Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

We can beat them at the bridge

Fatigue has to be setting in with them at this stage . Hopefully Lennon is fit and we can have a go at them down the wings

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Not sure about the fatigue tbh. Spurs and Arsenal are limping over the line for the last few weeks while chelsea are looking okay, better than ok. Benitez's rotation earlier in the season is playing off so far.

If chelsea win on Wed then 3rd is no longer possible for Spurs (or Arsenal).

And then Arsenal only need a win and a draw to pip us into 4th on goal difference.

Wouldnt it be bloodly typical if we lost out on goal difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

I think that even if we draw against Chelsea and win our last 2 games, which is prob the best we could really expect,it still might not be enough. I cant see the gooners dropping any more points, they are on a great run at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just imagine if it goes down to final day. For everyone. . Spurs play Sunderland at home and they're fighting to stay up. Sunderlands local rivals Newcastle play our local rivals Arsenal. One team could get relegated and one team could miss out CL football. What a final day that could be.

Can't believe Chelsea beat united. That just sums up our season really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

United were sh1t, not surprising as they've already done the business but expected a few of this seasons outcasts to step up. Valencia fell over more times than me on a Saturday night! Expect him and Anderson to be shipped out in the summer.

Still all to play for, beat Chelsea on Wednesday and everyone's in the mix with two to play. COYS!

United were sh1t, not surprising as they've already done the business but expected a few of this seasons outcasts to step up. Valencia fell over more times than me on a Saturday night! Expect him and Anderson to be shipped out in the summer.

Still all to play for, beat Chelsea on Wednesday and everyone's in the mix with two to play. COYS!

I said a few pages back, before united played arsenal that I was worried they'd drop points against both Arsenal and Chelsea and people were saying they're professionals and want to win every game!... Well I guess that's a lesson to never rely on Man United to perform when we need them to.

Would almost think Fergie's done it on purpose so Spurs don't get CL football and could force Spurs' hand with Bale this summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

How about stopping with all the ifs and buts and wait till 10 pm on Wednesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Let's just face it, we'll finish fifth.

Glebee wrote: »
    Let's just face it, we'll finish fifth.

I'm inclined to agree with this I'm afraid. Yesterday was a hammer blow. We are capable of winning at the bridge but will prob drop points at stoke then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I can almost see us beating Chelsea in a thrilling match, but losing points to Stoke in a horrible excuse for a game. They are without a doubt my most hated team, and play some awful football...yet it always seems to be bloody effective against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

One game at a time, beat Chelsea and lets take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

3 wins lads and we are guaranteed 4th. It's not over yet.

Everyone thought we might nick a point against City and look what happened there. All to play for.

I think Adebayor and Siggy should start on Wednesday instead of Defoe and Dempsey. Also, Huddlestone will get mauled by Mata and Oscar in midfield so impact sub at best. Chelsea very good at recycling the ball so energetic and combative midfield required. God I miss Sandro :(:(

Everyone thought we might nick a point against City and look what happened there. All to play for.

I think Adebayor and Siggy should start on Wednesday instead of Defoe and Dempsey. Also, Huddlestone will get mauled by Mata and Oscar in midfield so impact sub at best. Chelsea very good at recycling the ball so energetic and combative midfield required. God I miss Sandro :(:(

Yeah and wouldn't vdv love this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Hate to say it but we're just not good enough. Take bale away and what have we really got to offer.

Utd, city and Chelsea are better teams. We're more on a par with arsenlol and there not great.

Glebee wrote: »
    Hate to say it but we're just not good enough. Take bale away and what have we really got to offer.

Utd, city and Chelsea are better teams. We're more on a par with arsenlol and there not great.

I think we're seeing more of our limitations without Sandro in the side and not just with Bale in it.

I firmly believe that if we managed to have had Sandro for the entire season we would be 3rd right now, if not second due to Man City being so ****e this season. Not to forget about Kaboul too. People harp on about Dawson, he's a great guy and puts more effort into every game than everyone else combined but he needs to do that as he's not the best defender around. Kaboul was by far our best defender last season and without him we've struggled with set pieces this season.

Dembele was among the best midfielders in the league up until Christmas where he started to fall away. Surely there's a correlation between his form and Sandro's injury. Parker never seemed to give Demblee the freedom Sandro did.

It's almost at that point in the season where I admit I was wrong about January and it being the right call to not sign a striker. However I'll wait until we're confirmed as 5th spot finishers before doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

You'll always have injuries, that's just part of the game and the same for everybody.

I'm not going to be hard on AVB, he was trying to land a trophy, but squad managenent was our problem when we had all those games together over a month ago.

Like it or not, we don't have a squad like City or Chelsea. That's the differnce between us and them. Hell Mancini would struggle to manage a good shiote let alone a lesser squad. But its the depth that carried an arguably poor team to second position in the league. We ran on empty for a while there and I still say its what will ultimately cost us.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    You'll always have injuries, that's just part of the game and the same for everybody.

I'm not going to be hard on AVB, he was trying to land a trophy, but squad managenent was our problem when we had all those games together over a month ago.

Like it or not, we don't have a squad like City or Chelsea. That's the differnce between us and them. Hell Mancini would struggle to manage a good shiote let alone a lesser squad. But its the depth that carried an arguably poor team to second position in the league. We ran on empty for a while there and I still say its what will ultimately cost us.

So basically what you're saying is, all things considered we're punching well above our weight in comparison to Chelsea and Man City? If you look at the season on whole, the strength of the three squads, the amount of games we've played compared to City... We're doing quite well eh?

So yeh, you shouldn't be hard on AVB..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

irishmover wrote: »
    So basically what you're saying is, all things considered we're punching well above our weight in comparison to Chelsea and Man City? If you look at the season on whole, the strength of the three squads, the amount of games we've played compared to City... We're doing quite well eh?

So yeh, you shouldn't be hard on AVB..

Thats what I just said. What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Dembele Lennon Parker all in contention for Wednesday night..be great if that's the case

My team Lloris Walker Verts Daws Benny Parker Dembele Lennon Bale Siggy Ade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Spurs beat Man City and Arsenal recently. We beat Man U at Old Trafford earlier in the season.

Yes Chelsea are favourites to win on Wednesday. So its realistic to assume Chelsea will win.

I'd like to say I believe we will win but that would just be the heart ruling the head.

All that said I do believe we have a reasonable chance against a Chelsea side who have played many more games than any one else in the league. If things are level with twenty minutes to go that could be the slight advantage we need. If we do manage a win then I think we will get CL football next season.

If we get a draw which is more probable imo then we would need to win both our remaining games and hope the Gooners draw or lose one of their remaining two.

If we don't finish in the top four I like all Spurs fans will be dissapointed. Mainly as it may mean less chance of attracting the players we want into the club.

I still think we should wait and see what happens. We could all be very happy Tottenham fans on the 19th. We can predict all we like but nobody actually knows.

I am happy with the manager and the direction the club are going. Like most Spurs fans the biggest complaint is not buying a top class striker, which will be remedied in the summer. So all in all its been a decent season with some thrills along the way. I'm sure even us fans could do with the summer break and then hope for an even better season come August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

That arsenal keeper has some gob on him. If I was AVB I'd pin that article up Wednesday nite...no need for a team talk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

That arsenal keeper has some gob on him. If I was AVB I'd pin that article up Wednesday nite...no need for a team talk

Yupp, totally agree. He needs to grow up and worry about his own game and team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

So basically what you're saying is, all things considered we're punching well above our weight in comparison to Chelsea and Man City?

I think this stat proves it...

Average total price of starting XI this season:

Chelsea £217M
    Man City £191.7M
    Man Utd £155M
    Arsenal £89.1M
    Spurs £82.5M

I think if we qualify for the Champions League next season we might see £30-40m added to our figure. Without the Champions League we'll be fighting for a top four spot with the same strength squad as this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

With regard to the Chelsea game on Wednesday. Does anyone remember a few seasons ago when we went to a star-studded City of Manchester stadium and won a 'top four decider' 1-0??

Believe!

With regard to the Chelsea game on Wednesday. Does anyone remember a few seasons ago when we went to a star-studded City of Manchester stadium and won a 'top four decider' 1-0??

Believe!

Exactly, In 2010 we had a run in of Arsenal (h), Chelsea (h) and City (a) and people gave us no chance, and then the Spurs beat them all!

No doubt Chelsea have a bigger/fitter squad but it's very possible.. Especially with that man Bale in the team! COYS

Not sure what to make of tonight's game

Stoke should now be safe (41 points) and might ease off a little in our game next weekend but mathematically they need a couple of more points to be sure.

Sunderland on the other hand must win at Southampton this weekend otherwise they are going to badly need points against us on the final day.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Thats what I just said. What's your point?

My point is, you're always overly critical when you post. Just making sure I have it perfectly clear you're not critical this time and actually understand what you're writing.

• Advertisement

Man United to win today, Sunderland to win tomorrow and Wigan to win on Tuesday before our match against Chelsea. They're all crucial results for us.

So far i'm wrong.... Although Sunderland and Stoke drawing isn't the end of the world.. Come on Wigan!

Advertisement