Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spelling the month Feb

Options
  • 24-01-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Well I am in my 30's and for the past 30 odd years i have spelt the month Feb "Febuary" until when i looked onto the next month on my phone and was amazed to find that it is actually spelt "February". to me this even looks wrong but its actually know its correct.
    So I took it upon myself to ask a few friends over the weekend to spell February and every one of them actually spelt it incorrect leaving out the “r” after “b”.
    so go on admit to it in the poll above for curiosity?

How do u spell the month Feb? 2 votes

Febuary
    0% 0 votes
    February
    100% 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm guessing you don't pronounce the first R either?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I spell it February. I can understand people who spell it wrong though, due to it's pronunciation, but it's a pretty basic word that is learned at a young age in primary school.
    (I'm not passing any judgements though, I'm not the greatest speller myself!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'm guessing you don't pronounce the first R either?
    Eh, no? :confused:

The first 'r' is silent, as in library.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Eh, no? :confused:

The first 'r' is silent, as in library.

You're either taking the piss or you're Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Or Ryan Tubridy of RTE.

Jannury... Febbury....listen out for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Afaik, the 1st 'r' in Feb is indeed silent. Damn. Now, I'll have to check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 JaneB

For years I thought that "arctic" (as in the north pole) was spelt "artic",

Afaik, the 1st 'r' in Feb is indeed silent. Damn. Now, I'll have to check

Not as far as i know Missus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Tolling?

(Or could there really be people out there who think these "r"s are meant to be silent?)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I always pronounce it Febuary, while knowing it is spelled February and probably should be pronounced that way. Quick google suggests that either pronunciation is ok, but the spelling does have the first r.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

'February' is the correct spelling and both 'r's are pronounced. OED agrees.

The incorrect dropping of the first 'r' most likely came about because February comes after January which has only one 'r', and it is easier to pronounce 'February' in a similar manner.

The Raven. wrote: »
    'February' is the correct spelling and both 'r's are pronounced. OED agrees.

The incorrect dropping of the first 'r' most likely came about because February comes after January which has only one 'r', and it is easier to pronounce 'February' in a similar manner.

In other words, pure laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

"Feb-yoorie" is the most common pronunciation around here. I've always spelled and pronounced the word correctly (drilled into me by a particular English teacher in school) but more and more I find myself pronouncing the word strangely so as not to seem odd. "Feb-rurrie." It's very blurred, and bugs me, but it's the instincts doing it. If possibly, I avoid saying the word at all.

Ten hours down. Six hundred eighty-six to go.

Or "hunderd" as some of my uncles call it.

Advertisement