Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio in Canary Islands

• 24-01-2011 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

As far as I can see RTE Radio 1 is only on Eurobird 1, (RTE site mentions Hotbird) and should be receivable in the Canaries. Anyone have practical experience of what dish size is required? I know I can look at coverage diagrams, but wondering if anyone here has real-world experience?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

My one time in the canaries they had massive dishes to receive Astra 2D (for BBC and RTÉ). 2.4 meters is what the barman said it was. Not surprising as it was huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

JaneAusten wrote: »
    As far as I can see RTE Radio 1 is only on Eurobird 1, (RTE site mentions Hotbird) and should be receivable in the Canaries. Anyone have practical experience of what dish size is required? I know I can look at coverage diagrams, but wondering if anyone here has real-world experience?

Do you have internet? If so then think about going down the internet radio route.

Much written here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056107919&highlight=Internet+radio

If you do something let us know.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

RTÉ Radio One was available on Hotbird up to 31 December 2009, when the service was discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 colm ross

hi.rte radio and newstalk can be got on a 80cm dish on the costa blanca. i would think a 1.4 would get them in the canaries. not positive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Somebody should tell all those with the massive dishes that they over compensated so.

The Canaries are quite a distance from Spain and Portugal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

RTE Radio 1 Extra & Newstalk aren't on Astra 2D, they're on Eurobird 1, so 2.4m dish mentioned earlier may well be overkill.

The Canaries are quite a distance from Spain and Portugal.[/QUOTE]
    i am well aware there is some distance between them. you will get rte radio on a smaller dish than one needed for astra2d in spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

@Greenman +1

Accessing it via internet seems a far easier solution. Either by internet radio or simply on a laptop/pc.

Using a sat dish just to access Radio 1 smacks of overkill...

exaisle wrote: »
    @Greenman +1

Accessing it via internet seems a far easier solution. Either by internet radio or simply on a laptop/pc.

Using a sat dish just to access Radio 1 smacks of overkill...
    a dish is handier if you only go over a few times a year. no monthly payments. a few music +kids channels . handy when it rains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

The larger dishes in the Canaries seem to be required as the signal gets weak after sunset. I know of a 1.5m dish that lost RTE television after 9pm in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 JaneAusten

Yes the large dishes are for people trying to get Irish or British TV on 2D.
    Eurobird should require a smaller dish, but it seems like no-one here has actual experience of it.
    Oh well, maybe I'd have more success on a Canaries board....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Eurobird should require a smaller dish, but it seems like no-one here has actual experience of it.

And the net option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

RTE Radio 1, 2FM, RnG and Lyric are all on 2D

Radio 1 Extra is on Eurobird, so you will get some/most R1 programmes, but it broadcasts others at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Also isn't RTE on WRN at certain times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Yes. See schedules here: http://www.wrn.org/listeners/#wrn-english-europe

Satellite reception details for WRN:Sky Digital, Channel 0122 (Eurobird 1, 28.5º East, Transponder C2, 11.224 GHz, Vertical, Symbol Rate 27.500 Mbaud, FEC 2/3, MPEG2 DVB audio stream. Select WRN Europe from audio menu.)

Eutelsat HOT BIRD 6, 13º East, Transponder 94, 12.597 GHz, Vertical, Symbol Rate 27.500 Mbaud, FEC 3/4, MPEG2 DVB audio stream. Select WRN English from audio menu.

Advertisement