Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Also, apparently the quotes are doing the rounds so he'll be under real pressure to counter them with a performance. It may actually work in our favour!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

SuprSi wrote: »
    Also, apparently the quotes are doing the rounds so he'll be under real pressure to counter them with a performance. It may actually work in our favour!

Was just thinking the very same myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

SuprSi wrote: »

grasping-at-straws.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Its gona be a long week lads. We can bitch all we want but Newcastle can field whatever team they want. If it was truely blatant complaints could be lodged and maybe even acted upon. This would be useless to us as it wouldn't change anything. Teams have done it in the past, played weakened teams. If you look at it from the other side its a good time to give some of the young lads a game, see if they are up to it. Had we sewn up 3rd or 4th a few weeks ago would we have given a few fringe players a go?

If Wigan play anywhere close to yesterday they will have a good chance taking something of the gooners.

So lets not worry about Newcastle yet, wait to see what happens Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Its out of our hands lads.
    mqdefault.jpg

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I'm usually the most pessimistic fúcker ever, but I woke up today genuinely believing Wigan will get something at Arsenal tomorrow. They have to win, even a draw would suit us absolutely fine! Should I stop with this positive attitude and get back to reality!? The unknown is doing my head in and this isn't helping me study for my finals!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

arsenal haven’t been particularly great, stumbling over the finishing line. They've been winning much like ourselves but not in a convincing manner. I feel they've also had a substantial amount of luck also. I see them beating Newcastle quite easily.

If Wigan can stop them scoring early, thus making the crowd ancy then I think they can nick a point. They've decent options going forward but it’s at the back where they struggle. Even at 1-0 it’s still a wide open game, arsenal would still have to attack to secure victory. Wigan will go for it, and I’d expect the Wigan players to will be well up for this one.

To be honest, until I read Pardew's quotes, I thought our best chance was Newcastle beating them. Last day of the season, at home - surely they would want to impress their fans? Unfortunately, if the manager doesn't give a toss that will flow through to the players and it's unlikely they'll bother their arses, which means we need a favour from Wigan.

It remains to be seen how the result on Saturday will influence them. As nbar said, they need a win - anything less and they're relegated. Stranger things have happened, and anything other than Arsenal winning would be magnificent, but if I'm honest I can't see it happening.

Pardew says he want the fans to be enjoy the game and be entertained? whats enjoyable about seeing your team lose 3 or 4-nil? Absolutely nothing.
    Its a silly comment to make but I think it will work in our favour. He's made a tit of himself now and the newcastle fans or board wont accept a phoned-in performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Pardew says he want the fans to be enjoy the game and be entertained? whats enjoyable about seeing your team lose 3 or 4-nil? Absolutely nothing.
    Its a silly comment to make but I think it will work in our favour. He's made a tit of himself now and the newcastle fans or board wont accept a phoned-in performance.

it could also mean that they will go all out attack to entertain the fans.

If that happens then they could score a few

• Advertisement

Alan Pardew insists his Newcastle United side will not take their foot off the gas in the final game of the Barclays Premier League season.

The Magpies entertain Arsenal on Sunday at St. James' Park, knowing their top flight status is secured for another year following a 2-1 win away at Queens Park Rangers.

In his post-match interview at Loftus Road, the manager joked with the press that he was unconcerned about the result of the Gunners' fixture.

But he has reiterated his desire to end the 2012/13 campaign on a winning note and atone for two recent disappointing home defeats.

"I know people will have picked up on my comments about not caring about the result against Arsenal, which were of course a joke," Pardew told nufc.co.uk.

"It is definitely not the case that I would be happy for us to lose 4-0 against Arsenal on Sunday. I simply want our players and fans to be able to enjoy the game without looking over their shoulders.

"Even though we are now safe we will be putting in the same effort that we would for any other Premier League game.

"Our last two results at St. James' Park - against Sunderland and Liverpool - have been nowhere near good enough, and Sunday gives us the chance to put that right.

"We want to end the season on a positive, to finish in as high a position as possible and to give the fans something to cheer about on the final day of what has been a frustrating season.

"Arsenal will be doing everything they can to try and achieve a Champions League spot and we won't make it easy for them, make no mistake about that.

"This is a game everyone at this football club wants to win."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

A serious overreaction has occured lads, Pardew has publicly stated that his remark was a joke, his intention was that the pressure is now off his side as they have secured PL football for next season. As AVB would say, "they can play without fear";)
    http://www.london24.com/sport/arsenal/spurs_boosted_as_newcastle_boss_vows_to_attack_arsenal_1_2191282

To be honest I'd love to see Wigan do the business tomorrow, not just for our sake but for Martinez & Co. who have a tough time of it every season. At least they play football the way people like to see it played, not the hideous Stoke way. Gonna be very difficult for them to see out a result at the Emirates having exerted so much energy on Saturday, that said they were back training yesterday and the celebrations have been put on hold by the club.

Come on you Latics!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    arsenal haven’t been particularly great

Agreed. They've actually been quite fortunate with their run of games.

They played Fulham (who were safe), the next weekend they played United (who had just won the league) and then the following weekend they played QPR (who had just been relegated).

1-0, 1-1, 1-0.

They weren't convincing in any of the above games against teams who had nothing to play for. Roll on a confident Wigan with EVERYTHING to play for.

COYS!

Has there ever been a match day thread created for a match not involving spurs in the history of this forum?

I think we might just need one for tomorrow night, what do you think?

I’m just glad were still in the race. Does anyone know what games are being shown on Super Sunday? Sunderland aren’t going to be a walkover either, which nobody has eluded to. Please don’t create a thread regarding tomorrow night’s game, it smacks of having zero class, leave that to them lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I’m just glad were still in the race. Does anyone know what games are being shown on Super Sunday? Sunderland aren’t going to be a walkover either, which nobody has eluded to. Please don’t create a thread regarding tomorrow night’s game, it smacks of having zero class, leave that to them lot.

It would be great just to have it in our hands for Sunday. If we mess it up from there then so be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Agreed. They've actually been quite fortunate with their run of games.

They played Fulham (who were safe), the next weekend they played United (who had just won the league) and then the following weekend they played QPR (who had just been relegated).

1-0, 1-1, 1-0.

They weren't convincing in any of the above games against teams who had nothing to play for. Roll on a confident Wigan with EVERYTHING to play for.

COYS!

kettle, pot, etc etc ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thinking about it who has the most pressure on them tomorrow night, arsenlol or Wigan. Not really sure...

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Frank Gallagher pissed

You dumb ****s, you have no chance at 4th. Every year you little girls bottle it on the last day.

Alan Shatter supports Spurs , says it all. All arrogant deluded muppets that need putting in their place.

Gooners piss all over you lot. Always in our shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

You dumb ****s, you have no chance at 4th. Every year you little girls bottle it on the last day.

Alan Shatter supports Spurs , says it all. All arrogant deluded muppets that need putting in their place.

:D

Hello Mr Troll

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭Frank Gallagher pissed

Its all coming in to place this weekend. Spurs will lose Bale to United then. And back to their Sergei Rebrov days in the Europub league.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Its all coming in to place this weekend. Spurs will lose Bale to United then. And back to their Sergei Rebrov days in the Europub league.

You are such a classy guy. You going to be at the emirates then tomorrow night?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Week off for trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Zaph wrote: »
    Week off for trolling
    Thanks zaph

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

I thought Frank Gallagher was a citeh fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

God if Arsenal hang onto it I'm taking a break from the forum for a couple of weeks till the likes of out buddy frank there get the gloating/trolling out of the way.

Big night tonight, sticking €20 on Wigan+1 just got a feeling about them pulling a great escape and Newcastle will go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

ziedth wrote: »
    God if Arsenal hang onto it I'm taking a break from the forum for a couple of weeks till the likes of out buddy frank there get the gloating/trolling out of the way.

Big night tonight, sticking €20 on Wigan+1 just got a feeling about them pulling a great escape and Newcastle will go down.

You just jinxed it... I've learnt to never bet on results you really need for the club you support... Damn you Ziedth!!

I'm sure the arsenal fans will be feeling very tetchy waking up this morning. Can't wait for kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Is that you Arsene?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

ziedth wrote: »

What??? not possible, wigan & villa are playing in each other in the final game of the season, its between them & Sunderland. Good luck with that 20e too

Advertisement