Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Yeah but they looked like they were dropping of the pace a few weeks ago and I didnt think we'd have to worry about them during the run in...

Hopefully they can steal a few points of chelsea and arsenal in the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

As an Evertonian I would be expecting 3 points tonight and closing the gap with Spurs to 1 point. Hopefully the Saints will be a bit unsettled following recent events at St Mary's.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Cant see southampton been anything other than a shambles tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

thread might need to be changed to "the race for 3rd" :)

very happy with AVBs Spurs at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I'd lock this thread, sure way to put a hoodoo on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Cant see southampton been anything other than a shambles tonight.

Yet they should be winning the game. Definitely the better side so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Theyve been there all season to be fair to them but I fancy arsenal to finish stronger. Its been a while since everton have been in this position so a lack of experience may show. Plus they are due a blip maybe
    I don't think a lack of experience will be a problem for Everton. I read recently that they have the oldest squad in the league, with guys like Distin, Neville, Howard, Pienaar, Jagielka all vastly experienced.

Good result for us, with Everton drawing tonight. Leaves us 3 points ahead on equal games played.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Yesterdays point looks even better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Almost perfect weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

thread might need to be changed to "the race for 3rd" :)

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I don't think a lack of experience will be a problem for Everton. I read recently that they have the oldest squad in the league, with guys like Distin, Neville, Howard, Pienaar, Jagielka all vastly experienced.

I agree that they are all vastly experienced players. No doubt about that.

However my point was that they are not necessarily experienced with regards this type of finish to the season and the amount of pressure that comes with every single game. I believe that will have an impact on them and thats were ourselves and arsenal have the advantage over them in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭celt262

I hate to say it but Lolerpool could also make a challenge they have a few tough games coming up which will tell alot about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

celt262 wrote: »
    I hate to say it but Lolerpool could also make a challenge they have a few tough games coming up which will tell alot about them.

9 points off us and three games against top 7 sides coming up it's way too late for them but I fully expect them back next year although if they loose suarez they Will struggle again. I could do without them challenging next year.

Our next three games are massive. We have to get more points then Arsenal by the end of them. I'll happily take 7 and keep the unbeaten run going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

celt262 wrote: »

Liverpool have not beaten a team in the top half of the league. If they can't beat the teams around them, they won't be challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

They're playing well at the moment though, and have to break that duck at some stage. Suarez is on fire and I could well see them going on a run. It won't matter to us as long as we stay consistent, which is something AVB seems to have managed with the team, but if we slip up at all it won't be just Arsenal & Everton who'll be on top of us, Liverpool could well be there too. Let's not write anybody off just yet - there's still a long way to go and if last season has taught us anything it's that no lead is unassailable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Gooners scoring goals for fun...:eek::eek:

Indeed. Not good to see, though from what i read West Ham's defense was shockingly bad.

5 of the next 6 fixtures for Arsenal in the league are identical to last season. Arsenal won all 6 last season and finished ahead of Spurs. Deja vu I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mullaj00

We'll be lucky to finish 7th! Arse and the 2 Bin-dippers (Red & Blue) are creeping up on us now!

• Advertisement

We only lost points to Everton to be fair. Not saying the draw was good enough, but at least Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool only equaled our tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Kiith wrote: »
    We only lost points to Everton to be fair. Not saying the draw was good enough, but at least Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool only equaled our tally.

True. I would not bet on us coming 4th unless we sign a top class goalscorer tomorrow to compliment Holtby just behind him. I don't fancy us away on Sunday either, just lacking the fighting spirit when it is put up to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,373 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

seriously think we'll be lucky to finish 5th the way were playing! Avb saying we dont need a striker after the leeds game has me worried. Hopefully he's just throwing others off the scent of some world class striker he has lined up! :rolleyes:

AVB said we do need a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jesus lads, have a bit of patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

THFC wrote: »

Correct. I think we're going for third, if everyone else wants to go for fifth, good luck!

Correct. I think we're going for third, if everyone else wants to go for fifth, good luck!

If you think with our current striker situation we can get 3rd then fair enough but I don't think so. I will hold fire until after 11pm but if nobody is in by then it is a bloody disgrace and not acceptable if we want CL next season aswell as keeping Bale & co.

Patience? how many transfer windows have we been patient for now?? We have been looking for a world class goalscorer for so long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Patience? how many transfer windows have we been patient for now?? We have been looking for a world class goalscorer for so long now.
    Because they're so plentiful. Tell me, who, that's world class, should we be aiming for? Realistically, the likes of Willian & Soldado are out of our league. Any world class player we've ever had (and at that, we've only had 2, maybe 3 in the past few years) we've nurtured, and the likes of Willian and Soldado aren't even world class tbh. The reality is that no world class player will be coming to us any time soon, least of all a world class striker, considering there is such a lack of them out there atm. We're not that big a club, our purchasing power, taking into account our wage cap, is not that strong. Adebayor is about the best striker in the world we could have signed, and we did, we fcuking robbed him. It's just unfortunate it hasn't worked out well so far.

• Advertisement

Because they're so plentiful. Tell me, who, that's world class, should we be aiming for? Realistically, the likes of Willian & Soldado are out of our league. Any world class player we've ever had (and at that, we've only had 2, maybe 3 in the past few years) we've nurtured, and the likes of Willian and Soldado aren't even world class tbh. The reality is that no world class player will be coming to us any time soon, least of all a world class striker, considering there is such a lack of them out there atm. We're not that big a club, our purchasing power, taking into account our wage cap, is not that strong. Adebayor is about the best striker in the world we could have signed, and we did, we fcuking robbed him. It's just unfortunate it hasn't worked out well so far.

Why is Soldado out of our league, why can't we buy a striker for 20 million? We apparently bid 22 for Mouthino. I just think we will fall short because our top 2 are not good enough to score the goals never mind the fact they could get injured.

Advertisement