Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Caught in two minds time:

Do we write off 2nd and hope City hammer Arsenal ?
    Do we hope to keep sight of City and hope for a Gooner win ? /shudders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Not a hope of second. City win all day for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd rather City beat Arsenal, 3rd is fine.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'd rather City beat Arsenal, 3rd is fine.

4th will do me very nicely, would bite your hand off right now for 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

KingdomYid wrote: »
    4th will do me very nicely, would bite your hand off right now for 4th.

Forgot Chelsea passed us, yeah, 4th is fine

• Advertisement

Well a good result for us today. Next Sunday is a massive day now, what do we hope for in the early kick off? Chelsea win? Draw? Big big day in the race for 3rd and 4th IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Chelsea win all day, we don't have the legs for 3d. I'd rip your arm off now if you offered me for us to draw and Chelsea stuff Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I'm sure I heard one of the ESPN commentators mention yesterday that we are 2 or 3 points worse off this season compared to the same time last season which I was surprised to hear.

I think its important both for the team belief and the table standings that we do not lose next weekend.

If we can keep RVP quiet then we can hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Here Precious

I'm sure I heard one of the ESPN commentators mention yesterday that we are 2 or 3 points worse off this season compared to the same time last season which I was surprised to hear.

I think its important both for the team belief and the table standings that we do not lose next weekend.

If we can keep RVP quiet then we can hope.

We had 46 points from 21 games last season...not complaining though as we in driving seat for 4th..luv Avb...

Bring on the mancs and a new striker in the next 3 weeks

ziedth wrote: »
    Chelsea win all day, we don't have the legs for 3d. I'd rip your arm off now if you offered me for us to draw and Chelsea stuff Arsenal.

Yeah I tend to agree with you myself, after posting the question I thought to myself that I would be swaying towards a Chelsea win. As I said earlier would bite your hand off for 4th right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Yeah I tend to agree with you myself, after posting the question I thought to myself that I would be swaying towards a Chelsea win. As I said earlier would bite your hand off for 4th right now.

Agree, I'd take 4th now thanks very much

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

To be fair, 4th after losing two of our best players, isn't bad at all. I said at the start of the season that i'd be happy with a top 6 finish, but now i think i'll be disappointed if we don't get 4th. Will be very tough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

One thing I'm happy with is the number of clean sheets we are getting these days. One look at the top of the Premier League table and you'll see that it's goals conceded that's separating us from City/United and even Chelsea.

This is a direct result of our possession football under AVB. If we have the ball, the other team can't score.

In the last eight premier league matches we've conceded four goals. Two of which came in the Everton match. If we keep that record up for the run-in we should be doing pretty well.

Granted two of those matches ended in a 0-0. So with a bi of finishing we could be sitting very pretty.

Thats the problem - the finishing.

And its not a new problem either, we should have addressed it in the summer.

Having two strikers was never going to be enough.
    Having 2 inconsistent strikers was always going to be a problem.
    Having 1 of them f'off to the ACN for a few weeks was always a possibility.

So we only have DL to blame.

Levy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

One thing I'm happy with is the number of clean sheets we are getting these days. One look at the top of the Premier League table and you'll see that it's goals conceded that's separating us from City/United and even Chelsea.

Agree on the defence, looking good. And this is a reason why we should be wary of Arsenal, their GD is good but they're given away sloppy goals and if they can shore up their defence they could go on a run..

We on the other hand have that tight defence but we just aren't as prolific in front of goal... 'Spurs have lost just once in their last 13 games in all competitions, letting in just seven goals in their last 13 games in all competitions, keeping a clean sheet in seven of those matches (and limiting teams to one shot or less on target four times in their last six league outings). After Stoke’s recent blip – they’ve conceded 10 goals in their last three games– the title of meanest defence in the league may, on current form, belong to Tottenham.' http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/01/13/3668249/tottenham-must-buy-into-the-vision-of-villas-boas-and-strengthen-

What we all know we need is a prolific goalscorer and DL should be aware that you can get value for money in January, last year Saha scored just three league goals for Spurs, while his replacement at Goodison Park, Nikica Jelavic, bagged nine goals in 10 starts. Elsewhere Papiss Cisse struck 13 times in 14 appearances for Newcastle, with both players showing that there is genuine quality to be found in January.

Villas-Boas has proven his worth, prospering in adverse conditions, now it’s Levy’s turn to prove his own value to Tottenham and back the manager he bravely appointed last July.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Here Precious

Chelsea held by saints ...as bobby george would say...'lovely jubilee'

2 points ahead of us now with same games played.

2 points ahead of us now with same games played.

Still hope they win on Sunday though.

A draw would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Still hope they win on Sunday though.

Thing is, after tonight's result, if we and Chelsea win on Tuesday there will be a nine point gap between us and Arsenal. Plus we'll still only be two points behind the chavs! :D

If only we beat QPR! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Need Chelsea to beat Arsenal on Sunday. We have a better chance of finishing ahead of the goons, than challenging Chelsea for 3rd imo.

Thing is, after tonight's result, if we and Chelsea win on Tuesday there will be a nine point gap between us and Arsenal. Plus we'll still only be two points behind the chavs! :D

If only we beat QPR! :p

Well that is the ideal scenario :D. Us beating United is the small stumbling block haha.

I'd take two draws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Before the match today i was hoping for a draw in Arsenal Chelsea but now im hoping they knock a few more past them. Put a little dent in the gunners GD

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Well Chelsea did their part today. I would have been happierif they knocked in 4 or 5 but a draw today Will do nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

4 points against united and the league leaders is a great return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Good result today, given our history against Manchester United.

Carrick had a good game, he'd be a great player to have right now given Sandro's condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

70 points has never failed to make 4th spot, so 29 points from 15 games required i reckon. Going to be an exciting second half to the season.

Look at everton, the sneaky f***s

4 points behind us with a game in hand!

Looks like we have more than arsenal to compete with us for the last CL place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Theyve been there all season to be fair to them but I fancy arsenal to finish stronger. Its been a while since everton have been in this position so a lack of experience may show. Plus they are due a blip maybe

Advertisement