Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Hatch99 wrote: »
    We are now easily outsiders of the 3 to finish top 4, but we have to keep the faith. There will be plenty of ups and downs in the next few weeks, but we need to put in some serious performances if we want Tuesday or Wednesday night football next season.
    Can I ask why, arsenal game in hand is Everton who will have fellani and piennar back, Chelsea have to go to Fulham and Liverpool arsenal have to play utd and Chelsea have to go to utd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

We really need to cop on to ourselves here. It was never guaranteed that we would get 4th. There is a lot of game time left yet and we still have a great chance. Chelsea and Arsenal will both drop points yet. Take each game as it comes. It's the defeatist attitude that annoys me.

Today wasn't the worst result considering the injuries we have. That's 3 games in a row that we have scored 2 goals from play. We have defensive problems but at least the goals are flowing again. Ade looks like he is coming into form. Siggy was good today I thought. The break next weekend should do us the world of good before the City game.

We can also give the Basel game a good lash with no game on the weekend. I don't buy into this "Europa League is rubbish" and you cant do both. Sure if we get into CL we don't have a chance of winning that so maybe we shouldn't try in that either. And if we don't try in that why are bothering to try and be in it - for the money? I didn't start following Spurs to see them make money. I want to see Spurs win games and competitions and I would be over the moon to see us win the Europa League even if we miss 4th.

There is many a twist to come yet for all 4 of the teams going for the 2 places. Everton will fancy beating Arsenal. I fully believe we will finish 4th. I think Arsenal will finish 3rd and I think Chelsea will implode under the weight of games they have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

hugo29 wrote: »
    Can I ask why

Form ?
    Chelsea last 3 games, 3 wins v United, Rubin and Sunderland.
    Arsenal last 3 games , 3 wins v Swansea, Reading and West Brom
    Our last 3 games, win v Swansea, draw v Basle, draw v Everton

Momentum and confidence is massive at this stage of the season, and form along with our injuries makes us obvious outsiders in my opinion.Unless we get bale and lennon back fit for city game, we will struggle. Hope to god I'm wrong and we get it together to finish in the top 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

we had more possession today, created more chances and had more shots on target. Another day, or if we actually had a striker, we would have won... Everton didnt deserve the draw at all looking at the stats. We where also without bale, lennon, sandro, defoe to name but a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

well we will have a better idea of whats needed by the time we play our next PL game. By that time the gooners will have played 3 games( at home to Norwich and Everton and away to Fulham) and Chelsea wil have played away to Fulham. Its down to hoping for slip ups from others. But I suppose this is not suprising since Chelsea have a bottomless money pitt and arsenal with their capacity can afford to pay more for players and pay bigger wage. Its hard to knock our limited squad or manager although I think everybody agrees that Levy, or whoever controls the purse strings, let us down by not investing in a striker in January. Today was dissapointing but its too early to give up. I think (and hope) that Chelsea's fixture pile up can help us get what we all want. Benitez showed recently against Southampton that he wants too win trophy's. Come on Spurs, give us our dream of Playing the big boys of Europe again.

• Advertisement

just had a look at Chelsea's fixture list, with a probable 2 semi final games in the europa league(25th April and 2nd May). Gives us a chance.

Europa League - Quarter-Final Rubin Kazan V Chelsea
    (agg 1-3)
    Thu 11 Apr 17:00

Premier League Chelsea P-P Tottenham
    Postponed - due to FA Cup
    Sun 14 Apr

FA Cup - Semi-Final Chelsea V Man City
    Sun 14 Apr 16:00

Premier League Fulham V Chelsea
    Wed 17 Apr 20:00

Premier League Liverpool V Chelsea
    Sun 21 Apr 16:00

Premier League Chelsea V Swansea
    Sat 27 Apr 15:00

May 2013

Premier League Man Utd V Chelsea
    Sat 4 May 15:00

Premier League Aston Villa V Chelsea
    Sun 12 May 15:00

Premier League Chelsea V Everton
    Sun 19 May 16:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

All still to play for, bad result yesterday but at least we came back and snatched a point, which might be crucial come the end of season. This forum varies from wild hysteria of optimism to clinical depression of negativity! Roll on Basle and City, and pray the physio team work some magic on Bale and Lennon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Still all to play for...

By the time the City game (which was always gonna be massive) comes around Arsenal will have played three tough games in a week - Norwich, Everton and Fulham. Chelsea also have two tough away games at Fulham & Liverpool.

After that Arsenal face United and an away trip to a wounded QPR. Chelsea are then home to Swansea and away to United. We have Wigan away and Southampton at home...

It's gonna be a nail-biter but if Lennon & Bale are back for the City game we might have the last laugh.. COYS!

PS. Imagine Chelsea v Spurs is winner takes all 2nd last game of the season:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

By the time the City game (which was always gonna be massive) comes around Arsenal will have played three tough games in a week - Norwich, Everton and Fulham.

Hopefully Chrissy Hughton and BMJ will help us out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Still all to play for...

By the time the City game (which was always gonna be massive) comes around Arsenal will have played three tough games in a week - Norwich, Everton and Fulham. Chelsea also have two tough away games at Fulham & Liverpool.

After that Arsenal face United and an away trip to a wounded QPR. Chelsea are then home to Swansea and away to United. We have Wigan away and Southampton at home...

It's gonna be a nail-biter but if Lennon & Bale are back for the City game we might have the last laugh.. COYS!

PS. Imagine Chelsea v Spurs is winner takes all 2nd last game of the season:eek:

Unfortunetly for us United will have the title wrapped up if they beat City tonight and may we drop points against both Chelsea and Arsenal in those games.

United are not the type of team to roll over just cos the trophy is in the cabinet but I cant see them going hell for leather for the sake of a few more points you know what I mean. I'd bite you hands off for a draw in either of those games.

Also chelsea's game at Swansea is a gimme if ever there was one, no chance of points dropped there.

Similarily, QPR could be dead and buried by the time they play arsenal - (they practically are at this point) so I wouldnt be confident there. However, sometimes these teams who are confirmed as relegated end up playing better once their relegation is a certainty and suddenly they play like gods 'cos the pressure is off. Stranger things have happened i suppose.

• Advertisement

Still all to play for...

Yes, while I still stand by my opinion that the Fulham result was the beginning of the end, if by some miracle we get 6 points vs City and chelsea, then and only then have we got a fighting chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I did my own little run-in and, considering Chelsea are looking good to qualify to the next round of the Europa, they have have (potentially) 13 games to play between now and the end of May. That includes an FA Cup final and Semi-final. Considering a trophy looks better on Rafa's CV, it's likely they will go all out for the two cups. That's 13 games in two months, with a trip to Russia on Thursday, following an already fixture congested March. I think Chelsea are the ones to be missing out on fourth.

Unfortunately, due to Arsenal's fixture list and recent good form, I see them picking up at least 15 points from their remaining 7 games.

Finally, I have us gaining 12 points from our remaining six fixtures - leaving us in 4th, one point behind the Gooners.

Let's hope United beat City tonight. Also, let's hope City and Chelsea draw in the Cup on Sunday. An extra fixture for Chelsea and City having nothing else to play for, might result in both of them taking their eyes of the ball against us.

I have us getting two draws in our matches against City and Chelsea. So if we can pick up more than two points there, I can see us finishing ahead of Arsenal.

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I did my own little run-in and, considering Chelsea are looking good to qualify to the next round of the Europa, they have have (potentially) 13 games to play between now and the end of May. That includes and FA Cup final and Semi-final. Considering a trophy looks better on Rafa's CV, it's likely they will go all out for the two cups. That's 13 games in two weeks, with a trip to Russia on Thursday, following an already fixture congested March. I think Chelsea are the ones to be missing out on fourth.

Unfortunately, due to Arsenal's fixture list and recent good form, I see them picking up at least 15 points from their remaining 7 games.

Finally, I have us gaining 12 points from our remaining six fixtures - leaving us in 4th, one point behind the Gooners.

Let's hope United beat City tonight. Also, let's hope City and Chelsea draw in the Cup on Sunday. An extra fixture for Chelsea and City having nothing else to play for, might result in both of them taking their eyes of the ball against us.

I have us getting two draws in our matches against City and Chelsea. So if we can pick up more than two points there, I can see us finishing ahead of Arsenal.

COYS!

Unfortunately a draw in the cup will only mean extra time as Semi final replays were scrapped years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Unfortunately a draw in the cup will only mean extra time as Semi final replays were scrapped years ago.

B*LLOX!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Form ?
    Chelsea last 3 games, 3 wins v United, Rubin and Sunderland.
    Arsenal last 3 games , 3 wins v Swansea, Reading and West Brom
    Our last 3 games, win v Swansea, draw v Basle, draw v Everton

Momentum and confidence is massive at this stage of the season, and form along with our injuries makes us obvious outsiders in my opinion.Unless we get bale and lennon back fit for city game, we will struggle. Hope to god I'm wrong and we get it together to finish in the top 4.

As is heart and fighting spirit which we've shown in the last 2 games. As you say we are outsiders of the 3 but only very marginally. There's really very little to choose from between the 3.
    This will go down to the wire and I think we'll make top 4 along with the goons.

PS Isn't it great to be involved at the business end of the season? For years our season was over in January/February. In 99/00 it was over in December when Newcastle hammered us in the FA Cup.
    Enjoy the rollercoaster.
    COYS

United are not the type of team to roll over just cos the trophy is in the cabinet but I cant see them going hell for leather for the sake of a few more points you know what I mean.

A United team not hungry for a win is a rare sight regardless of trophies won or lost. SAF will relish beating Arsenal at Emirates and Benitez at OT. Pretty sure he'll want to finish as high above City as he can.
    Also chelsea's game at Swansea is a gimme if ever there was one, no chance of points dropped there.

Where's your logic there? Fair enough Swansea are safe but they drew twice and beat (at SB) Chelsea once already this season..
    Similarily, QPR could be dead and buried by the time they play arsenal - (they practically are at this point) so I wouldnt be confident there. However, sometimes these teams who are confirmed as relegated end up playing better once their relegation is a certainty and suddenly they play like gods 'cos the pressure is off. Stranger things have happened i suppose.

That's what I said, they'll be a wounded animal having been relegated, they'll be playing for pride, especially with Andros and JJ in their ranks!

Well, like a lot of others have said on here- there is still alot to play for, the teams around us will most likely drop points at some stage, therefore we will still be in the chasing pack until (near)the end.

Personally I think we will lose out by about 4 points, and when we look back at it, it will be those points dropped vs fulham/liverpool/everton that will be the ones that got away.

Ive revisted the earlier threads of this season and have decided to accept that top 4 was always a pipe dream and I too am delighted that we are even talking about CL footbal with 6 weeks to go. By accepted top 4 isnt realistic any more i will wont be as devestated as I was last year when be bottled it and sank without a trace for 3 months (yes we finished 4th but that was anti-climatic considering where we where in mid Jan)

This season is full of positives - AVB has turned out to be an inspired signing from Levy, Vertonghen is a beast. Dembele is going to be top-top class and even the ridiculous form of Bale has surpassed everyones expectations.

Even the pathetic return from Defoe and Ade can be a positive thing as surely Levy cannot argue that we need to get rid of both and if we can get 3 quality replacements we can be genuine title contenders next season. had either or both scored in the low teens then we would probably have held on to them but now they 100% have to go. as long as Levy doesnt get silly and expect anyting more than £5-6m each

yiddo59 wrote: »
    As is heart and fighting spirit which we've shown in the last 2 games. As you say we are outsiders of the 3 but only very marginally. There's really very little to choose from between the 3.
    This will go down to the wire and I think we'll make top 4 along with the goons.

PS Isn't it great to be involved at the business end of the season? For years our season was over in January/February. In 99/00 it was over in December when Newcastle hammered us in the FA Cup.
    Enjoy the rollercoaster.
    COYS

Couldn't agree more, great to have something to play for rather than playing for nothing. Thursday night too, great to be involved in Europe this late in the season even if it isn't the CL. Really really hope we get through on Thursday and have a 2 legged semi final to look forward too.

CLINT DEMPSEY admits Tottenham are starting to crumble under the pressure as they bid for a Champions League spot.

Spurs have won just one of their last four league games and scraped a 2-2 draw at home to Everton on Sunday thanks to an 87th-minute equaliser from Gylfi Sigurdsson.

That result saw them slip to fourth place, just two points ahead of Arsenal who have a game in hand.

Tottenham blew a 10-point lead over the Gunners last season and Dempsey, 30, concedes the players are feeling the heat.
    He said: “That’s the way it’s kind of been the last few games at home. It’s been tense. I’ve felt like that’s how the atmosphere has been.
    “Is it affecting performances? I don’t know. It’s been noticeable, in the last three home games.
    “There are a few teams right there in the fight for the Champions League and it makes it more interesting for people to watch.
    “It’s a little bit more stressful but it’s a good stress. At least we’re pushing to try to get that spot.
    “It’s going to come to the end and, hopefully, we have enough character to get the job done.
    “You’ve got to play. You’ve got to keep going and do everything you can to help the team.
    “The race for a top-four finish will be a fight all the way until the end. We would have liked all three points against Everton but it was an important point.”

CLINT DEMPSEY admits Tottenham are starting to crumble under the pressure as they bid for a Champions League spot.

Can you point out the part where he said "Tottenham are starting to crumble under the pressure"?? I'd be surprised if The Sun newspaper are making up news stories;)

• Advertisement

Christ the way City playing tonight I'm not looking forward to us playing them sunday week.

City have very good players but you have to remember this is their most important league game of the season. Just "the noisy neighbours" as Fergie said. they have Chelsea in FA cup semi final next week end and they play Wigan 3 days later and ourselves 4 days after. We will be well rested by then and hopefully have a few injured players back, could be a good time to meet them. Look on the bright side, no point expecting the worst.

Talking of injuries, just read the following from the Mail online;

Manager Andre Villas-Boas is understandably keen to have Bale fit again as quickly as possible and club doctors will use the blood-spinning method to aid his recovery from injury as Tottenham look to get their star man back on the field for the visit of Manchester City on April 21.
    The technique, which was also used on Jermain Defoe earlier in the season as he struggled to overcome a pelvic injury, involves a small sample of a person's blood being injected out of the body before it is spun to increase the concentration of the growth hormone.
    The blood sample is then injected into the athlete's problem area which can help an injury heal five times faster.
    Blood-spinning first came under the spotlight in 2005 when Chelsea, then managed by Jose Mourinho, were warned by the World Anti-Doping Agency that their use of the method to speed up Arjen Robben's recovery from injury may be illegal - but it is now more commonly used in sport.

I hope it works, the sooner he is back the better. When the injury happened I thought he was definitely out for the season,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I said at the start of the season that i'd be happy with a top 6 finish this season. Given the loss of Modric and VDV, the missing out on Moutinho, lack of (refusal?) to sign a striker, and a new manager bringing a very different style of play to the club, i didn't think we were strong enough to get into the top 4. But given where we've been, and given our form, for most of the season, it'll be horrible if we don't get into the top 4 now. Missing out on a CL spot again will kill me.

Hopefully, we can pull it together a bit, and really step it up for the next few games. Neither City nor Chelsea should be feared, and i'd definitely give us a fair chance against them (assuming Bale and Lennon are fit). I'd almost be more worried about the other games. The Wigan, Southhampton, Stoke (ugh!) and Sunderland games. The kind of games we should win, end up with around 75% possession, but fail to convert that to goals, only to go 1 down from a long ball or mistake. If we don't get 4 wins from those 4 games, we can definitely kill the top 4 goodbye anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Reading reports that reportedly report that their sources are within Spurs who report that Kaboul, Defoe, Lennon and Bale are all expected to be fit in good time for the Man City game. Seeing as its on my birthday I'm certain they'll all be available and we'll win 3-1 two assists from Bale one from Lennon with Kaboul scoring all three. No doubt about that. Shame I'll be working the next morning so won't be able to stay awake the middle of the night to see it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

irishmover wrote: »
    Reading reports that reportedly report that their sources are within Spurs who report ..

I don't think I've ever seen the word report used in one sentence so often ;)

That would be good news all the same, even if I can't see Kaboul starting before the end of the season. At least he could fill the gap left by Gallas. Hopefully Bale & Lennon will be properly fit for the City game which is going to be tough as they'll still possibly be in the hunt for the title.

Shame I'll be working the next morning so won't be able to stay awake the middle of the night to see it..

If you were a real supporter like me you'd stay awake;)

Remember last summer the ol doll thought I was nuts getting up on a wednesday morning at 3am to watch us playing in the US in a friendly.

I said to her I have been with my first love Tottenham Hotspur a lot longer than I have been with you my dear. That went down well !!!...ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

If you were a real supporter like me you'd stay awake;)

Remember last summer the ol doll thought I was nuts getting up on a wednesday morning at 3am to watch us playing in the US in a friendly.

I said to her I have been with my first love Tottenham Hotspur a lot longer than I have been with you my dear. That went down well !!!...ha ha

brave man, ya should have brought the TV up to the room, you could have had ur two great loves in the one bed then:D

Reading reports that reportedly report that their sources are within Spurs who report

Still suffering from that bang on the head?:D

• Advertisement

Still suffering from that bang on the head?:D

Sounds like an interesting report

Advertisement