Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Our Premier League match away to Manchester City will now take place on Tuesday, May 10, kicking-off at 7.45pm.

The date has been switched from Saturday, April 16 after City reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup. City now take on rivals United at Wembley that weekend.

Ticket details will follow in due course...

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Our Premier League match away to Manchester City will now take place on Tuesday, May 10, kicking-off at 7.45pm.

The real champions league final...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

kakee wrote: »

most probably :-)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We'll have been knocked out by that stage :pac:

And by that i mean knocked out of the running for 4th...we'll still be in the actual Champions League final after knocking out Real and Barca.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Kiith wrote: »
    We'll have been knocked out by that stage :pac:

And by that i mean knocked out of the running for 4th

I hope, and I imagine you hope, that I can throw this back in your face at the end of the season :D

• Advertisement

Mactard wrote: »
    I hope, and I imagine you hope, that I can throw this back in your face at the end of the season :D

And i will gladly take it ;)

TBH I'll be happy if we are still in the running going to City. Away games on the bounce at City and Liverpool wont be easy.

Sunderland didn't put up much fight today...

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Next weekends home fixture against Stoke is crucial game imo. Man City are away to Liverpool the following Monday.

If we win and City lose then we're back in the mix. Worst case scenario, we lose or draw and City win at Anfield then I'll be thinking that maybe it's just one bridge too far to make the top four unless City completely capitulate for their remaining fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Race almost over. 1 more crap goal-shy performance and we're gone, regardless of what City do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Does anyone look back at the January transfer window as our last opportunity to bring in top tier players?

A prolific striker would have probably would have been the difference in our last couple of draws. We could well be still in 4th place and challenging for 3rd for the sake of some ridiculous misses in our goal shy attack. Can't help but feel that we missed an absolutely golden opportunity to strengthen our squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I agree,

It was a missed chance this Christmas but in fairness it was a mental Market. I wouldn't consider Carroll much better then Pav and look what he went for. If we sign a top top striker in the summer it'll be worth it.

The problem for signing a top class striker this summer is, we may not be in the Champions League or (worst case) even the Europa League. No world class striker will come to us if we aren't playing world class European football.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Kiith wrote: »
    The problem for signing a top class striker this summer is, we may not be in the Champions League or (worst case) even the Europa League. No world class striker will come to us if we aren't playing world class European football.

I used to think the same. Then liverpool signed Saurez and Carroll.

If we dont have CL football next season it will make it harder to sign a top class striker but not impossible... you just have to be willing to spend silly money on transfers, pay the player way over the top wages and show them the ambition the club has... so thats us f**ked then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I don't know to be honest. The whole football world (in Europe!) will know about Spurs after this season in the CL. They'll have seen us beat Inter/AC, Bale scoring his hatrick, and then us unfortunately losing to Real. Our stock has gone up and whereas before Spurs could never realistically have been considered a CL team, we are now. I think if the club really wants a particular striker, we'll get him and it won't be for the silly money that was quoted around Christmas.

We need to start looking straight away though. None of this last minute bull**** that we've done for the last few deadlines. Get Harry out visiting strikers as soon as the season ends, and tey get someone in so that we can get a decent pre-season out of them.

Good point.

Its very important to get a striker in early so he can train with the team throughout pre-season as well as playing in the pre-season friendlies. That way he gets to form a partnership with his fellow strikers and can hit the ground running when the PL starts, otherwise it takes 8-10 games to get going and before you know it, its mid-november and you are out of the title race/League cup etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

I'd move heaven and earth for Benzema. I'd ship defoe & Crouch out for a pittance if I could. Defoe especially.

We still have City and Chelsea to play, looking at our fixtures 6 weeks ago there were many on here predicting maximum points from Blackpool, West Ham, Wolves & Wigan. As we know it doesn't work out like that.

The squad has a jaded look about it, if they snap out of it and perhaps play Kranjcar and Huddlestone more I've no reason to think they cannot win at SB, COM & even Anfield. To be honest we're gonna have to win 2 out of these 3 to have any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

golfball37 wrote: »
    I'd move heaven and earth for Benzema. I'd ship defoe & Crouch out for a pittance if I could. Defoe especially.

We still have City and Chelsea to play, looking at our fixtures 6 weeks ago there were many on here predicting maximum points from Blackpool, West Ham, Wolves & Wigan. As we know it doesn't work out like that.

The squad has a jaded look about it, if they snap out of it and perhaps play Kranjcar and Huddlestone more I've no reason to think they cannot win at SB, COM & even Anfield. To be honest we're gonna have to win 2 out of these 3 to have any chance.

great post

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

Does the FA cup semi's got to penos or replay? Replay between City and Utd would help our cause. I just have a sneaky suspision it will be a Top 4 spot but got in the same nail biting way as wer did last year.

We need our strickers to step up now - Pav (as much as he drives me metal:rolleyes:)) need to start getting goals. Can't see Defoe chipping in. We are in the hunt for 4th only by relying on goals from our midfielders. This needs to change.,..... and soon....

• Advertisement

strickers

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

strickers

Sorry, should have been goal shy strikers :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Have we not scored a goal in 7 and a half hours of football,that's shocking.

Liverpool 1 up at City. Not sure if i'm happy about that.

Go on the 'pool

If we've any hope of 4th then we need city to start dropping points, we can worry about liverpool when they get within 3 points of us (and are level on games played).

I for one would'nt exactly be gutted if we missed out on europa league football - another season of Thursday night games which only feck up our matches the following Sat/Sun ... gonna be hard to keep pace with the top4 next season if you spend every other mid-week in austria/poland/portugal in a 2nd rate competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Pool to finish off city and goons to spank pool at emirates next sunday....happy with those 2 results

Hopefully this results knocks the stuffing outta Citeh!

Even still, we need to go to ManC, liverpool and the bridge and get 6-7 points from 9 to have any hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Big help by Liverpool tonight. Stuffing like that might knock a bit of wind out of them and Tevez might have a lay off.

Need 7 from the matches Doney mentioned with three from City but I think we have a good chance if we hit a run City could very well fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great result for us tonight.. if Tevez is out for a few weeks that will really hurt their prospects. I'm not sure if I want them to win against United on Saturday or not... a win and it's all eyes on the Cup Final, a loss and maybe it knocks the wind out of their sails.

From our own point of view, we'll have a week off after the Madrid game to prepare for the Arsenal game. That will be a must-win considering we still have to go to Chelsea, City and Liverpool. Hopefully Lehmann will be in goal for them.. he looked well dodgy against Blackpool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

I could never shout for Arsenal against anyone, if we're not good enough to finish ahead of Liverpool we shoudn't even have a thread like this.

Looks like Tevez will be back for our game on May 10th, they said he's out for 4 weeks. :(

Advertisement