Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

according to BBC bale back for city game, not confirmed by club, but a ray of light

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

just had this pop up on my fb feed..great news!

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM SPURS

The Club can confirm that Gareth Bale (sprained ankle ligaments), William Gallas (calf strain) and Aaron Lennon (soft tissue contusion below the knee) all underwent scans today (Friday) after being forced off with injuries during our Europa League Quarter Final First Leg draw with Basel last night.

The results of these scans have indicated that all three players are expected to return to training within two weeks.

Bale, Gallas and Lennon have all commenced their treatment today and are responding positively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Great except that it confirms Lennon is out for Sunday :mad:

I know but Im sure AVB will find a short term solution... really missing Azza as an outlet..
    As bad as his passing crossing & shooting is he is all we have to balance the teams speed merchants needs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Lennon has been so important for us this season, tracking back like never before. I don't know how many times he's made great saving tackles. Never saw that in his game before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Things could be better, no doubt. Having now gotten over the shock of seeing Bale injured, things are not as bleak as they seemed. We are playing at home tomorrow and with Bale, Lennon and Defoe out it will give a chance for other players to shine. Maybe Siggy, Dempsey or Holtby will bang in a few for us. Maybe even Ade, who has improved somewhat lately(couldnt get any worse) could do the job. We are not a one man team. Our best player is injured. I know we are still good enough to beat Everton. With our best defenders back(no Gallas) we can get back to more stable defending than Euro stuff. Spurs to win 3-1.

I hope Gallas stays injured for the rest of the season.

He should have retired 6yrs ago & is well past prem lge standards.

Makes so many bad mistakes & this effects the whole back 4 keeper & the whole team...

What happened to Caulker?why aint he playing more?

Its a squad game over a long stamina sapping season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

arsenal look like they will win again today

same as every season folks - the business end of the season and arsenal go on a great run

I think arsenal could get 3rd and ourselves or chelsea to get 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Goons poxy bastards

flukey bastards more like.

Wba shocking finishing cost them a point at least even though ramsey had a miss of the season contender lol..

down to 10 men through per metzackers "skills" giving away a peno afik at same time..2-1 FT

Its still in own own hands long way to go
    Arsenal won there must win game & now we must beat the toffes tomorrow..

Holtbys time to shine :-) it will be grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

davycc wrote: »
    flukey bastards more like.

Wba shocking finishing cost them a point at least even though ramsey had a miss of the season contender lol..

down to 10 men through per metzackers "skills" giving away a peno afik at same time..2-1 FT

Its still in own own hands long way to go
    Arsenal won there must win game & now we must beat the toffes tomorrow..

Holtbys time to shine :-) it will be grand

Holtby?? I doubt it very much man. More likely to put in a bad shift and get replaced by super clint

Well personally Im tired of being a pessamist so just have to trust in AVB to get the best out of our average squad even with injuries to our stars & out of form strikers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Pessimist?
    I prefer to think of myself as a realist tbh
    AVB I do trust but we need a bit of a miracle.
    I think we will hang in there for a few weeks yet but in typical spurs form they will frustrate and torture us to a slowly and we'll lose out in the final game or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Pessimist?
    I prefer to think of myself as a realist tbh
    AVB I do trust but we need a bit of a miracle.
    I think we will hang in there for a few weeks yet but in typical spurs form they will frustrate and torture us to a slowly and we'll lose out in the final game or two.

That's pessimism not realism...it hasn't happened so lets see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Spurs get first penalty in prem league this season and win 3-1.

chalsea 1 down at HT come on sunderland hope we can salvage something today

Today's result against Everton ensures that a top 4 finish is no longer in our hands. Chelsea win today and Arsenal win their game in hand and we're out. Hard to take but as Saab Ed said in the match thread, we don't have the squad to compete for both the Europa League and the top 4.

Of course there's no guarantee that things will pan out like this but we are no longer in control of our own destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

SuprSi wrote: »
    Today's result against Everton ensures that a top 4 finish is no longer in our hands. Chelsea win today and Arsenal win their game in hand and we're out. Hard to take but as Saab Ed said in the match thread, we don't have the squad to compete for both the Europa League and the top 4.

Of course there's no guarantee that things will pan out like this but we are no longer in control of our own destiny.

We still have to play Chelsea. Therefore if the score remains 1-0 to Sunderland today we're back in control of our own destiny!

Edit: nevermind. 1-1.

Edit edit: still remains within our control if Chelsea draw!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

irishmover wrote: »
    We still have to play Chelsea. Therefore if the score remains 1-0 to Sunderland today we're back in control of our own destiny!

It's 1-1 now

you hit the nail on the head there the only thing we can do is hope arse & chelski fcuk it up worse than us

at the min chelsea 1-1 so lets hope the de canio affect kicks in & they mug chelsea

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

you hit the nail on the head there the only thing we can do is hope arse & chelski fcuk it up worse than us

at the min chelsea 1-1 so lets hope the de canio affect kicks in & they mug chelsea

2-1 now to Chelsea

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    It's 1-1 now

Chelsea are three points behind spurs at the moment. With a game in hand plus the 1-1 with Sunderland still playing. As long as they don't win it's back in our control again!

2-1 now :-(

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    2-1 now to Chelsea

:(

I'm going asleep....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

4th is gone. I said at the start of the season if we finish top 6 I would be happy considering the players we lost and the fact that AVB is implementing a totally new system. It's just an absolute shame that we're losing CL is such painful circumstances.... It's never easy following Spurs..

THFC wrote: »
    4th is gone. I said at the start of the season if we finish top 6 I would be happy considering the players we lost and the fact that AVB is implementing a totally new system. It's just an absolute shame that we're losing CL is such painful circumstances.... It's never easy following Spurs..

So true. While I expect Arsenal to have one or two bad or unexpected results, I expect us to have more. AVB is doing his best and although it seems Ade is coming back into some sort of goal-scoring form, it's too late. Bale and Lennon out, no clincial striker and Clint 'I must shoot at all costs with both feet from all ranges regardless of the chances of scoring' Dempsey being useless as always means our chances are very slim.

It's weird. When Bale started for Spurs, the team went ages withou winning any time he played, it was like the club was jinxed. Now, the team can't win a game without him scoring!! Oh cruel irony :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

THFC wrote: »

Never easy man, always painful. The killer is they give us hope in the first half of the season and then we fall at end :(. I have the familiar feeling of disappointment after that result.

well im sure everton will fight just as much next week & id fancy them to get a point if not 3 at arse..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

well im sure everton will fight just as much next week & id fancy them to get a point if not 3 at arse..

They might but I would not go as far as fancy them to. That last minute Wigan goal does not help us either, I was hoping QPR would be still alive when they played the gooners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

We are now easily outsiders of the 3 to finish top 4, but we have to keep the faith. There will be plenty of ups and downs in the next few weeks, but we need to put in some serious performances if we want Tuesday or Wednesday night football next season.

Advertisement