Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Four Coming to America - This Is Official

Options
  • 24-01-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

163126_192793024079513_191693880856094_701557_5851930_n.jpg

This just went up two minutes ago on the Facebook page, it obviously differs from the notice on Metallica's page and gives concrete information. Roll on tomorrow I suppose for all those lucky Americans, lets see how many dates will be announced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

It is difficult not to be bitter, I'd love an Irish Metallica gig this year. Preferably with Megadaves in tow.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

What no Kiss?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It'll be interesting to see just how far this goes in terms of dates, how many dates are organised, it'll most likely be a Summer package thing harking back to the big early 90's tours like the Metallica/GNR/Faith No More triple bill of 92, just something spectacularly huge that takes place over a single day.

I'll be interested to see the stage set up and you would hope another pro shot DVD is coming our way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

It'll be interesting to see just how far this goes in terms of dates, how many dates are organised, it'll most likely be a Summer package thing harking back to the big early 90's tours like the Metallica/GNR/Faith No More triple bill of 92, just something spectacularly huge that takes place over a single day.

I'll be interested to see the stage set up and you would hope another pro shot DVD is coming our way

Jesus, what would be the point in another DVD of the same show!? They had NIMES out recently enough, and then the original Big 4 DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Just one show in California in April.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=603555

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Loada bollox. One show? At a polo club no less. Im sure they are sandbagging, this has to be an earner for em.

Loada bollox. One show? At a polo club no less. Im sure they are sandbagging, this has to be an earner for em.

Megadeth, for starters, finish their European Tour just about 10 days shy of this date - presumably it will be a chance to regroup and practice for this show. And you've got to believe that if a DVD isn't released of this appearance it will be an opportunity not cashed in.

Well I have to say that really and truly sucks for the US fans. The announcement today was short and sweet and couldn't have been more crushing for US Thrash Metal fans.
    Four of the heaviest bands of all time, share one stage for the one and only U.S. appearance, Saturday April 23rd 2011 - Empire Polo Club, Indio, CA

Surely a tour could have happened, launching just one date in one indoor club, absolutely stupid

It's the same venue where the Coachella Music Festival is held,huge outdoor European-style festival.

180453_499531174762_770054762_5981150_3749256_n.jpg

• Advertisement

The problem is, they bill this as the one and only US date, which at the moment happens to be a fact but what if they decide to add more - even in 2012 and 2013 - I mean, legally, will they have a leg to stand on since it's false advertising. They haven't said "you may never see this happen again" they have actually stated, in print, this is the one and only US gig....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

But who's going to sue them for adding extra dates? If they promised to play somewhere and pulled out at the last minute thats a different story

grimm2005 wrote: »
    But who's going to sue them for adding extra dates? If they promised to play somewhere and pulled out at the last minute thats a different story

What about the person who spends $300 to drive from Ohio or $800 to fly return from New York because they want to see this event, plus accommodation, plus food and plus time off work - in a time when it's not the best economy the US has ever seen - and then Metallica turn around and announce a Big Four nationwide tour. That would piss a lot of people off (even some of those who could afford to go to another gig)

On the other hand, you could keep that money, do nothing and stay at home if you think a nationwide tour is going to happen. But then if it doesn't you miss out on the event - so either way you're feeling a little screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Ha, You can't sue a band/promoter for saying it's a one off gig.

How many bands have claimed that a tour was going to be their last but reformed a few years later.

Are they legally obliged to never tour again?

Big 4 me hole anyway, load of racket all about nothing! The organisers must be loving this circus.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Are they legally obliged to never tour again?

If they have any self respect they should at least wait a year before embarking on a single other date in the US - I do think, with respect, that they should have NEVER marketed as the 'One and Only show' - that in itself is false advertising - but since Slayer are soon to be off the road (due to wanting to make a follow up to World Painted Blood for 2012) and since Metallica only planned to have a quiet year I don't think we'll need to worry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I'll tell you why I think the US shouldn't get big gig tours, it's their attitude to the damn things, and this also shows itself in the modified version of the concert poster on the last page. I remember reading quite a lot of the Faith No More pages on Facebook and Twitter and so on over the last two years while they were on tour, and it was full of people from Chile (especially), Argentina, Austrailia, Brazil, Europe, etc. coming on and posting stuff like "Come to [-] please, we want to see you guys, you're great" and similar stuff to that.

Then the occasional Yank (and not all American's are like this) would come on and say **** like "Come to America, you ****s!" and "Why don't you come to the USA, you ****ing owe it to us!". These idiots aren't the majority, but they're a good enough reason to avoid them. And it also showed at FNM's second night of the Hollywood shows.

Nailz wrote: »
    And it also showed at FNM's second night of the Hollywood shows.

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Mike Patton done a stage dive during Pristina I think, last song in the set if I remember correctly, loads of pricks were trying to (and did) thug the microphone out of his hands, when he got so far people in the crowd they wouldn't pass him back despite being clearly gestured to push him back up to the stage, they were pulling on his clothes and some twat grabbed him where no man should be grabbed, and then someone ripped his necklace off. I think the man who stole his necklace got planted a box by a fan, and no one really wants any violence, even if he kind of deserved it. Once Mike got back on stage to go off he didn't look one bit happy, properly pissed off.

A friend of mine got a pretty good video of it I think, you can't really see that fella getting hit though. I'll try and find it.

Edit: Couldn't find my friends one, but I did find one with a better view of what's going on. If you want to fast track to it, just to about half way in the video, didn't remember seeing Patton taking a few shots at your man but it looks like he through a couple of punches here.

He won't like that at all. I met Faith No More in 2009, Mike Patton the least so, he was going somewhere after the gig and didn't stay and chat. Seemed pleasant enough though. Mike Bordin is a funny man!

Advertisement