Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Nations Cup Squad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

would love to see this line up on tuesday

westwood
    kelly o'dea st ledger clark
    coleman wilson fahey duff
    long stokes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Stokes is on standby so he might get a callup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Disappointing to hear McCarthy is out. I think he's the best hope for central midfield we have at the moment and I agree that without playing in games like this there's no way Trap will pick him for a qualifier. I feared there would be a good few withdrawals due to the timing of the matches. I'd like to see a team along these lines:

Given

O'Shea
    Dunne
    St Ledger
    Clark

Coleman
    Fahey
    Wilson
    Duff

Doyle
    Walters

From FAI website regarding keane and mccarthy pull outs.

"Keane sustained a calf injury during West Ham United's game against Birmingham City today which caused him to pull out while McCarthy has been withdrawn by his club."

shower of *****

btw trap has just said at his press conference that clark and coleman WILL start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Our only truly quality CM's are McCarthy and possibly Meyler. At this rate, we won't the partnership until the bloody WC 2014 qualifying campaign. I get depressed when I think back to our options 10, even 6 years ago compared to now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

Would love to see us play a formation like Liverpool are currently playing but a bit more attack minded buts its Trap after all

Given

St Ledger
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    --Coleman
    Clark

Lawrence
    Whelan
    Duff

Doyle
    Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

RTE asking Trap about McCarthy's absence. Not sure that's wise. Don't want to see a club vs country row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ireland team just named

Given, O'Shea, Dunne, St Ledger, Clark; Coleman, Whelan, Gibson/Green, Duff; Walters, Doyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Walters?

roryc wrote: »
    Walters?

keane and Best both ruled out with injury

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

What about Long, Keogh and Stokes?

roryc wrote: »
    What about Long, Keogh and Stokes?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Maybe some game time.

Surprised Long is not starting as he on fire with Reading

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Kristian_

Glen Whelan still starting!
    We are so fooked for Euro 2012!
    I can't wait for Trap to go after we fail to qualify AGAIN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How I wish McCarthy was available. :(

It's a sad day when you have to choose between Gibson and Green. He shouldn't have to be picking either of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

RTE asking Trap about McCarthy's absence. Not sure that's wise. Don't want to see a club vs country row.

Of coourse they are going to ask him. Why wouldnt they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

mars bar wrote: »
    How I wish McCarthy was available. :(

It's a sad day when you have to choose between Gibson and Green. He shouldn't have to be picking either of them.

Tony O Donoughe was on Sunday Sport last night on Rdaio 1 and he was talking about the McCarthy withdrawal.

He mentioned something that caught my attention, he made a reference , in a questioning manner, about McCarthy's commitment to Ireland

The interviewer then went down the road of asking if McCarthy has been capped in an official game and whether the upcoming game v Wales is classed as a friendly or a official international.

I found it interesting, after all the huppla about McCarthy not declaring for Scotland is he now having second thoughts

When will he get the chance to be fully capped also, if Trap is reluctant to call him up for friendlies he is hardly going to throw him in to an official game unless he is really stuck.

Well Trap did call him up. Wigan withdrew him.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Tony O Donoughe was on Sunday Sport last night on Rdaio 1 and he was talking about the McCarthy withdrawal.

He mentioned something that caught my attention, he made a reference , in a questioning manner, about McCarthy's commitment to Ireland

The interviewer then went down the road of asking if McCarthy has been capped in an official game and whether the upcoming game v Wales is classed as a friendly or a official international.

I found it interesting, after all the huppla about McCarthy not declaring for Scotland is he now having second thoughts

When will he get the chance to be fully capped also, if Trap is reluctant to call him up for friendlies he is hardly going to throw him in to an official game unless he is really stuck.

Your reading too much into it , he's only back from injury and has only played a couple of games , Wigan just don't want him doing damage to his leg again so soon a bit of rest this week will do him the world of good

• Advertisement

will1977 wrote: »

Well, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who read that four or five times and thought there was only 10 players. Duffer is missing from that list...

James McCarthy situation would make me little nervous till I see him play in a proper international.

But agree that I think it's best for Wigan if he does not play as he young kid and only coming back from long lay off, but you will always get people reading into these things.

delighted he has named coleman right wing :)

delighted he has named coleman right wing :)

should been in November.

should been in November.

I know but i was afraid he was going to play him right back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Surely Trap has to play Gibson instead of Green. With no Lawrence we're pretty devoid of anyone who can cross a ball from set-pieces (where we usually score most of our goals).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Gibson must start, or should I say Green must NOT start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

lads does or has anyone actually seen much Derby games or Paul Green playing much? what the hell does trap see in him? Gibson has been fairly bad for utd lately but id still play him ahead of green. but ive only saw green play the few times with Ireland. Delightd Coleman and clark starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I'd say that any second thoughts that McCarthy may have had over choosing to declare for Ireland were put to bed with the sectarian abuse he suffered at away grounds when he was playing in Scotland.

Gibson must start, or should I say Green must NOT start!

The latter

Green has played 27 of Derby's 29 league games this season, the second most of their squad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Im actually surprised Trap is starting Coleman:rolleyes:
    November was a perfect time to start him or at least throw him on when we needed a goal in the last 20 mins of the match.
    I heard Mcarthy promised his Grandad before he died that he would declare for Ireland, only that makes me confident he will declare for us even if Trap doesnt play him for the next 12 months.

Green again?? That really is woeful and is imo a sackable offence. Theres better players in the LSL and LOI.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Crazy that Green is going to start again. He is hopelessly out of his depth at international level. I can understand Whelan starting as he needs a game after being left out by Stoke pretty much all season.

I think from what's in the squad Fahey should be in cm beside him. Gibson is hopeless too as shown by his last 2 Utd games.

Delighted to see Coleman start on right mf, and Clark getting a start too.

Walters starting is not totally unexpected, as Long picked up an injury last week that was expected to keep him out for a week or 2, but played 90 mins on Sat for Reading. So he is probably not 100% and would be better off not playing a full game.

Would have liked to see Stokes called up & not Keogh when Robbie pulled out.

Hope Westwood gets a half in goal, and that Fahey gets a half in cm too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Stevecw wrote: »
    Crazy that Green is going to start again. He is hopelessly out of his depth at international level. I can understand Whelan starting as he needs a game after being left out by Stoke pretty much all season.

I think from what's in the squad Fahey should be in cm beside him. Gibson is hopeless too as shown by his last 2 Utd games.

Delighted to see Coleman start on right mf, and Clark getting a start too.

Walters starting is not totally unexpected, as Long picked up an injury last week that was expected to keep him out for a week or 2, but played 90 mins on Sat for Reading. So he is probably not 100% and would be better off not playing a full game.

Would have liked to see Stokes called up & not Keogh when Robbie pulled out.

Hope Westwood gets a half in goal, and that Fahey gets a half in cm too.

I actually feel sorry for Gibson as he is just the fall-guy in a greater midfield problem at United. Prior to the 2 games you eluded to he actually had quite a good game at home to Birmingham and I think it's performances like that which makes SAF persist with him so he can get an ounce of consistency!

He was dropped on the weekend after performances from those around him which were no better/worse than his but as the fall-guy he felt the chop first. United's lacklustre midfield performance against Wolves highlights the fact that the issue isn't Gibson but the whole unit bar Scholes/Giggs.

I hope Trap selects Gibson tomorrow and hopefully give him some confidence to work with!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I actually feel sorry for Gibson as he is just the fall-guy in a greater midfield problem at United. Prior to the 2 games you eluded to he actually had quite a good game at home to Birmingham and I think it's performances like that which makes SAF persist with him so he can get an ounce of consistency!

He was dropped on the weekend after performances from those around him which were no better/worse than his but as the fall-guy he felt the chop first. United's lacklustre midfield performance against Wolves highlights the fact that the issue isn't Gibson but the whole unit bar Scholes/Giggs.

I hope Trap selects Gibson tomorrow and hopefully give him some confidence to work with!

Gibson is not the fall-guy. He has been nothing but shíte for United this season. His performances were worse than those around him, which took some doing. There is a serious lack of talent in the United midfield, but that doesn't make Gibson any better.

What's the story with Fahey? Is he fit and in the squad? And if so why is he not starting?

Edit: just read around (should have done that first off!) and found that Fahey wasn't included in the squad. I can't think of any sensible reason for this. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Pro. F wrote: »
    Gibson is not the fall-guy. He has been nothing but shíte for United this season. His performances were worse than those around him, which took some doing. There is a serious lack of talent in the United midfield, but that doesn't make Gibson any better.

What's the story with Fahey? Is he fit and in the squad? And if so why is he not starting?

Edit: just read around (should have done that first off!) and found that Fahey wasn't included in the squad. I can't think of any sensible reason for this. Am I missing something?
    Yeah Trappatoni is the worst manager weve ever had and its an absolute disgrace the players he has overlooked:mad:

Pro. F wrote: »

He wasn't included in original squad, while Green was! Sums up Trap perfectly for me. Hate his approach, his tactics and can't see us qualify from what is a weakish group. If he keeps going with a mf of Whelan + Green/Gibson we can forget about it.

Wouldn't put it past him to go with Kilbane at lb v Macedonia next month too, even if Clark has a motm display tomorrow night.

Hope i'm proved wrong, but doubt it somehow :(

Stevecw wrote: »
    Wouldn't put it past him to go with Kilbane at lb v Macedonia next month too, even if Clark has a motm display tomorrow night.

Barring a Police Academy performance from Clark tomorrow night, I doubt we'll see Kilbane play again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Trappatoni is completely past it. Trap out.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

I don't think Gibson offers much but I think him and fahey offer far more then Whelan/Green. Fahey is an a far better player then Whelan and I do believe that Anyone can offer more then Green, his past performances have been awful while Gibsons performance for UTD have been woeful they are less woeful then Greens and against better opposition and as a UTD I have no qualms in saying that Gibson has been playing no worse then the people alongside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Right, what way is this cup run? i see Scotland are playing N.Ireland at Lansdowne on Wednesday.

Are all the games in this cup in Dublin and how many times do each team play each other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Right, what way is this cup run? i see Scotland are playing N.Ireland at Lansdowne on Wednesday.

Are all the games in this cup in Dublin and how many times do each team play each other?

yes and once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

yes and once.

So the winners of the cup could well be decided on goal difference? or is their going be a 'final' even?

Anyone see the cup yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

A friend of mine has heard from a reliable source who knows McCarthy's family in Scotland that McCarthy will defect back to the Scottish international set-up if he keeps getting overlooked by Trapp. Now I heard this on Saturday night so his withdrawal from the squad since then has baffled me. I don't know what to make of it cos there are a few conclusions one could draw from it.

This whole McCarthy thing is ridiculous. Why doesn't Trap just bring him over to Macedonia and stick him on in the 89th minute? Be done with all this suspense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I have enough of that senile old fool. Hope he goes soon tbh. He can have Paul Green all he likes then.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I'm enraged about the whole thing. The fact that our best centre-midfield prospect for years may not get to play for us because of bad management and stubborness is just mind-boggling. All that needs to be done is for him to have a run on for a couple of mins in a competitive match. The powers that be have been so incompetent that this has never materialised. They've had about 4 years to do it. He was playing week in week out for Hamilton as a teenager when we badly needed players in the centre of midfield. So fcuk if he was a teenager. All the best footballing countries in the world pick the best players from a young age.

It drove me up the wall watching Brady on the RTE panel not so long ago appear dumbfounded when Bill told him that McCarthy could defect as he had not played a competitive game for the Republic. Brady was the assistant manager when McCarthy was froze out for fcuks sake. How the hell were they so incompetent that they didn't know this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

James McCarthy will be a huge loss for us. Apparently his agent is talking to to Scotland atm. Joke by Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Le King wrote: »
    James McCarthy will be a huge loss for us. Apparently his agent is talking to to Scotland atm. Joke by Trap.

Trapattoni is the joke.

SUBS for tomorrow night: Westwood, Kelly, O'Dea, Wilson, Fahey, Gibson or Green, Keogh, Long. Six of the eight can be used.

• Advertisement

Nice one Trap, don't just exile Andy Reid, but go lose McCarthy too. But sure we still have Paul Green so we're grand!! Idiot, old fool gonna lose us any chance of qualifying from such a weak group.

Advertisement