Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Just off the plane, missed the game, great result!

Come on Wigan, and Sunderland!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

We seem to have a much more difficult stretch of games than arsenal which I could see helping them leap frog us into fourth.
    That said Chelsea could drop points between now and then as well.

If we can beat Arsenal at home that would be just massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

We seem to have a much more difficult stretch of games than arsenal which I could see helping them leap frog us into fourth.
    That said Chelsea could drop points between now and then as well.

If we can beat Arsenal at home that would be just massive.

Yupp it is imperative that we beat them in 3 weeks time, how did Sunderland not equalise today??? was a big big win for them with 10 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Here Precious

5 pts behind city and they playing chelski next..we away to spammers...all to play for

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have a feeling that City might freefall....... wouldn't that be amazing,

We need to find another gear. Bale can't drag us there himself. The only good thing is we really haven't played to our best in weeks and we are still right up there,

I'd call us the outsiders but if we can come out of the Arsenal game 6 points ahead of them I'd fancy us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah we really need to start performing. For the most part (excluding Utd) we've played teams that we'd maybe be expected to beat. It's great that we have, but we definitely have a tough run-in. I know you can never predict what the scores will be, but I did the BBC Predictor and have Arsenal in 4th, with Liverpool ahead of us in 5th!! Unless our strikers start scoring goals again I think we'll struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Fully agree, taking into account opposition we haven't been playing well at all. Goal getting continues to be a massive problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

THFC wrote: »
    Fully agree, taking into account opposition we haven't been playing well at all. Goal getting continues to be a massive problem.

We have scored 4 less than city. Hardly a problem

mickman wrote: »
    We have scored 4 less than city. Hardly a problem
    But where have these goals come from? 23 of the 44 goals have come from Defoe and Bale, next question we ask is how many times have those players gotten two goals or more in one match? I don't know myself but I'd estimate it's been a few times. What happens when these players are nullified? We struggle. Our next highest goalscorers are Dempsey on 5 and Lennon on 3. If you don't think it's a problem you're deluded, there's a reason why so many Spurs fans, here and elsewhere, were looking for a CF in January.

But where have these goals come from? 23 of the 44 goals have come from Defoe and Bale, next question we ask is how many times have those players gotten two goals or more in one match? I don't know myself but I'd estimate it's been a few times. What happens when these players are nullified? We struggle. Our next highest goalscorers are Dempsey on 5 and Lennon on 3. If you don't think it's a problem you're deluded, there's a reason why so many Spurs fans, here and elsewhere, were looking for a CF in January.

Half our goals from two players is not a problem . 33% of uniteds goals (20 from 60) have come from rvp, is that a problem for them ?

We would all love a striker but it didn't happen and we are doing fine without one

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »

Half our goals from two players is not a problem . 33% of uniteds goals (20 from 60) have come from rvp, is that a problem for them ?

We would all love a striker but it didn't happen and we are doing fine without one
    For now. We were doing perfectly well last season up until this point. I have my worries but I suppose only time will tell.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

For now. We were doing perfectly well last season up until this point. I have my worries but I suppose only time will tell.

Is AVB up for the england job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Holtby was very unlucky not to score on Saturday, I think he'll be contributing soon.

Kold wrote: »
    Holtby was very unlucky not to score on Saturday, I think he'll be contributing soon.

not so sure i agree with this. he played "ok"

he had two half chances and wasnt in the game much

I agree, I thought he was ok. Better at the start of the game and it's good to see him wanting the ball as much as possible. He'll improve as he gets more used to the team but he's done well considering the short amount of time he's had with the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

We are getting a slagging for been a bit of a one man team at the moment but as long as we are top 4 after we play chelsea and arsenal, who cares!

405642_10151354545704681_1194067662_n.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

is the envy i hear? the joys :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You always hear that "one man team" when you have someone special, it was the same for Arsenal last year with RVP. It's just jealousy of the highest order.

Man Utd - RVP, Arsenal - RVP, Liverpool - Suarez (not so much now with Sturridge)

I don't see the issue and if the slagging is coming from fans of any of the above clubs they need to have a serious think about what they're saying. It's definitely jealousy as to be fair I was one of those last season who was incredibly envious of RVP with Arsenal!

I really couldn't give a crap if it makes them feel better let them.

What really annoys me is that we could be so much better off if we didn't have such a slow start(again!) oh and that Everton away game(still fuming)!

Newcastle away we were so far on top but we let it slip away.
    Then two last minute home draws against Norwich and West Brom.

But lets just march on and hopefully we can do the business against Everton, Arsenal and City at Home plus Liverpool away 7-12 points necessary imo.

Liverpool are one loss away from being completely out of it it would take too many teams to go on a bad run of form for them to get into Fourth.

Everton, I just don't think they are consistent enough.

Arsenal definetly have the run in and the ability to go fourth or third depending on Chelsea.

Chelsea are just a mystery real jackel and Hyde stuff.

• Advertisement

Pool result delicious tonight..beat the goons at the lane and its ours I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

lol @ Liverpool

In fairness they try hard and dont get much luck but lol all the same

slegs wrote: »
    lol @ Liverpool

In fairness they try hard and dont get much luck but lol all the same

Pool fans are all deluded..thinking they were still on for 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Pool fans are all deluded..thinking they were still on for 4th.

I really couldn't believe what I was reading today in the paper actually saying a win tonight and they'd be back in it. If they his onto Suarez I reckon they could be trouble next year though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Pool are left in our wake after tonight's result,if only we could shake off the scum now,blessed to win their last two games imo.

The thing is, I believe they would have been back in with a chance had they won last night. I was very surprised to see them lose the game and it must be so bloody frustrating being a Pool fan at the moment because as slegs said, they try hard but don't seem to get much luck. Still, after that result it's one less team to worry about.

I don't agree that if we beat Arsenal at home that 4th is ours though. First we need to beat West Ham away, something we have struggled with lately. If we do that, and beat Arsenal, the gap is 7 points. The problem is that Spurs away is one of their three remaining difficult fixtures - most of their other games are very winnable. 70 points should be our minimum goal, that's 22 points from 12 games, just under 2 points per match, or 7 wins and a draw. If one of those wins is against Arsenal, I reckon we should have 4th.

SuprSi wrote: »
    The thing is, I believe they would have been back in with a chance had they won last night. I was very surprised to see them lose the game and it must be so bloody frustrating being a Pool fan at the moment because as slegs said, they try hard but don't seem to get much luck. Still, after that result it's one less team to worry about.

I don't agree that if we beat Arsenal at home that 4th is ours though. First we need to beat West Ham away, something we have struggled with lately. If we do that, and beat Arsenal, the gap is 7 points. The problem is that Spurs away is one of their three remaining difficult fixtures - most of their other games are very winnable. 70 points should be our minimum goal, that's 22 points from 12 games, just under 2 points per match, or 7 wins and a draw. If one of those wins is against Arsenal, I reckon we should have 4th.
    I'd agree with that I think they are having a bit of a defensive injury crisis at the moment though which hopefully means they might drop points in there next few games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

City have Chelsea next. The most likely outcome of that match is a draw.

If we beat West Ham, tough game away and under the MNF lights, we go third and are three points off second.

City have a very tough April (United, Everton and us).....

Look upwards lads, look upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Don't want to put the mockers on it but I think 7 of the final 12 games are very winnable... The problem will be beating the the bigger teams when we slip up against the clubs further down the table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

SuprSi wrote: »
    I was very surprised to see them lose the game and it must be so bloody frustrating being a Pool fan at the moment because as slegs said, they try hard but don't seem to get much luck.

To me luck has feck all to do with it.

Just from last nights games they had a peno just before west brom scored. That was their chance and they mucked it up and proceeded to defend horribly to concede those 2 goals

Advertisement