Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

greendom wrote: »
    Ifs, buts and maybes - we still scored plenty more goals than you and conceded fewer.

What has that got to do with one goal being the difference between 1 point and 3 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

irishmover wrote: »
    What has that got to do with one goal being the difference between 1 point and 3 points?

Because you can point to many such moments over the course of the season. Highlighting one goal scored over a season of 38 matches is pretty futile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Lads, get over it, Arsenal (the team) are due their bragging rights. If they finished 4th and were all sulking we'd be mocking how they didn't care. Their team ground out the results under pressure, as for their fans:

@PiersMorgan - 'If you are first, you are first. If you are second, you are nothing.' - Bill Shankly.

Now that's embarrasing!!

greendom wrote: »
    Because you can point to many such moments over the course of the season. Highlighting one goal scored over a season of 38 matches is pretty futile.

Not really when on the last game of the season it went down to one solitary goal. Which it did. One goal. :D

Lads, get over it, Arsenal (the team) are due their bragging rights. If they finished 4th and were all sulking we'd be mocking how they didn't care. Their team ground out the results under pressure, as for their fans:

@PiersMorgan - 'If you are first, you are first. If you are second, you are nothing.' - Bill Shankly.

Now that's embarrasing!!

If you hadn't noticed I never posted once during and after the game until now... I'm allowed a few posts, right?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

i recall a certain arsene wegner slagging off spurs when they were celebrating finishing 4th all those years ago (after city match), wonder what he will say now after their celebrations yesterday

hugo29 wrote: »
    i recall a certain arsene wegner slagging off spurs when they were celebrating finishing 4th all those years ago (after city match), wonder what he will say now after their celebrations yesterday

You mean this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

mickman wrote: »
    Yes of course we will but they wont be proven "world class" players. LLoris didnt have much interest in him (even though he is excellent) and dembele cost 15 million.

15 mill seems to be our top price to spend

Its not the cost of the player that's the main issue (even though Levy seems to love a bargain here too), its the wages. We cant afford the wages of the top players so we have to catch them on the way up.

Levy knows then he will have to sell on when the wage demands push our structure (Bale!?!). The hope is that we continue to climb the ladder of wealth with sensible profitable transfer dealings and investment in assets that return value like the training ground and the stadium.

I think he has been proven to be correct with our progress over the last few years. With the exception of not managing to get a striker in January its hard to fault much of what he has done when you compare to other clubs. Most of our last signings have worked out very well after a season.

A Left back, creative midfielder and 2 new strikers and we could be right there challenging for the title next year in my view

If we have to sell Bale in the summer to an English side then United might not be the worst option as there could be good swap options with Rooney/Hernandez!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I dont really buy into the argument about the draws/loses at the start of the season costing us in the end. If you look back at those results (West Brom, Norwich, Wigan) this was when the players where still getting used to AVB's tactics and all of our rivals dropped points to the poorer teams at that stage too.

In fact there are always results of that nature in the first few months of every season as there will be next season I am sure.

I believe teams take stock of their league position after the xmas schedule and then decide whats realistic and it is the results in the run-in that ultimately determine the season.

If you look at the results at the business end of the season, apart from Liverpool away and Fulham which we all agreed where dreadful, you would also argue that dropping points in the Everton game (home) and more recently Wigan proved to be costly. In fact, both spurs and arsenal had Wigan during the run in, we drew with them, Arsenal won their match and thats what it came down to in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

slegs wrote: »
    Its not the cost of the player that's the main issue (even though Levy seems to love a bargain here too), its the wages. We cant afford the wages of the top players so we have to catch them on the way up.

Levy knows then he will have to sell on when the wage demands push our structure (Bale!?!). The hope is that we continue to climb the ladder of wealth with sensible profitable transfer dealings and investment in assets that return value like the training ground and the stadium.

I think he has been proven to be correct with our progress over the last few years. With the exception of not managing to get a striker in January its hard to fault much of what he has done when you compare to other clubs. Most of our last signings have worked out very well after a season.

A Left back, creative midfielder and 2 new strikers and we could be right there challenging for the title next year in my view

If we have to sell Bale in the summer to an English side then United might not be the worst option as there could be good swap options with Rooney/Hernandez!

Well said sir, catch them on the way, that's exactly what our strategy is, and when you consider how often the top clubs get it wrong with proven players, we have done amazingly well with our signings of unproven players in the past few seasons.

I presume you're joking about Rooney, seeing as he's on 250k a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Really gutted that we missed out on top 4. I have spent the last few hours thinking about the games we fcuked up on, but we'll drive ourselves mad if we continue doing that.

It's over now. Well done to Arsenal, they got one more point than us and scored a hatful more than us, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,760 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Would rather have seen Spurs in the Top 4 than Chelsea.

If Spurs can keep their team together and hold onto Bale they have a great chance again next season. They have some brilliant players and like most teams a few very ordinary ones.

Chins up and get ready for the fight next season.

http://www.footballfriendsonline.com/blogs/2013/5/25/a-detailed-look-at-what-would-have-happened-to-spurs-if-gare.html?mobify=0#

'Bale FC' would be relegated right now if it weren't for Spurs.

That article sums up everything wrong in modern football journalism. They would have finished 7th if they played most of the season with 10 men. To me that would have been quite an achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

WTF? That's a stupid fcuked up way of analysing things. That means LFC would've been relegated without Suarez and City would have taken the title if Man Utd didn't have RVP to net them winners.

WTF? That's a stupid fcuked up way of analysing things. That means LFC would've been relegated without Suarez and City would have taken the title if Man Utd didn't have RVP to net them winners.

The funniest thing is, people who want to believe the 'One man team' nonsense will eat this garbage right up. That isn't the first article I've read of the same topic with the same outcome either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

BUMP :-)

Chelski 2up after 60mins at the bridge but fear not Hudd & Livermore just came on to save the day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

5 of the big six will probably win this weekend so that makes todays win (without Bale) all the more importanr. How did Chelsea look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

ziedth wrote: »
    5 of the big six will probably win this weekend so that makes todays win (without Bale) all the more importanr. How did Chelsea look?

Comfortable win for Chelsea

Chelsea looked like they never came out of 2nd gear & had plenty to spare..schrule came on for last 20mins & looked at ease quality signing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Pity, I had hoped one of the three new managers might have a slow start but united have looked strong and I think Jose could pull it off anywhere.

Maybe City will go tits up...

• Advertisement

I Hope so Newcastle must be more up for the City game & new season than they were v gunners last game when we needed a favour the pack of dirty cheese eating surrender monkey frenchies

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Hard to tell after the 1st weekend, Utd and Chelsi had easy fixtures, we had a tougher one in my book and did well. Arse are the only ones to show any problems.

I still think United could struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Ah here lads. Lock/Close this thread... Nothing but bad memories. Lets open a new one after xmas when we know where we stand.

well every game & point counts & even at an early stage, if we had won just 1 more game we would be in CL not the EL

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

davycc wrote: »
    well every game & point counts & even at an early stage, if we had won just 1 more game we would be in CL not the EL

Yes indeed but let's not start off the season aiming for just 4th ! I'd love to see the race for 1st or 2nd or even 3rd appear later in the season.

I know & if we keep bale then 4th is the minimum we should be aiming for & AVB has the squad to challenge for the title if we hit the ground running & get lucky to have no injuries to Soldado or Bale or Kabul etc etc...

id fancy chelsea to win it followed by city & we can take 3rd spot at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Ah here lads. Lock/Close this thread... Nothing but bad memories. Lets open a new one after xmas when we look nailed on for 4th place.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Here's a bet for you lads, good value:

Paddy Power are quoting 11/1 on Spurs to win the EPL with a 16 point advantage. You can do this EW too which practically guarantees you you're money back.

We finished 17 points behind United last season, we should go better this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Here's a bet for you lads, good value:

Paddy Power are quoting 11/1 on Spurs to win the EPL with a 16 point advantage. You can do this EW too which practically guarantees you you're money back.

We finished 17 points behind United last season, we should go better this season.

Those are rubbish odds for us to win the league by 16 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

i got spurs to win it out in pp at 25/1 before the season started

Advertisement