Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Nations Cup Squad

• 24-01-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0124/ireland_colemans_clarkc.html

Shay Given, Keiren Westwood

John O'Shea, Ciaran Clark, Seamus Coleman, Richard Dunne, Sean St. Ledger, Kevin Foley, Kevin Kilbane, Stephen Kelly, Darren O'Dea, Paul McShane, Marc Wilson

Darron Gibson, Glenn Whelan, Paul Green, Liam Lawrence, Stephen Hunt, Aiden McGeady, Keith Treacy, Damien Duff, Keith Fahey

Robbie Keane, Jonathan Walters, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Andy Keogh, Leon Best, Anthony Stokes

I really hope Clark, Coleman and Stokes all get decent gametime. Should be interesting to see how much time Keane sees on the pitch given his lack of football - Stokes and Long deserve a significant run due to their recent form.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Leon Best!!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wonder if he will play Clark at left-back as Houllier has done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Kilbane in the squad ahead of Stephen Ward?

Someone get Trap some new alzheimer's meds...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Huddersfield's finest will play left back.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Only 2 keepers? Odd.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Why the hell the likes of Robbie Keane, Doyle, Kilbane etc etc are in the squad I'll never know. This is the ideal time for Trap to look at new players, he'd be foolish to waste these games playing players he knows all about already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Why the hell the likes of Robbie Keane, Doyle, Kilbane etc etc are in the squad I'll never know. This is the ideal time for Trap to look at new players, he'd be foolish to waste these games playing players he knows all about already.

There' no point in playing a team full of newcomers. To really see the potential of new additions you'd have to play them alongside the player they will play with in the qualifiers. They need to learn to build partnerships with those already established.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

No problem with Doyle , a workhorse and always gives a 110% the other two should not see sight of the pitch , particularly Keane , cant remember the last time he played a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Fantastic. Really happy with Coleman and Clark being in the squad.

Would love to see Dunne and O'Shea become our regular central defenders, with Clark and Coleman becoming LB and RB. Both are more than capable of zipping up and down the wings and banging in the odd goal.

They've clearly found the right position at their clubs, Trap shouldn't change something that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

No James McCarthy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

IvySlayer wrote: »
    No James McCarthy?

Isn't he out injured for the rest of the season?

roryc wrote: »

Would love to see Dunne and O'Shea become our regular central defenders, with Clark and Coleman becoming LB and RB. Both are more than capable of zipping up and down the wings and banging in the odd goal.

They've clearly found the right position at their clubs, Trap shouldn't change something that works.
    Coleman plays RM at Everton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Clarke, Coleman, Tracey must be given a chance imo.

Disappointed to still see Paul Green in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

IvySlayer wrote: »
    No James McCarthy?

I think that's justifiable given his recent long term absence. The match is tomorrow fortnight, he won't be near match fit by then.

The absence of Ward is my only gripe, a rather sizable gripe at that though! Especially when you think that the man ahead of him will be 34 by the time of the match and failed to impress in the Championship hence now in League 1.

I would like to think that the likes of McCarthy, Meyler and Cunningham would have been selected had they not being unavailable due to injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

No problem with Doyle , a workhorse and always gives a 110% the other two should not see sight of the pitch , particularly Keane , cant remember the last time he played a game

Working hard should be a given - not an attribute. Keane has earnt the right to be given leeway for not playing in the first team at the moment , Not like he'd be the first to represent us under those circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Rooney10 wrote: »
    Clarke, Coleman, Tracey must be given a chance imo.

Disappointed to still see Paul Green in the squad.

I'm hoping when the likes of McCarthy and Meyler are fit then he will be behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

Voltwad wrote: »
    Huddersfield's finest will play left back.

I dont think he even plays left back for them.

I hope coleman gets some gametime preferably on the wing though. switch O'shea to left back and Clark in the middle with Dunne. Lets just prray that Green does not get any game time. I would like to see Wilson and Fahey playing in the centre. I really cant see him making all them changes though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

gustavo wrote: »
    Working hard should be a given - not an attribute. Keane has earnt the right to be given leeway for not playing in the first team at the moment , Not like he'd be the first to represent us under those circumstances.

No player earns the right to play on past glories , your only as good as your last performance , and in Keanes case I cant think of a good showing from him the last 5 -6 games in a green shirt.

Doyle always impresses and gives his all , has a hunger about him, dare I say proud to wear the jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Voltwad wrote: »
    Coleman plays RM at Everton.

I read a while ago that Moyes sees him as a RB, more wing-back probably, in the future. However given his lack of experience at defence in a standard such as the EPL he opted not to throw him into the defence just yet. Rather, give him gametime in the Everton XI on the RM and let him learn from Neville at RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

peejay1986 wrote: »
    There' no point in playing a team full of newcomers. To really see the potential of new additions you'd have to play them alongside the player they will play with in the qualifiers. They need to learn to build partnerships with those already established.

I agree with the learn partnership malarky, but Keane and Doyle are our No.1 and No.2 Strikers, if they are fit, they both start.
    So now would be a good chance to try out a couple of new strikers, give as many new people a chance to impress, so you'll know who to put on if Keane or Doyle gets injured.

Kilbane(too old), Given(you know what your getting), also should have been rested. I'm not going to go through the whole team, but I think you get what I am saying, The older pro's should have been given a rest

• Advertisement

I read a while ago that Moyes sees him as a RB, more wing-back probably, in the future. However given his lack of experience at defence in a standard such as the EPL he opted not to throw him into the defence just yet. Rather, give him gametime in the Everton XI on the RM and let him learn from Neville at RB.
    Moyes also sees Rodwell as a future CB but I think at this point in time both would be wasted in the back four. Under a defensive-minded manager, Coleman will not play RB. More experimental managers might test him in a RWB role but for the time being his best chance is to play RM and there's plenty of competition there already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Stokes definitely deserves his call up, been consistent for Hibs and Celtic over the past 18 months.

The surgery John Hughes performed to remove his head from his arse was successful :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

roryc wrote: »

Clark isn't a natural left back. He can do a job there and I'd rather him than Kilbane but we should be looking to bring in a natural left back if there's one available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Shay Given
    John O'Shea
    Seamus Coleman
    Richard Dunne
    Sean St. Ledger
    Glen Whelan
    Paul Green
    Aiden McGeady
    Damien Duff
    Robbie Keane
    Kevin Doyle

That's our strongest team selection out of the squad that was selected by Trap. When McCarthy regains fitness, I would be slotting him ahead of Paul Green. I simply cannot see the argument for other changes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Isn't he out injured for the rest of the season?

Think hes back start of feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Shay Given
    John O'Shea
    Seamus Coleman
    Richard Dunne
    Sean St. Ledger
    Glen Whelan
    Paul Green
    Aiden McGeady
    Damien Duff
    Robbie Keane
    Kevin Doyle

That's our strongest team selection out of the squad that was selected by Trap. When McCarthy regains fitness, I would be slotting him ahead of Paul Green. I simply cannot see the argument for other changes though.
    Fahey is a million miles ahead of Paul Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

No sign of Barry Maguire of Utrecht?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

No sign of Barry Maguire of Utrecht?

He turned down an U-21 call up, so I think he is in the bad boys corner.

Best realistic squad with all the injuries, with the exception of goalkeeper. Westwood should be nowhere near the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Shay Given
    John O'Shea
    Seamus Coleman
    Richard Dunne
    Sean St. Ledger
    Glen Whelan
    Paul Green
    Aiden McGeady
    Damien Duff
    Robbie Keane
    Kevin Doyle

Clearly Ciaran Clark should start ahead of Sledger. He is a regular in a EPL team. Also, Shane Long should be given a start ahead of Robbie. Long is playing and scoring every week and Robbie hasnt seen a pitch in weeks. Even Keith Fahey or Mark Wilson should be in ahead of Green because they are playing at a higher standard than the Championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Think hes back start of feb.

He was a sub at the weekend so probably not far off being fit, it is understandable why he's not included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Hard to believe Kilbane, now in League 1 and McShane now sitting on bench for a poor Hull side are stiil being included. Makes no sense at all. How can Ward be left off when these 2 are included?? Trap, I don't rate him and can't ever see any logic in what he does.

My team for these games would be:

Given (as he needs game time before Macedonia)

Coleman
    Dunne
    St Ledger
    Clark

McGeady
    Gibson
    Fahey
    Duff

Keane (same reason as Given)
    Long

But need to get Treacy, Stokes, Foley, Westwood involved, on maybe at half time or at least before the usual Trap choice of the 88th minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

St ledger hasn't put a foot wrong for us has he ? I can't remember anything he did wrong . I like him and Dunne together .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ward isn't too popular with Wolves fans from comments that I've read (that was a few months back mind). I don't think he is the answer to the left-back problem but I think he warrants a place in the squad. I'd like to see Clark get a run there or else put O'Shea there and bring Foley in at right-back. Just shake up the full-back slots a bit.

The forward options look a hell of a lot healthier than 12 months ago with Stokes doing well at Celtic, Long doing well at Reading, and Walters and Best doing OK too. Obviously we need Keane to play regularly but hopefully that's on the horizon.

The central midfield options are still the most depressing. Hopefully McCarthy rejoins the fold in due course. Clifford did well at Plymouth on loan before he had to go back to Chelsea. He might be the answer in 18 months or so. I think he's only 19 so a bit inexperienced to throw in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Kilbane will be playing for Ireland when he is 54 it seems

sad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Its a fukin joke that Wes Hoolahan keeps getting overlooked for the Irish squad. Hes scored 8 goals for Norwich this year including a number of assists and is probably one of their main players with them pushing for succesive promotion. Hes in his prime too but not a hope in hell will Trap even consider him:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Perfect opportunity to experiment a little bit here, same old same old by the looks of things we will learn nothing about potential for the future.

Given will play all these games (although right now he needs them)

Kilbane will play left full

Green will play central midfield etc................

Disappointing that McCarthy and Meyler are injured although id have wagered they would probably not get much game time even if they were in the squad.

Trap will use as few players as possible.

Id dedicate one game at least to playing an entirely experimental side

Westwood

Foley
    O'Shea
    St.Ledger
    Clark

Coleman
    Gibson
    Wilson
    McGeady

Stokes
    Long

Let the best of these lads mix into a more experienced line up for the next game. We desperately need to give experience to our younger players on the fringes in order to widen our pool of players come the competitive fixtures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Perfect opportunity to experiment a little bit here, same old same old by the looks of things we will learn nothing about potential for the future.

Given will play all these games (although right now he needs them)

Kilbane will play left full

Green will play central midfield etc................

Disappointing that McCarthy and Meyler are injured although id have wagered they would probably not get much game time even if they were in the squad.

Trap will use as few players as possible.

Id dedicate one game at least to playing an entirely experimental side

Westwood

Foley
    O'Shea
    St.Ledger
    Clark

Coleman
    Gibson
    Wilson
    McGeady

Stokes
    Long

Let the best of these lads mix into a more experienced line up for the next game. We desperately need to give experience to our younger players on the fringes in order to widen our pool of players come the competitive fixtures.

Agree, but only problem here is this is our only game before the Macedonia game. So can't put out a team like that really. My team I posted above is more realistic...but I don't trust Trap for a second. He will prob start Kilbane, McShame and Green and leave them on for 90 mins. I have no faith in him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

I'm a big fan of Trap, but why he prefers Paul McShane over someone like Seamus Coleman is something I'll never understand.

McShane is a trier but he lacks quality and he's error prone. Kilbane improved as the WC campaign went on, but still was at fault for a couple of goals that probably cost us top spot in the group.

We need young athletic players to cope with the Russians who ran riot in Dublin for the first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Its a fukin joke that Wes Hoolahan keeps getting overlooked for the Irish squad. Hes scored 8 goals for Norwich this year including a number of assists and is probably one of their main players with them pushing for succesive promotion. Hes in his prime too but not a hope in hell will Trap even consider him:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Trap probably never seen him play or even heard of him Id say, thats the problem!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

plasmaguy wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of Trap, but why he prefers Paul McShane over someone like Seamus Coleman is something I'll never understand.

McShane is a trier but he lacks quality and he's error prone. Kilbane improved as the WC campaign went on, but still was at fault for a couple of goals that probably cost us top spot in the group.

We need young athletic players to cope with the Russians who ran riot in Dublin for the first half.
    Should that not be why you shouldnt rate him as a manager though?? Any good manager could see McShane is pure poo, thats apart from all his other mad team selections ie Green.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Would like to see Delap in midfield, lets face it he plays every week for a decent PL side and has a monster throw, better than Green ffs

I would also like to see Harte recalled he can play at left and CB, and still has excellent set pieces, something we lack. Better to have him on the bench that McShane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

No Connor Sammon? :p

Presuming Meyler & McCarthy are both still injured, is Shane Duffy injured or whats he doing with himself lately, might have hear he was on loan at a lower division club? Guys like Ward, Barry Maguire, Houlihan would have all been nice to see get a run and test if they're up to the standard of International football, as we know the likes of Paul Green and Kilbane only weaken the team.

Overall happy with the squad though, next step for Clark and Coleman to be in the starting XI!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I agree with the learn partnership malarky, but Keane and Doyle are our No.1 and No.2 Strikers, if they are fit, they both start.
    So now would be a good chance to try out a couple of new strikers, give as many new people a chance to impress, so you'll know who to put on if Keane or Doyle gets injured.

Kilbane(too old), Given(you know what your getting), also should have been rested. I'm not going to go through the whole team, but I think you get what I am saying, The older pro's should have been given a rest

Yeah I do know what you're saying. With the likes of Given, he can afford to miss a game for Ireland. Would like to see Westwood get a full 90 minutes myself.

Anyone know, is this classed as a competitive game or a friendly? What limitations are there in regards to the number of substitutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭the_one_&_only

He turned down an U-21 call up, so I think he is in the bad boys corner.

Best realistic squad with all the injuries, with the exception of goalkeeper. Westwood should be nowhere near the squad.

http://www.skysports.com/interactive/top_tens_story/0,25722,15881_6700916,00.html
    Kieren Westwood, Coventry:
    Probably regarded as the best goalkeeper outside the Premier League, it remains to be seen just how long Coventry can hang on to their prized asset. Snapped up from Carlisle in the summer of 2008, Westwood is now valued in the £5million bracket and has reportedly been the subject of a failed bid from Spurs. Shay Given's natural successor in the Republic of Ireland side and a nailed-on future Prem star.

Don't really watch the championship but noticed the above article this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Trap Out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

No Hoolahan in the squad either. I give up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

http://www.skysports.com/interactive/top_tens_story/0,25722,15881_6700916,00.html

Don't really watch the championship but noticed the above article this morning

Was watching the Coventry match on Sky Sports there on Sunday. He played well, though the thing I noticed most was that both keepers were Irish! Paddy Kenny was in goal the other end!! He had both his eyebrows though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

sugarman wrote: »
    We could easily have Carr, Harte, O'Brien, Delap recalled to the squads
    They're all in their mid-thirties. What's the point, like? Carr and O'Brien called time on their international careers anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Having Delap in that midfield makes sense on every level. Better DM than Andrews, Green etc, and has the throw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

sugarman wrote: »
    Carr>>McShane

Harte>>Kilbane

Delap>>Green

Need i keep going?

With Green and McShane, all I can think is that hes planning long term and giving youth a chance. Lets just ignore KK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement