Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Between the Canals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That trailer is way too long. The film itself could be good though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 156 ✭✭Cranky Mc Funhouse

Looks interesting, hopefully for once the filmmakers dont over-play the 'violence and drugs' card in favour of a good storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Meant to be ****e!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Meant to be ****e!

Yeah I've seen it - kind of reminded me of something that would be made by a community project. Seemed to have a fair bit of ad-libbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I've seen it and it's shockingly bad. Terrible acting, terrible accents, terrible story line. If you know anything about the geography of Dublin it will perplex you how they manage to be in place A and then 30 seconds later they are in place B.

I got the impression the folks behind in were cashing in on the success of Adam and Paul but they come nowhere near it.

Avoid... it's 90 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

Not realistic IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Looks like a wannabe Boston crime movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

whats that all about release date march 18th 2011 iv had this on dvd since last year the blond one in it works in the chinease on north strand she looks way younger in the film then she does now :confused:

spider_pig wrote: »
    whats that all about release date march 18th 2011 iv had this on dvd since last year the blond one in it works in the chinease on north strand she looks way younger in the film then she does now :confused:

Maybe she looks younger because it was shot in the past?

How and where did you get it on DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Lollymcd wrote: »
    I've seen it and it's shockingly bad. Terrible acting, terrible accents, terrible story line. ......

Not realistic IMO

Well 2 out of four isn't bad: Dublin *is* shockingly bad and has terrible accents.

n900guy wrote: »
    Well 2 out of four isn't bad: Dublin *is* shockingly bad and has terrible accents.

Get away with you out of this forum... you culchie you.... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I've seen it and it's shockingly bad. Terrible acting, terrible accents, terrible story line. If you know anything about the geography of Dublin it will perplex you how they manage to be in place A and then 30 seconds later they are in place B.

I got the impression the folks behind in were cashing in on the success of Adam and Paul but they come nowhere near it.

Avoid... it's 90 minutes of your life you'll never get back.

Not realistic IMO

I actually thought the geography was fairly OK, I was expecting it to cut radomly around the place. I'm not sure where the original block of flats was, I presume Sherriff St but they seemed to make fairly logical progress along Amiens St out to the canal after that.

The acting was patchy alright, especially the bit parts, it seemed like they just grabbed a few passing locals at times.

The guy who played Dots was good though and Dempsey made for a convincing scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

They overdid it a bit with the fake teeth by the looks of things!

Is it out on DVD yet?checked the IFI site there and they don't seem to be showing it anymore

hardCopy wrote: »
    I presume Sherriff St but they seemed to make fairly logical progress along Amiens St out to the canal after that

Liberty House flats on Railway St which is off Buckingham St which is off Amiens St but a good bit from the canal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

I really don't understand why nearly every independant movie set in this city needs to be about crime and/or scumbags. Adam and Paul, intermission, perriers bounty, this. I would imagine it's actually cheaper to make Annie Hall type Woodie Allen films that actually show dublin in a good light. Or do the irish film board think they're hollywood, and need to see guns and explosions in a script before they subsidise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

TheManWho wrote: »
    I would imagine it's actually cheaper to make Annie Hall type Woodie Allen films that actually show dublin in a good light

Once would fall into that category I suppose.

TheManWho wrote: »
    I really don't understand why nearly every independant movie set in this city needs to be about crime and/or scumbags. Adam and Paul, intermission, perriers bounty, this. I would imagine it's actually cheaper to make Annie Hall type Woodie Allen films that actually show dublin in a good light. Or do the irish film board think they're hollywood, and need to see guns and explosions in a script before they subsidise it.

Goldfish Memory anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Liberty House flats on Railway St which is off Buckingham St which is off Amiens St but a good bit from the canal.

Yeah, but it took them about ten minutes to get there, via Connolly railway bride, Foley St, Five Lamps.

I'm not sure where the pool hall was in relation to Custom House Quay but I still thought it was generally realistic, considering most modern films splice in shots of Toronto or Melbourne for whatever city they're supposed to be in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Anybody see the shiite the was "Prosperity"?? Similar junk with cliches,gammy accents and terrible acting..the halfwit who wrote it is a boardsie too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Degsy wrote: »
    the halfwit who wrote it is a boardsie too!

What's his name on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Degsy wrote: »
    Anybody see the shiite the was "Prosperity"?? Similar junk with cliches,gammy accents and terrible acting..the halfwit who wrote it is a boardsie too!

I wouldn't consider Mark O'Halloran a halfwit at all. He's a smart guy.

Have you ever met him Degsy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Lahm

Mt0PW.jpg

That's a photo of him in character Lahm. I don't see what your point is.

I wouldn't consider Mark O'Halloran a halfwit at all. He's a smart guy.

Well whoever wrote the dialogue for Prosperity wasnt smart at all..lazy,cliched nonsense with gems such as "What am i like at all at all? A terrible eejit altogether so i am to be sure".

As it says here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I've not seen Prosperity but I liked Adam and Paul. And Garage really was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That's a photo of him in character Lahm. I don't see what your point is.

It's yer man who did the stupid dublin accent in adam and paul? He sounded like an oul wan most of the time.

From wikipedia:
    Mark O'Halloran is an Irish scriptwriter and actor. He is a native of Ennis, County Clare. He has written award-winning screenplays for the films Adam and Paul (in which he co-starred) and Garage and the RTE mini-series Prosperity.

Tells you all you need to know about his ability to write Dublin idiom.

You're mixing up your opinion of his talent as a writer with your opinion of him personally.

You don't think he's much good as a writer fair enough but branding him a halfwit because of that is silly.

I've met him and found him to be quite intelligent. But then again I make my judgements on people based on what they're like not on my opinion of their work. Perhaps that's just me.

Advertisement