Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butchers in Drogheda area

Options
  • 24-01-2011 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I've recently moved to the area, and I'm looking for suggestions and recommendations on what butcher shop to use to purchase meats.
    I have heard some reviews of some butchers in the area by local gossip and stuff :D, both good and bad reviews, so I just want to see what opinion people on here have and where they recommend using.

Does anyone know of any good butchers in the Drogheda area, or even in the surrounding villages (doesn't have to be in the town itself).
    I'm mainly looking for good quality food, good service and good prices of course. :D
    Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dagb20

Always used Sampsons on Peter Street for beef and lamb anyway. The lamb was always the best of quality we got anyway.
    Prices seem to be in line with the other local butchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Tuites, either on laurances st or the bull ring. The have a 3rd chop somewhere.

I love their sausages and stuffed chicken breast wrapped in a rasher yum!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Tuites +1 beside ollies bar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I've always used Tuites, either Trinity St (handy for parking) or the Bullring.
    They always throw in a good few bones for the dog as well.
    Lovely steaks and marinated pork chops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I've been to Kierans on West St and it was good.

I go to The Brink on the N2 between Slane and the Navan turn off a lot and I can honestly say that I would walk barefoot to it for the steaks - great Sirloin and also a great spot for party food.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The one in Bryanstown has rarely led me astray. Great food at great prices :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

washiskin wrote: »
    I've been to Kierans on West St and it was good.

I go to The Brink on the N2 between Slane and the Navan turn off a lot and I can honestly say that I would walk barefoot to it for the steaks - great Sirloin and also a great spot for party food.
    yup i second the brink , the mince is great too ,no fat on it , i think its 15 euro for 10lb of mince , lovely, my mouth is watering thinking on the steaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

whelan1 wrote: »
    yup i second the brink , the mince is great too ,no fat on it , i think its 15 euro for 10lb of mince , lovely, my mouth is watering thinking on the steaks

Wow that is a great price, surely thats not round mince is it ?

honest to god , this is steak mince , from prime cattle , once you go there once you will ne hooked, tell him noeleen sent you ;) he always has great offers on... well worth the trip , he also does lovely steak burgers , i am a farmer and know my meat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mrdsmith

Thanks for the suggestions!
    I tried Tuites, overall I was happy. Nice food and staff was very helpful.

Someone during the week recommended I go to McEvoys in Termonfeckin. I was told they had excellent special offers on. And they recommended I get my Christmas turkey there, cause there bronze. Lol. I suppose you have to think and plan ahead these days. Lol.
    Anyway, what is everyones opinions on McEvoys? Anything in particular which is really nice, or good value, etc.?
    I haven't got around to going out there yet to try their meats. Maybe next weekend I'll head out to have a look if I've time.

• Advertisement

Any opinions?
    Read my above post please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

i use McEvoys (amongst others) and have always found them to be friendly and knowledgeable, ready to discuss meat choices, particularly when you're not sure what cut you require. He also sells duck, and yes, the christmas turkeys are reared out the back. Ordinarily I'll use a butchers in Drogheda for convenience, but when i want consistent quality or a difficult requirement I go to McEvoys as a first choice. Other very good butchers are Callaghans and Commins, both in Ardee, but I found a bit pricey. McEvoys can be pricey, but on reflection the quality was far better than similar cuts bought elsewhere. Worthwhile dropping into, and definitley for the turkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Kunny

The one in Bryanstown has rarely led me astray. Great food at great prices :)

+1 for bryanstown butchers .. although its slightly out of the town

i use McEvoys (amongst others) and have always found them to be friendly and knowledgeable, ready to discuss meat choices, particularly when you're not sure what cut you require. He also sells duck, and yes, the christmas turkeys are reared out the back. Ordinarily I'll use a butchers in Drogheda for convenience, but when i want consistent quality or a difficult requirement I go to McEvoys as a first choice. Other very good butchers are Callaghans and Commins, both in Ardee, but I found a bit pricey. McEvoys can be pricey, but on reflection the quality was far better than similar cuts bought elsewhere. Worthwhile dropping into, and definitley for the turkey!

Yeah my neighbour was recomending McEvoys to me. She says she's been shopping their for a few years now. Yeah she also praised them for the quality of the food, and the offers they have on. She told me to get the 2lb of sausages for €4 !!!!!:eek: Dirt cheap! And they're homemade sausages apparently, so you can't go wrong I guess! And she recommended their marinated chicken breasts, I think it was 6 for €10 or something like that.
    I must pop out to them on the weekend, especially for those sausages! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

On re-reading my post, and to be fair to Mcevoys, they always have lots of special offers on that seem look like very good value. I kindof dont do that bulk shopping (only shop for two greedy people and two greedy doggies!) so they go over my head a bit. their sausage n stuff are very tasty, so when I do go to McEvoys, I'll buy some other stuff. I live over beyond Monasterboice, so Drogheda tends to be the convenient choice (but with mixed results, and some of my purchases have been below par), but as I said, if I want something different or special, I head to McEvoys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 The wing of dragon

I always choose Sampson in peter street.they has the best quality of steak and lamp.sausage is the most famous in drogheda.

On re-reading my post, and to be fair to Mcevoys, they always have lots of special offers on that seem look like very good value. I kindof dont do that bulk shopping (only shop for two greedy people and two greedy doggies!) so they go over my head a bit. their sausage n stuff are very tasty, so when I do go to McEvoys, I'll buy some other stuff. I live over beyond Monasterboice, so Drogheda tends to be the convenient choice (but with mixed results, and some of my purchases have been below par), but as I said, if I want something different or special, I head to McEvoys
    i live in tenure , but go to the brink near ashbourne for my meat , yummy and great value.. alot of the drogheda butchers are a total rip off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Where exactly is the brink? I'm liking the sound of it. :)

between slane and ashbourne beside panda waste , oh just gone up there now , steak for tea this evening

today we got 10lb of mince -no fat in it - €15
    10 chicken fillets €11.98
    family pack €16.99- this has burgers , rashers , a chicken , mince and other things which i cant remember
    4 t bone steaks , €28
    4 large striploins €21
    4lb stewing lamb ,
    whole lot was €100
    alot of meat there , great value , had 2 t bones this evening , fantastic

• Advertisement

I headed out to Termonfeckin today for a day out (unfortunately the weather wasn't great :rolleyes:), and therefore I dropped into McEvoys butchers.

Overall I was very impressed. Very good offers on, especially for bulk shoppers like me! :D And the young lad who served me was very polite and helpful.

I got the 2lb of sausages for €4, cooked them this afternoon and loved them! Absolutely delicious.

I also got a few other bits, stewing pieces, mince etc., and also got 3 chickens for €10. :eek: Amazing value! :D
    All the meats I got look very nice, so I'll be looking forward to eating them.

Advertisement