Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is it that banks are the only place that treat you like you aren't a customer

Options
  • 24-01-2011 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

I had the delightful experience of visiting the Bank of Ireland at lunchtime today and I just cant get over how c**p the service you get is. I wanted to lodge cash to my credit card, but apparently they have a new swanky quick lodge facility that doesnt accept credit cards so in order to pay cash into my credit card I was told I would have to queue up and go to a cashier. As there were five people in the queue I indicated I was unhappy to which I got a 'theres only 5 people in the queue'. When I asked why they ahd done away with the quick lodge facility which allows lodgements into credit cards I was told I would have to take that up with management. I was also told if I didnt want to queue up I could pay online. When I pointed out that cash cant be lodged online I got a look of contempt.

I HATE visiting banks! I give them my actual money and they also ahve about €300 a month in additional taxes to subsidise their stupidity and yet I am treated like a petty criminal trying to lodge and withdraw my own cash! Aaaagh!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Fi H wrote: »
    I HATE visiting banks! I give them my actual money and they also ahve about €300 a month in additional taxes to subsidise their stupidity and yet I am treated like a petty criminal trying to lodge and withdraw my own cash! Aaaagh!

You've just answered your own question, the frontline staff in the branches are sick of getting your type of attitude as if they were responsible for the mess that the banks are in. Lighten up and treat them with a bit more civility and you might get some back in return.

You're not prepared to queue if there's five people in front of you? Guess you haven't been to a McDonalds recently then!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Fi H wrote: »
    I had the delightful experience of visiting the Bank of Ireland at lunchtime today and I just cant get over how c**p the service you get is. I wanted to lodge cash to my credit card, but apparently they have a new swanky quick lodge facility that doesnt accept credit cards so in order to pay cash into my credit card I was told I would have to queue up and go to a cashier. As there were five people in the queue I indicated I was unhappy to which I got a 'theres only 5 people in the queue'. When I asked why they ahd done away with the quick lodge facility which allows lodgements into credit cards I was told I would have to take that up with management. I was also told if I didnt want to queue up I could pay online. When I pointed out that cash cant be lodged online I got a look of contempt.

If you pay more than the outstanding balance onto your credit card then it will be in credit. Why not make the payment online?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You can still quick lodge into your bank account then transfer into your cc account online. I wouldn't take a trip to the bank for €100. You could be waiting for 40 mins for 5 people to be served.

My card got swallowed by another banks atm, I called in twice to sort it out, ques were out the door. I wrote to them in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think it's just Bank of Ireland to be quite honest. I find AIB, Ulster Bank and particularly PTSB much nicer to deal with.

Bank of Ireland have always been rather snotty with customers, it's just their way of doing business. I think it goes back to the fact that they're an institution that dates from the 1700s. They simply don't like dealing with the peasants.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Solair wrote: »
    Bank of Ireland have always been rather snotty with customers, it's just their way of doing business. I think it goes back to the fact that they're an institution that dates from the 1700s. They simply don't like dealing with the peasants.

And this collective memory (of 300 years of banking) and prejudice (against peasants) is somehow instilled into the present day staff in Bank of Ireland - how?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

i think the banks are trying to get people to use online banking and use such things as the quick lodge more. because they are looking to reduce the amount of staff thats needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

coylemj wrote: »
    And this collective memory (of 300 years of banking) and prejudice (against peasants) is somehow instilled into the present day staff in Bank of Ireland - how?

Try asking them for an overdraft and you'll soon find out :D

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I don't deal with BOI so I don't know their attitude.

However companies do have corporate attitudes or esprit de corps. They work long and hard in instilling them in new trainees. They may be attitudes that value customer service above all or they may be attitudes that value history, a harking back to better things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

You've just answered your own question, the frontline staff in the branches are sick of getting your type of attitude as if they were responsible for the mess that the banks are in. Lighten up and treat them with a bit more civility and you might get some back in return.

Agree with this. Its the people you dont see in the bank that caused the mess. Its the same people you dont see that have removed the facility to lodge money to your credit card. The branch staff cannot make these changes.

If your unhappy with the bank why not move?

Advertisement