, given that the tags are all intact etc or does this wording on the receipt mean I have no hope of an exchange?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Depends on the shop really.

A lot of shops extend their returns period for Christmas. You should ring the shop in question and inquire. I would imagine that you'll be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

It's Next....my title is misleading sorry, I only want to exchange the clothes for the next size up...? Should I be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Fittle wrote: »
    Hi all, I got a gift for Xmas (clothes that didn't fit my child) but have only gotten the receipt from my brother today for exchange. It says on the receipt that '..can be exchanged 30 days from date of purchase'. Which means it should have been returned on or before last Thursday.

Can I still exchange them, given that the tags are all intact etc or does this wording on the receipt mean I have no hope of an exchange?
    Thanks
    The shop will be under no requirement to accept it. They may do it as a way to generate customer good will. The only way you'll find out is to ask the shop

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

It's Next....my title is misleading sorry, I only want to exchange the clothes for the next size up...? Should I be ok?

Oh God, not another thread about returns policies..:(

OP... From what I know, Next are very good when it comes to returns and I would imagine you won't have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be perfectly honest, only Next can answer this. Ask them. I don't think there will be any problem though.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks - I'll ask tomorrow. Sorry, I had just thought that someone might advise before I bring the clothes into work with me tomorrow, and I had read a few previous threads, but couldn't find one about the date on receipt specifically.

Why not phone the shop and ask, before you bring the clothes in with you? Usually works for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Oh God, not another thread about returns policies..:(

OP... From what I know, Next are very good when it comes to returns and I would imagine you won't have a problem.

as long as the poster understands that she has no legal entitlement to a refund then that is the main point.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    as long as the poster understands that she has no legal entitlement to a refund then that is the main point.

If you read the posts above you'll see she isn't looking for a refund, although the title may say otherwise. She'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Clothes shop in particular can be sticklers about their return policies because of changing lines and fashions and stuff. Someone might bring back an item outside of the 30 days which the shop no longer stocks and therefore can't put back on sale.

All you can do is ask. I had a place refuse me a refund after 40 days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

If you read the posts above you'll see she isn't looking for a refund, although the title may say otherwise. She'll be fine.
    thanks. refund, replacement, wrong size, wrong colour, doesnt matter, shop is under no obligation to accomodate the customer. its best to have these things staight in your head before approaching the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's entirely up to the store - However, Next are pretty good with returns, so you might get lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Agreed but she is not even entitled to an exchange or a credit note. If she gets one which she probably will it is down to the good will of the store.

Agreed but she is not even entitled to an exchange or a credit note. If she gets one which she probably will it is down to the good will of the store.
    Correct but let's stop making every interaction with a store or supplier sound like a chore. Most stores will exchange no problem at all, just as most will honour vouchers or replace faulty goods. They are, by and large, decent to deal with and I just can't understand how so many replies here come from the angle that there will be a problem or that the issue is down to goodwill or where the law stands on an issue. I believe if the OP, and others like her, would just talk to stores they would have etheir queries sorted so much faster than going through all the opinions and potential pitfalls here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Correct but let's stop making every interaction with a store or supplier sound like a chore. Most stores will exchange no problem at all, just as most will honour vouchers or replace faulty goods. They are, by and large, decent to deal with and I just can't understand how so many replies here come from the angle that there will be a problem or that the issue is down to goodwill or where the law stands on an issue. I believe if the OP, and others like her, would just talk to stores they would have etheir queries sorted so much faster than going through all the opinions and potential pitfalls here.
    The issue is down to goodwill. The OP probably will be fine for an exchange. But they should be aware that they may be refused, and that if they are refused, they don't have any legal right to an exchange.

Telling them that they will be fine is just as bad as telling them they definitely won't get anything, and it leads to shop assistants posting in "Ranting and Raving" about the customer who came in thinking they were entitled to something they weren't

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    The issue is down to goodwill. The OP probably will be fine for an exchange. But they should be aware that they may be refused, and that if they are refused, they don't have any legal right to an exchange.

Telling them that they will be fine is just as bad as telling them they definitely won't get anything, and it leads to shop assistants posting in "Ranting and Raving" about the customer who came in thinking they were entitled to something they weren't

If you read the earlier posts I suggested simply asking the store by phoning them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'd phone them. I doubt the next size up will still be there? Considering the clothes were bought before christmas. They may give you an exchange, more likely if they have an extended policy for christmas. However, other stores that have generous refund policies will not exchange past the 28/30 days, so your chance is about 50/50 I'd say. If they won't, blame your brother for not giving you the receipt faster:)

EDIT: Got confused with the thread title, most major stores will do exchanges after the time period to the value with a receipt, at current selling price minus a receipt. Hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Next will give you an exchange at the selling price on the receipt no probs as long as tags are attached and you have complete sets.

Just arrive up at the till and ask to do a exchange with out of date receipt. If your really not sure ask the person covering the front of the shop and they will set you right.

Just to say I exchanged the items today. However, even though I had the receipt (52euro) the girl would only give me the sale price on a gift card ( I didn't have time to shop around again). She scanned in the receipt and it gave the sale price of the goods...although they had been bought mid december, and obviously weren't bought at the sale price.

If I had bought them myself, I would probably have argued a bit more with her as the girl on the shop floor ten minutes previous told me once I had the receipt, I'd get the value that was paid for them (on a gift card). Anyway, I've a gift card for 29euro that I'll go back and use tomorrow...better than not exchanging at all I guess:) Thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ahh, sorry, if she scanned the receipt there is no way of over riding it. That system wasn't there when I worked there. We could just change the price if we had any receipt details to enter, with a manager's authorisation.

If you had bought them on the 14th of Dec and returned them by the 4th of Jan (the date on the bottom of the receipt) you would have gotten a refund in the method of payment or a gift card to the pre-sale amount, which you probably know going on your OP.

But I'm glad you got sorted.

There is no shop in Ireland that I know of, that's going to give you pre-sale price on items with an out of date receipt.
    Even Marks gave this up afaik.

Penny's are doing full price exchange till 30th of Jan (I think) but they don't really have a sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just to say I exchanged the items today. However, even though I had the receipt (52euro) the girl would only give me the sale price on a gift card ( I didn't have time to shop around again). She scanned in the receipt and it gave the sale price of the goods...although they had been bought mid december, and obviously weren't bought at the sale price.

If I had bought them myself, I would probably have argued a bit more with her as the girl on the shop floor ten minutes previous told me once I had the receipt, I'd get the value that was paid for them (on a gift card). Anyway, I've a gift card for 29euro that I'll go back and use tomorrow...better than not exchanging at all I guess:) Thanks for advice.

In fairness, it's a decent result. At least you got some money back.

Advertisement