Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental accommodation in Dundalk

Options
  • 24-01-2011 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Its looking like I will be moving to Dundalk very shortly with work so Im looking for some advice/info on rental accommodation in the area.

Are there any areas I should avoid,what can I expect to pay etc?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Mods if this isnt an appropriate thread please feel free to delete!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭house45

look and c if u can get a nice cosy house in coxes or barton park nice quiet area with lovely views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Expect to pay between €450 and €850.

Do you drive? There are some really nice places a short drive from town, but the really central places can be pretty bad.

The big one to avoid is Muirhevnamoir (slieve foy, doolargy, drive 1, drive 2, etc). Certain parts of coxes (farndreg, marion pk, oakland pk, beechmount drive, cedarwood pk) can be bad. Also avoid fatima, saltown, mary st, barrack st, hyde pk.. some of those places are more settled than others but definitely do your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Techni fan is on the ball, you should also pick up one of the local papers either the Argus or the Democrat to help make up your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Expect to pay between €450 and €850.

Do you drive? There are some really nice places a short drive from town, but the really central places can be pretty bad.

The big one to avoid is Muirhevnamoir (slieve foy, doolargy, drive 1, drive 2, etc). Certain parts of coxes (farndreg, marion pk, oakland pk, beechmount drive, cedarwood pk) can be bad. Also avoid fatima, saltown, mary st, barrack st, hyde pk.. some of those places are more settled than others but definitely do your research.

Would it not have been easier to name the decent places in your opinion? I'm originally from Muirhevnamor, Slieve Foy to be precise & the part I lived was a hell of a lot quieter than where I live now in a privvate estate. But in saying that I would avoid Doolargy Avenue meself.

Raffo69 wrote: »
    Would it not have been easier to name the decent places in your opinion? I'm originally from Muirhevnamor, Slieve Foy to be precise & the part I lived was a hell of a lot quieter than where I live now in a privvate estate. But in saying that I would avoid Doolargy Avenue meself.

People not from the town and on the lookout for a bargain might end up in muirhevnamoir. Not that there's anything wrong with most of it, but I wouldn't like to walk home after the pub if I lived there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Kind of intrigued as to what private estate you live in that isn't as quiet.
    Most likely one of the "college" estates.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Kind of intrigued as to what private estate you live in that isn't as quiet.
    Most likely one of the "college" estates.

Actually, Raffo69 has a point. I stayed in Glenwood. Really nice area if it wasn't for the amount of dog owners. Dogs bark from one of the day til the other when their owners go out to work and leave the dog outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Raffo69

I live nowhere near the college. I live up the top of Tom Bellew Avenue away from Muirhevnamore. There is always noisy cars, loud music which seems to come from all different places, dogs & there is a house full of Romanians who make enough noise at times you would think there was an army of them. Where I'm from in Slieve Foy is as quiet as anywhere in town & I'v always felt safe walkin about after dark. There is rarely anybody about.
    Forgot about the estates beside the college. I would avoid them like the plague. The houses are always getting robbed, good few muggings in that area & the problems with students are well documented in the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

I own a house in College Manor which I rent out, its never been robbed nor as any occupant ever ben mugged !! I agree that some of the estates around the college have become almost no go areas but they are not all the same. The residents committee in college manor do great work and hopefully we can keep the estate a pleasant place to live.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jets799

i live in m'more and i have had no problems, people around me are very nice, apart from one who said my dog barked.....
    you should just go and have a look for your self

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

OP,post when you see a house/appartment/flat that you like,put up here where it is etc... and im sure you will get a better opinion then.I live in a brilliant area in Dundalk town centre, but there are loads of areas within a minutes walking distance from here that i wouldnt let a dog lye down in.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

OP,post when you see a house/appartment/flat that you like,put up here where it is etc... and im sure you will get a better opinion then.I live in a brilliant area in Dundalk town centre, but there are loads of areas within a minutes walking distance from here that i wouldnt let a dog lye down in.

I can't understand the gibberish language you use . Are you asking Otis Driftwood to let everyone know his choice of house and area of preference and then offer it up for opinion . Look I'll quote his request
    Im looking for some advice/info on rental accommodation in the area.

shindig-jp wrote: »
    I can't understand the gibberish language you use . Are you asking Otis Driftwood to let everyone know his choice of house and area of preference and then offer it up for opinion . Look I'll quote his request
    If you dont understand the gibberish dont reply to it,thanks.

If you dont understand the gibberish dont reply to it,thanks.

Oh okay , I'll put you on my ignore list which should settle the problem and we can both thank each other in the process .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 werntonb

Hi all.

Its looking like I will be moving to Dundalk very shortly with work so Im looking for some advice/info on rental accommodation in the area.

Hi sir, I think you need to observe what is the environment of the place. If it is out less trouble,war or anything. And if it has area that you can do your hobby.. Just my suggestion.

Oh okay , I'll put you on my ignore list which should settle the problem and we can both thank each other in the process .
    Thanks for the favour ;)

werntonb wrote: »
    Hi sir, I think you need to observe what is the environment of the place. If it is out less trouble,war or anything. And if it has area that you can do your hobby.. Just my suggestion.

Now this English is far more understandable as it is your second language and are not living in Dundalk .

Try using a robot translation next time, then correct the syntax to get your words and phrases in grammatical order to form a sentence .

Just to fill you in , The war is over and we enjoy reading about the local shenanigans of cross-border diesel washing , pig trading and the odd lorry hijacking so quite peaceful area on the whole. The Coolies are wonderful for picnics and flying a kite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Now this English is far more understandable as it is your second language and are not living in Dundalk .

Try using a robot translation next time, then correct the syntax to get your words and phrases in grammatical order to form a sentence .

<<< *pointing users to Shins location* You certainly were not lying aboot yer lokation dats 4 shoor.

Onesimus wrote: »
    <<< *pointing users to Shins location* You certainly were not lying aboot yer lokation dats 4 shoor.

My place is there for all to see , no lies, so nothing to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I hope these past few posts have been of some use to you OP!:pac:

Not entirely a local myself, moved to Dundalk 2.5 years ago, p/t job involves driving around the place so if theres any spots thats taking your fancy, post them up and hopefully you will get a straight up "yay" or "nay" response.

• Advertisement

My place is there for all to see , no lies, so nothing to remember.
    Oh,and will you get Kyosushi(your alter ego) to put me on the ignore button too :D
    http://www.49nutters.com/_/Mo-truck.html
    This is you as Shindig-jp
    And on the same site :
    workingT2..html#1
    http://www.49nutters.com/_/workingT2..html#0
    Here is you as Kyosushi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭kyosushi

I gave Shindig a Job , You are abusing a poster here who may not have seen what you have written . But the publicity of a new business may be the advantage here.

Leaving unfounded messages on my visitor page is not welcome and I want an apology

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Hi all.

OP - I have a room to rent in a 3 bed house. Havent put it up yet but in a nice quiet area of the town. PM me if interested. :)

The thing that puts me off moving is I have to give a month's notice to the landlord, finding it hard to come across a place thats available in a month's time.

Is it a good sized room MugsMugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Double room - Double bed. Own Bathroom

pm on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

OP: do your best to find a 10 year old house in the area. 600 euro max. The old houses are not worth the bother. I agree with 10 green bottles. There are some houses I would not let a dog lie down in. In fact there are some houses I have seen that people should be taken to court for allowing people to look at or live in.

Stay away from the old ones. Look to the recently built.

Onesimus

kyosushi wrote: »
    I gave Shindig a Job , You are abusing a poster here who may not have seen what you have written . But the publicity of a new business may be the advantage here.

Leaving unfounded messages on my visitor page is not welcome and I want an apology
    Please hold your breath waiting for the above :rolleyes:
    If thats a new buisness website then i will pray hard that your buisness wont go belly up in the next six months :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 werntonb

Just to fill you in , The war is over and we enjoy reading about the local shenanigans of cross-border diesel washing , pig trading and the odd lorry hijacking so quite peaceful area on the whole. The Coolies are wonderful for picnics and flying a kite.

Thanks sir for suggesting, I am not that fluent in English. Maybe I need to learn more how to speak fluently in English.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 htimsydna

Oh,and will you get Kyosushi(your alter ego) to put me on the ignore button too :D
    http://www.49nutters.com/_/Mo-truck.html
    This is you as Shindig-jp
    And on the same site :
    workingT2..html#1
    http://www.49nutters.com/_/workingT2..html#0
    Here is you as Kyosushi

I sent mail , Please advise , Who is the owner , I need some graphic work done for advertising project , very impressed with the concept shop idea ,

Advertisement