Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The race for 4th..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Look I think people should reserve judgment about everything until our final position is sown up in the league.

A lot of players struggle to make an impact joining in the January window. We don't know if Damaio would be the guy to make us finish in the top 4 or not.

Potentially if we finish in the top 4 this is a good thing. If we manage it with our current squad and having not spent much at all between the summer and January then we'll be better off when signing players in the summer. We made a small loss due to no CL football. We just need to ensure that our squad, and the top young talent we have here will do enough to grab 4th or 3rd. Holtby joining now has massively put my mind at ease. We are in a much better position now with him.as for signing someone like Diame to slot in as an option in midfield, well £3.5m doesn't seem much but he's still at West Ham. Most likely he didn't want to leave and Arsenal were interested too and he didn't join them.

I think we have the squad to finish in the top 4. With teams around us presenting squads which aren't really much worse or better than us means it all goes down to the latter form and if we can maintain it. I believe we've more a chance of gaining CL football this season than last.

We still have the option for a loan signing which we may see happen. But people need to stop and think for a second when saying Levy should go. He has successfully kept us afloat financially when other chairmen are putting their clubs in huge debt. He's in advanced stages of planning a fantastic new stadium. He's got one of the best youth and training centers built in the world. He's learnt from his David Bentley mistakes of the past. He has ensured Gareth Bale is paid what he deserves and on a long term contract.

People should give him the benefit of the doubt and judge everything that went on this season after we've secured our final league place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

You don’t buy in January, simple as. I’m sick of the term “world class” being used. They don’t just fall out of the sky. None of the other teams around us strengthened either? Maybe after Ade’s extended holiday in the sun he’ll start banging them in? Maybe Holtby will be a great success, long way to go...enjoy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

KingdomYid wrote: »

Why is Soldado out of our league, why can't we buy a striker for 20 million? We apparently bid 22 for Mouthino. I just think we will fall short because our top 2 are not good enough to score the goals never mind the fact they could get injured.
    Because its not as easy as just making a bid and the player coming. If it were, Messi and Ronaldo would be at City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

THFC wrote: »
    Because its not as easy as just making a bid and the player coming. If it were, Messi and Ronaldo would be at City.

Yes very true, but it helps if you start negotiating on Jan 1st and not 31st.

Yes very true, but it helps if you start negotiating on Jan 1st and not 31st.

We can still sign players now just they don't join until next available window. We need more signings like that. Modric is the only one I recall....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Really hope villa have one of those days where they arent god awful. Any chance?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Really hope villa have one of those days where they arent god awful. Any chance?????

They're 2-1 up, fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Chelsea 1-0 down now too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

As good a day as we could have hoped for IMO........

......provided we do the business tomorrow.

If not its worth feck all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Defoe is out for 2 - 3 weeks with ankle ligament damage. Could be more. Let's hope for good news from Africa tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Just eight points off 2nd!

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'd take that, it's absolutely imperative that we stay at least 4 clear of Arsenal going into our game with them. I think that if they overtake us that day then we'll never get it back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Togo are out, at least we will have 1 fit striker back!

Petr Cech has broken his little finger!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

irishmover wrote: »
    Petr Cech has broken his little finger!

He'll hardly miss any games with that?
    Then again this is a professional soccer player we are talking about :D

Who's their backup keeper these days?

He'll hardly miss any games with that?
    Then again this is a professional soccer player we are talking about :D

Who's their backup keeper these days?

Turnbull I believe. He was in goal while Cech was injured last month aswell.

He's out of Czech Republics friendly anyway. So we shall see.

Well now isn't that an interesting table.

Untitled-1_74.jpg

By the way, forgot to mention but he took charge November 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Untitled-1_74.jpg

Very interesting
    Only 8 goals conceded in 13 games is quite impressive.

Very interesting
    Only 8 goals conceded in 13 games is quite impressive.

That period roughly starts just after AVB sat the players down and sorted out the mess that was conceding late goals.

Would love to know what he done to remedy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

It'd be nice if we could put another six points between us and Chelsea/Arsenal in the next 13 games!

• Advertisement

I really cannot sleep but here's some more interesting info...

H) Newcastle win
    A) West ham (Championship)
    H) Arsenal win
    A) Liverpool draw
    H) Fulham win
    A) Swansea draw
    H) Everton win
    A) Chelsea draw
    H) Man City loss
    A) Wigan win
    H) Southampton (championship)
    A) Stoke loss
    H) Sunderland win

Last season we got 21 points from the above fixtures. West Ham & Southampton were in the Championship though so potentially could have been another 6 pts if they were in the league last season.

So judging by that if we can almost match those results we would finish third based off of last season points position for third place, Arsenal (70).

Wishful thinking I know.

We lost away to liverpool last year? We must have been some sh1te that day as almost everyone left Anfield with points last season!

P.S. you have way to much time on your hands over there.

We lost away to liverpool last year? We must have been some sh1te that day as almost everyone left Anfield with points last season!

P.S. you have way to much time on your hands over there.

I'll PM you why.

We drew with Liverpool 0-0 actually.. Not sure why I seen it as a loss..

I really cannot sleep but here's some more interesting info...

H) Newcastle win
    A) West ham (Championship)
    H) Arsenal draw
    A) Liverpool draw
    H) Fulham win
    A) Swansea draw
    H) Everton win
    A) Chelsea loss
    H) Man City draw
    A) Wigan win
    H) Southampton (championship)
    A) Stoke draw
    H) Sunderland win

Last season we got 22 points from the above fixtures. West Ham & Southampton were in the Championship though so potentially could have been another 6 pts if they were in the league last season.

So judging by that if we can almost match those results we would finish third based off of last season points position for third place, Arsenal (70).

Wishful thinking I know.

There are a couple of mistakes there mate, we beat Arsenal at home drew with Chelsea away and lost to City(H) and Stoke(A).

I found myself doing the same thing yesterday, looking at remaining fixtures for all teams involved and predicting points but it never works out how it is supposed to haha.

There are a couple of mistakes there mate, we beat Arsenal at home drew with Chelsea away and lost to City(H) and Stoke(A).

I found myself doing the same thing yesterday, looking at remaining fixtures for all teams involved and predicting points but it never works out how it is supposed to haha.

Literally fixed it just before you posted.

Literally fixed it just before you posted.

No worries :D

Ha ha, Im the same lads - the ole' BBC websites premiership predictor tool goes into over-drive around this time of the year.

Defoe confirmed to be out for 3 weeks.

That means at the moment he will miss Newcastle, Lyon (x2) and West Ham.

I honestly think Newcastle will be very tough after seeing their win v Chelsea.

Also Kaboul is returning to light training today. Expected to be fit in 2-3 weeks. AVB said he's ben delighted with his attitude.

Really miss the 'boul....

• Advertisement

Defoe confirmed to be out for 3 weeks.

That means at the moment he will miss Newcastle, Lyon (x2) and West Ham.

I honestly think Newcastle will be very tough after seeing their win v Chelsea.

I know he hasnt been scoring recently but you'd put your house on him to score against his old club.

Lyon games are going to be very tough without an out-and-out striker, hopefully Ade will come good.

Advertisement