Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

let's hope for another 4-4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

let's hope for another 4-4

firstly we need to beat sunderland, anyone confident of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

hugo29 wrote: »
    firstly we need to beat sunderland, anyone confident of that

yes, 2-1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Chelsea can still afford to lose on Sunday and finish top4 right (unless we beat sunderland 20-0)

So there's a very realistic chance that Arsenal will finish 3rd and not 4th if they win. Talk about a double slap in the face.:mad:

Chelsea can still afford to lose on Sunday and finish top4 right (unless we beat sunderland 20-0)

So there's a very realistic chance that Arsenal will finish 3rd and not 4th if they win. Talk about a double slap in the face.:mad:

if chelsea draw 0-0 and arsenal win 2-1 then its a play off between them for 3rd and 4th

• Advertisement

It's bit depressing when you go back and re-read pages 40-50 or so and how we all convinced Chelsea couldn't get maximum points in their remaining games and how they would surely lose to United and maybe Villa etc, too many games in a short time period etc.

Then there's arsenal, who managed to to get a QPR team just as they'd be confirmed as relegated, United just after they were crowned champions and Wigan 3 days after the biggest game in their history.

Doesn't exactly inspire you to think our fortunes might change anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

It's bit depressing when you go back and re-read pages 40-50 or so and how we all convinced Chelsea couldn't get maximum points in their remaining games and how they would surely lose to United and maybe Villa etc, too many games in a short time period etc.

Then there's arsenal, who managed to to get a QPR team just as they'd be confirmed as relegated, United just after they were crowned champions and Wigan 3 days after the biggest game in their history.

In Fairness to Benitez he did a great job getting the maximum points we were the only team he dropped points against I was sure United would beat them but United have been just going through the motions since they won the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

We have to give credit to both Chelsea and Arsenal really. We're just about in the hunt, thanks to some important recent results, but both our rivals have had excellent runs of late, when it really matters, putting them in the driving seat.

Having said that, so many things could happen this Sunday and out of all 3 teams, when it comes to the CL places we've had the least amount of luck on the last day of the season (or later) than any of them.

Let's hope that changes this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Also, quite depressing to see how few posters on this forum thought we'd have 11 points from five games going in to the last game. But we did it!

One game to go!

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Also, quite depressing to see how few posters on this forum thought we'd have 11 points from five games going in to the last game. But we did it!

One game to go!

COYS!
    I actually figured it would be 10-12 I expected to loose against Chelsea and draw against Stoke instead we lost to Fulham and drew against Chelsea.

• Advertisement

I posted about 3-4 weeks ago that we needed 13 more points to be sure, 12 would probably be enough. If we win tomorrow we will have 14 points from those games and still not qualify. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

This is one of the main problems. If we win on Sunday, we'll have won 72 points, our highest ever points total, and a score that would have guaranteed CL football in every single year since the PL started. It'll be a real shame if it doesn't work out but by the same token it's a tremendous achievement by AVB and the team and hopefully a sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

if chelsea draw 0-0 and arsenal win 2-1 then its a play off between them for 3rd and 4th

That I always wondered what would happen if this situation occurred. Did they take the two games between them into account? I can't remember off the top of my head what the results were

ziedth wrote: »
    That I always wondered what would happen if this situation occurred. Did they take the two games between them into account? I can't remember off the top of my head what the results were

I think they only take goals scored into account if they are level on points and not the head to head clashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think they only take goals scored into account if they are level on points and not the head to head clashes.

They must not,

It appears Chelsea won both games 2-1. I'm surprised the head to head isn't a factor, in it's on way it's more fair than goal difference

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I actually figured it would be 10-12 I expected to loose against Chelsea and draw against Stoke instead we lost to Fulham and drew against Chelsea.

I had us down to get 12, with a draw against Chelsea, City and Sunderland.... and a win against Wigan.

I thought Arsenal would win comfortably against Wigan. But there's a seed of doubt in my head about them winning at Newcastle. I know Newcastle have nothing to play for, yet the chink of doubt persists!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I had us down to get 12, with a draw against Chelsea, City and Sunderland.... and a win against Wigan.

I thought Arsenal would win comfortably against Wigan. But there's a seed of doubt in my head about them winning at Newcastle. I know Newcastle have nothing to play for, yet the chink of doubt persists!

I feel like that about Sunderland.

I feel like that about Sunderland.

The biggest kick in the gnoads would be Newcastle beat arsenal and we only draw with Sunderland,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

The biggest kick in the gnoads would be Newcastle beat arsenal and we only draw with Sunderland,
    Jazis, don't even think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

I would not be a bit surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

@SkySportsNews: SKY SOURCES: Newcastle owner Mike Ashley to pay non-football staff £1m bonus if team beats Arsenal tomorrow #SSN

Strange one that....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Emoran wrote: »
    @SkySportsNews: SKY SOURCES: Newcastle owner Mike Ashley to pay non-football staff £1m bonus if team beats Arsenal tomorrow #SSN

Strange one that....
    Lets hope the non playing staff remind the players of that.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Emoran wrote: »

Strange one that....

Ashley sure is a spurs fan

Nice incentive I suppose. Are there rules about offering similar incentives to the players for one off games, I imagine they can't do it unless its built into existing contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Levy must have offered Ashley 2m if they win lol

I think Arsenal will p1ss thru them tomorrow if they are up for it. our best hope is that arsenal bottle it and Newcastle hold out for a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spursman11

I think Arsenal will p1ss thru them tomorrow if they are up for it. our best hope is that arsenal bottle it and Newcastle hold out for a draw.
    and we win of course

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

SuprSi wrote: »
    This is one of the main problems. If we win on Sunday, we'll have won 72 points, our highest ever points total, and a score that would have guaranteed CL football in every single year since the PL started. It'll be a real shame if it doesn't work out but by the same token it's a tremendous achievement by AVB and the team and hopefully a sign of things to come.
    THFC wrote: »
    I can't believe this. You need more humble pie man!!!

Let's just presume that we win on Sunday, which we should even taking into account that we're Spurs. That will be 72 points, out highest ever tally in the PL. Enough for CL every season since 07-08 when there was 4 very strong teams. That in itself is enough for him to be staying.
    Then look at the fact we lost King, Kaboul, VDV and Modric last summer, along with arguably our most influential player in Sandro halfway through the season, and throw in the fact that Adebayor was absolute pigshít for 90% of the games.
    Then take into account he's only inherited the squad, he's completely changed the way we play and he's brought in a whole a new backroom team along with training strategies and like.

Madness to even contemplate getting rid of him. Call me deluded, but 3 seasons down the line I fully believe we will take a shot at the title. I think is the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

76 was what Liverpool got who finished 4th in the 07/08 season :)

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/premier-league/2007-2008/table

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

BKlSX6dCQAAVnHm.jpg:large

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Advertisement