Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Crossfire?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I have the following:
    • Asus PK5 Deluxe with WiFi
    • Intel Q6600 CPU with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    • 4x1GB Kingston HyperX memory
    • Club HD4870 Overclocked Edition
    • Corsair TX750 750W PSU

I fancy an upgrade since, while most games run fines, there's a few where I get annoyingly low (sub-30) framerates. But unless I spent a lot of bucks, I'm really not going to see much (that is, more than 50%) improvement over my current system.

So in lieu of a full upgrade, in the meantime I was thinking of (a) overclocking my CPU, and (b) adding a second, 2nd-hand, 4870 in Crossfire to my machine, which I can hopefully get for around €60. That should keep me going for another year or so.

A few years ago, Crossfire seemed risible, but the general feedback about it now seems to be good. Do most modern games take advance of it these days? Also, will my PSU be sufficient?

Cheers,

P.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You'd see better gains by selling that 4870 and getting something newer. Crossfire doesn't work in all games and brings its own set of problems (micro stutter). I'm going back to a single card gpu, can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    You'd see better gains by selling that 4870 and getting something newer. Crossfire doesn't work in all games and brings its own set of problems (micro stutter). I'm going back to a single card gpu, can't wait

What card would you go mate?
    Just curious cause I was thinking of going xfire with my 6870 but after hearing what you said about xfire im in doubts now...

Cheers..

dwighet wrote: »
    What card would you go mate?
    Just curious cause I was thinking of going xfire with my 6870 but after hearing what you said about xfire im in doubts now...

Cheers..

4870x2.
    Even with my cpu at 3.8Ghz i sometimes felt microstutter, where the game is at 60fps but You feel lag where one gpu has finished rendering and the other is waiting to be fed. Its a single card for me from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    4870x2.
    Even with my cpu at 3.8Ghz i sometimes felt microstutter, where the game is at 60fps but You feel lag where one gpu has finished rendering and the other is waiting to be fed.

I presume that's the card you already had rather than the one you are planning to get? What card are you planning on?

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    I presume that's the card you already had rather than the one you are planning to get? What card are you planning on?

P.

Thinking of getting a 6950 when I'm flush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i'm putting my new build together at the moment and just waiting on some parts to arrive. I bought a 2nd hand 4870 to go with my current one so i will be able to tell you what it is like but it may not be for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Skerries wrote: »
    i'm putting my new build together at the moment and just waiting on some parts to arrive. I bought a 2nd hand 4870 to go with my current one so i will be able to tell you what it is like but it may not be for a few weeks

You should get approx 75fps on Black ops max settings except AA @ 2x and AF off. Thats on 2x 512mb 4870's (not oc'd), so basically older games should be ok but newer games AA + AF will stress the cards.

Heat and noise will be a prob on stock coolers.

Advertisement