Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Nations Cup Squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Delap is not a defensive midfielder. He plays on the right side for Stoke usually. I wouldn't mind him in the squad as an impact sub but no way should he be a starter for the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Delap is not a defensive midfielder. He plays on the right side for Stoke usually. I wouldn't mind him in the squad as an impact sub but no way should he be a starter for the team.

He is playing centre mid for them this season. Pennant is on right wing. Delap is keeping Whelan out of the Stoke side & rightly so.

I'd have Delap on the bench for Ireland, a great option to bring on in last 20 mins if things are going against us. Lump the throws onto Leon Best's/Caleb Folans head and we will score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

IvySlayer wrote: »
    No James McCarthy?

Makes perfect sense not to pick him especially as he scored tonight against Villa. Trapattoni my bollíx.:mad:

Stevecw wrote: »
    He is playing centre mid for them this season. Pennant is on right wing. Delap is keeping Whelan out of the Stoke side & rightly so.

I'd have Delap on the bench for Ireland, a great option to bring on in last 20 mins if things are going against us. Lump the throws onto Leon Best's/Caleb Folans head and we will score!

Pennant hasn't played the last 2 games. Wilson and Whitehead were in the centre at the weekend against Fulham with Delap on the right.

I think Delap would be hopeless in the centre as there have been games where he has had more involvement via throws than with his feet. :pac:

James McCarthy is after getting called up to the U21 squad and not the Senior squad. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

James McCarthy is after getting called up to the U21 squad and not the Senior squad. Absolute joke.
    The decision or the U21s? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭DoireNod

The decision or the U21s? ;)
    That's actually a very strong U21 side. A few of those guys could easily stake a claim for the senior squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

The omission of James McCarthy is absolutely moronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭-Strawbs-

The omission of James McCarthy is absolutely moronic.

Could have won the Ballon d'Or and Trap would still claim he wasn't ready :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

About time Stokes got into the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

-Strawbs- wrote: »
    Could have won the Ballon d'Or and Trap would still claim he wasn't ready :rolleyes:

I know. Trap would pick the same squad over and over again if he could, regardless of who is playing or who is even in form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

McCarthy in, Fahey on standby, but Green in.. FFS!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

What I'd like to see:
    Westwood
    O'Shea St. Ledger Dunne Clark
    Coleman McCarthy Wilson McGeady
    Long Doyle

What we will see:
    Given
    McShane St. Ledger Dunne O'Shea
    Lawrence Gibson Whelan McGeady
    Keane Walters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

I'm even more shocked at Stokes being dropped to the 'standby' list. On current form, I'd start him ahead of Keane, Doyle, Walters and Best. Only Stokes and Long are playing with significant confidence at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Le King wrote: »
    What I'd like to see:
    Westwood
    O'Shea St. Ledger Dunne Clark
    Coleman McCarthy Wilson McGeady
    Long Doyle

What we will see:
    Given
    McShane St. Ledger Dunne O'Shea
    Lawrence Gibson Whelan McGeady
    Keane Walters

i'd say Green is a starter for definite unless he breaks BOTH his legs.

• Advertisement

I'm even more shocked at Stokes being dropped to the 'standby' list. On current form, I'd start him ahead of Keane, Doyle, Walters and Best. Only Stokes and Long are playing with significant confidence at the moment

It's Trap. McCarthy, Coleman and Clark need to be given games compared to the crap that fills their positions already.

i'd say Green is a starter for definite unless he breaks BOTH his legs.

Sorry, yeah he will probably start all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

On a positive note, thank **** McShane and Kilbane are out of the squad.

Given (Man City), Westwood (Coventry), O'Shea (Man Utd), Clark (Villa), Coleman (Everton), Dunne (Villa), St Ledger (Preston), Kelly (Fulham), O'Dea (Celtic), Wilson (Stoke), Gibson (Man Utd), Whelan (Stoke), Green (Derby), Lawrence (Portsmouth), McCarthy (Wigan), Treacy (Preston), Duff (Fulham), Keane (Tottenham), Walters (Stoke), Doyle (Wolves), Long (Reading), Best (Newcastle)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

On Kilbane, the guy is an absolute Irish legend and a cracking lad in a sport that's now full of complete and utter gutter thrash, but I think it's time for him to be dropped (from the starting line-up at least).
    I'm already having nightmares of Pandev running rings around him in March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Given (Man City), Westwood (Coventry), O'Shea (Man Utd), Clark (Villa), Coleman (Everton), Dunne (Villa), St Ledger (Preston), Kelly (Fulham), O'Dea (Celtic), Wilson (Stoke), Gibson (Man Utd), Whelan (Stoke), Green (Derby), Lawrence (Portsmouth), McCarthy (Wigan), Treacy (Preston), Duff (Fulham), Keane (Tottenham), Walters (Stoke), Doyle (Wolves), Long (Reading), Best (Newcastle)

Is this the definite squad? McCarthy made it?

• Advertisement

Is this the definite squad? McCarthy made it?

yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

LB Is a problem position for us, Enda Stevens at Shamrock Rovers is an exceptional talent and 1 for the future. Has been in the under age set up quite alot. Definatly worth a punt, also if green and whelan is all we have to offer, Stephen Rice could do a job for us, plays with his heart on his sleeve and gives 110% every match.

Since England are not turning out the Irish lads like they used too, we might have no option but to look closer to home, the standard of some players here is not far off, league 1 or championship level, given half the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Greg Cunningham will be our first choice LB before long.he was having a good season on loan before he broke his leg ,still very young but looks promising. He best placed to get the position as trap doesn't seem to want to give ward a chance .hopefully Clarke,Coleman and mccarthy get proper run outs.

Aside from Stokes & Fahey, add Kevin Foley, Keith Andrews, Stephen Hunt, Aiden McGeady, David Meyler & Greg Cunningham to that and we haven't a bad squad at all. I wonder if Andy Reid plays well for Blackpool that he might force his way back into the reckoning, Stephen Ward of Wolves too but it appears Trap hasn't any time for him either. Barry Maguire of Utrecht is another option. Conor Sammon might be useful he plays well for Wigan. Shane Duffy of Everton I'm sure will get a chance in time. Anyway, thank God McShane, Kilbane and Keogh are dropped and fingers crossed Paul Green is next. Onwards and upwards!

Keith Andrews played 90 minutes for Blackburn last night so wonder why Trap left him out. Are Kevin Foley, David Meyler & Stephen Hunt all injured ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Got me tickets for this. Anyone else goin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,469 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Got me tickets for this. Anyone else goin?

yep - heading with a couple of mates to the Wales game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

LB Is a problem position for us, Enda Stevens at Shamrock Rovers is an exceptional talent and 1 for the future. Has been in the under age set up quite alot. Definatly worth a punt, also if green and whelan is all we have to offer, Stephen Rice could do a job for us, plays with his heart on his sleeve and gives 110% every match.

Since England are not turning out the Irish lads like they used too, we might have no option but to look closer to home, the standard of some players here is not far off, league 1 or championship level, given half the chance.
    You can't be seriously proposing Stephen Rice for the Irish national side?

CSF wrote: »
    You can't be seriously proposing Stephen Rice for the Irish national side?

Dead serious, would play Whelan Green and Andrews off the park. Some people said the same thing about Keith Fahey when he was with ST PATS Fahey who for Ireland would ya stop. Some people have short memories, only 4 years ago Fahey was togging out for Bluebell united, and whenever he came up against Stephen Rice in the LOI, he came off 2nd best, and nothing has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Dead serious, would play Whelan Green and Andrews off the park. Some people said the same thing about Keith Fahey when he was with ST PATS Fahey who for Ireland would ya stop. Some people have short memories, only 4 years ago Fahey was togging out for Bluebell united, and whenever he came up against Stephen Rice in the LOI, he came off 2nd best, and nothing has changed.
    This isn't about Stephen Rice being a League of Ireland player, this is about Stephen Rice being Stephen Rice. Nowhere near good enough. Not even the best player in his position in the league last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Kevin Kilbane is dropped??:eek::eek:

About Fooking time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

throw in richie ryan so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Westwood should be nowhere near the squad.
    Strongly disagree with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Would have no problem with Richie Ryan being in the squad.

Don't think he would be a Trap player though.

As for Stephen Rice. I don't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CSF wrote: »
    This isn't about Stephen Rice being a League of Ireland player, this is about Stephen Rice being Stephen Rice. Nowhere near good enough. Not even the best player in his position in the league last season.

Rice is a superb player, and the one i covet most from Rovers. You obviously dont see enough Premier League games to say hes not good enough for ireland.

LOI players are walking into EPL teams he would fit in quite well in the EPL and/or ireland. hes a superb player and can do everything Trap expects in a midfielder.

Taking a while but knowledgable Irish EPL fans are starting notice our players getting games for EPL sides.

LB Is a problem position for us, Enda Stevens at Shamrock Rovers is an exceptional talent and 1 for the future.

Seems to have gone backwards at Rovers, for us he was as good as Coleman going forward now all he does is hoof it rarely breaks forward, i expected with some coaching he would be off to England by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Keith Fahey in for the injured Keith Treacy.

http://www.teamtalk.com/birmingham-city/6722216/Fahey-joins-Republic-squad

Should have been in the squad anyway. Was surprised when he was put on stand-by and Paul Green was in the squad.

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Keith Fahey in for the injured Keith Treacy.

http://www.teamtalk.com/birmingham-city/6722216/Fahey-joins-Republic-squad

Should have been in the squad anyway. Was surprised when he was put on stand-by and Paul Green was in the squad.

Birmingham were supposed to play on monday but it was changed to sunday.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Seems to have gone backwards at Rovers, for us he was as good as Coleman going forward now all he does is hoof it rarely breaks forward, i expected with some coaching he would be off to England by now.

To be honest i thought we might lose Enda at the end of last season, really is a bright talent. But what you say is very true, maybe MON has him playing the way he wants. But as an attacking full back he is excellent and with a bit of tutoring wouldn't look outta place in an Ireland team.

• Advertisement

Hopefully James McCarthy has earned himself some game time after his performance today.

Hopefully James McCarthy has earned himself some game time after his performance today.

Rumouringly sold to chelsea at the end of the season, deal agreed apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

Lads, are these games on RTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Nice second goal he scored today, very cheeky in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

To be honest i thought we might lose Enda at the end of last season, really is a bright talent. But what you say is very true, maybe MON has him playing the way he wants. But as an attacking full back he is excellent and with a bit of tutoring wouldn't look outta place in an Ireland team.

You are delusional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

James_LWAU wrote: »
    Lads, are these games on RTE?
    No they are on Sky,

Rte only have highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

No they are on Sky,

Rte only have highlights.

Its also live on S4C (sky 134). You can get english commentary via red button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

McCarthy and Keane out. Was really hoping McCarthy could claim his place in the team :(

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2011/0206/keanerobbie_mccarthyj.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Don't mind Robbie being out, we know everything about him.

But not McCarthy ffs. Is he really expecting Trap to throw him straight into a competitive international?! Although he's by far our best central midfielder, this is Trap we're talking about - ain't going to happen. Pissed off now, Whelan will probably start the qualifiers.

lawrence and best also out of squad, keogh called up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭sonic85

it didnt say anything about an injury to mccarthy in that article it just says he was forced out. i hope its a genuine injury and hes not just jerking us around. trap wont take sh!t and like mbroaders said i really want to see him become a regular in our midfield. his second goal yesterday was so classy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement