Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Reckon we should start booking our Thursday nights off work for next season tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Reckon we should start booking our Thursday nights off work for next season tbh.

ITV4 & FIVE :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

yiddo59 wrote: »
    ITV4 & FIVE :o

Course you'd have to allow for 'Arry fúcking off the games because it's Mickey Mouse and we should concentrate on challenging for 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

yiddo59 wrote: »
    As much to do with strikers (or lack of) as with balls I think!

I agree. Both quality in the final third, and the mental strength to go to the likes of Blackburn,Sunderland and Blackpool and win.

It looks that way. Very dissapointing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

dont lose faith people. i admit it is a bit disillusioning that we didnt get in a striker as our front men are woeful this season. if pav got a few games i think he is our best bet but vdv came out and said he thinks defoe is the best striker around so harry will want to accommodate vdv and what he thinks

personally i think vdv is a top player but he is unbalancing the team. its a tough one to fix really

mickman wrote: »
    dont lose faith people. i admit it is a bit disillusioning that we didnt get in a striker as our front men are woeful this season. if pav got a few games i think he is our best bet but vdv came out and said he thinks defoe is the best striker around so harry will want to accommodate vdv and what he thinks

personally i think vdv is a top player but he is unbalancing the team. its a tough one to fix really

We all know that of the 3 Pav is the best finisher but his overll game and attitude is poor. If he improves on that aspect he could do a great job for us but based on what I've seen in over 3 seasons at WHL I not holding my breath.
    As for VDV I think he should be up front with defoe in a 442. We don't have the player strong enough to play up top in a 451 or 4411 at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

well we are in big trouble tomorrow night anyway lads

bassong is our only fit CB. woodgate may be thrown in

Chelsea looking strong again, and the 2 new lads yet to get involved..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

realistically city were the team we were always gonna be in a fight for 4th with and not chelsea , 7 back with a game in hand , need brum to do us a favour tomorrow night and we take 3 pts at blackburn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Results tonight weren't the best for us. Sh1t if I'm honest. Unless the teams above us start slipping up or if we win all our remaining key fixtures (i.e. Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City, even Liverpool etc.) then we've got no chance

Looking at our next 8 PL fixtures (Blackburn, Bolton, Sunderland, Blackpool, Wolves, West Ham, Wigan and Stoke) you'd have to say that on paper, we should win every one of them......but we know that's not going to happen....especially the away fixtures.

As it stands I'd put our chances of top four as very slim and chances of winning the CL...anorexic !

RichMc70 wrote: »
    As it stands I'd put our chances of top four as very slim and chances of winning the CL...anorexic !

better chance of the CL, Remember it's lucky for Spurs when the year ends in 1 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

RichMc70 wrote: »

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

I think we may find even that difficult, what with others adding to their squads and us losing out by not signing a striker.

(and news today that Modric is now out for a few weeks):(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

... Chelsea and Man U will kick ass for the rest of the season.

We're in the middle of our slump right now. Hopefully city or Arsenal will have theirs soon and then we can take advantage.

The good thing about this season is that each team in the top 5 is more then capable of taking points of eachother.

We all said the same thing last september - Harry needs to have a regular, steady CB pairing. Yet here we are in Feb and nothing has changed. I know- lets buy another attacking midfielder - that'll do the trick :rolleyes:

The only midfielder we should have bought was parker!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

... Chelsea and Man U will kick ass for the rest of the season.

We're in the middle of our slump right now. Hopefully city or Arsenal will have theirs soon and then we can take advantage.

The good thing about this season is that each team in the top 5 is more then capable of taking points of eachother.

We all said the same thing last september - Harry needs to have a regular, steady CB pairing. Yet here we are in Feb and nothing has changed. I know- lets buy another attacking midfielder - that'll do the trick :rolleyes:

The only midfielder we should have bought was parker!

Not really helped when we buy the most injury prone CBs in the league 2 going under the knife one just in from SA one suspended after a long injury lay off one back after 14 months injured one with a hip/groin injury that started today and one that hasn't been injured yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think it's going to be a very hard slog to make 4th this time around. Big big three points tonight, our game in hand is massive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 davemac24

horefully tevezs ex missus starts to give him more greif and city self distruct:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 davemac24

and i cant spell:confused:

davemac24 wrote: »
    and i cant spell:confused:

Ye never could Dave ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

His name's Rodders Triggs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

After last nights great win V Blackburn and Citys draw, the race for 4th is back on. If we can beat Bolton at the weekend with all our injuries and suspensions it would leave us in a great position.

Our next few games are all very winnable

Feb 5 Bolton (h)
    Feb 12 Sunderland (a) - difficult game, draw would do.
    Feb 22 Blackpool (a)
    Mar 6 Wolves (a)
    Mar 19 West Ham (h)
    Aprl 2 Wigan (a)
    Aprl 9 Stoke (h)

In that time Chelsea, City, Man u all have to play each other.
    I am not saying we will win the league but we have a great chance to get back into the top four.

COYS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Just saw an interesting piece over on Martin Tylers bit on the sky sports website.. If games finished the same as when the first goal was scored we'd be sitting pretty in 14th! The comeback kings!:pac:

We done our piece, draw tomorrow be best Id say...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

They say a week is a long time in football - ain't that the truth!
    Only 10 points off the top after United lost to wolves.

A draw or pool win tomorrow would complete a great week for us.

Arsenals result @ Newcastle today could be the start of a Arsenal slump *fingers crossed*

COYS

Was listening to today fm and they were saying diaby grabbed Barton by the neck they are getting tonnes of reds this year.

Also walker scored again today hopefully he comes back even better to us.

Walker made the England squad chuffed for the lad.

Liverpools improvement under Dalglish worries me even if they don't get champions league football this year they look like they will be excellent next season disappointing I prefered when Hodgson was in charge :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Don't worry about Liverpool I think when it goes against them in the next 12 weeks they will fall apart like a house of cards.

It's nice to be back in the pack today. Big big next couple of weeks I feel.

• Advertisement

Ok so this is just a quick run down of the top 6 and a few bits and bobs thrown in so.
    United
    Points Per Game 2.16 estimated Points total 83 points.

Star man this term Luis Nani has been the star man popping up with important goals on a regular basis.

Yet to play Chelsea home and away, Arsenal away, City Home, Liverpool away.

Current form : won 4 Drawn 1 lost 1 : 13 points

Arsenal
    PPG 2.0 estimated points total 76 points

Star Man Nasri has been head and shoulders above the rest this season although currently injured.

Yet to play us at the Lane United at Home and Liverpool at Home.

Current form : won 4 Drawn 2 lost 0 : 14 points

Man City
    PPG 1.88 estimated points total 71 points

Star Man Tevez so huge has he been this season it has been claimed by the media they can't win without him.

Yet to play Us at Home United, Liverpool and chelsea away.

Current form : won 3 Drawn 2 lost 1 : 11 points

Chelsea
    PPG 1.76 estimated points total 67 points.

Star Man Well Drogba,Terry and Lampard take your pick an aging squad but they still have it in them to beat any team on there day.

Still to play United twice,City and us at home.

Current form : won 3 Drawn 1 lost 2 : 10 points

Spurs
    PPG 1.76 estimated points total 67 points.

Star Man Modric/Bale/VDV all very big players very hard topick one but I think in the league it has to be Modric he has really grown into the midfield role after Huddlestones injury woes.

Still to play Liverpool,Chelsea and City away from home and Arsenal at Home.

Current form : won 3 Drawn 2 lost 1 : 11 points

Liverpool
    PPG 1.46 estimated points total 55 points

Star Man Raul Merreillis he has taken over the Liverpool midfield and has really hit form now scoring in 4 of his last 5 games.

Still to play us, City and United at Home and Arsenal away.

Current form : won 4 Drawn 1 lost 1 : 13 points

Advertisement