Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Nations Cup Squad

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I'll be gutted if we lose McCarthy, have no doubt he'll go on to big things in world football.

johnkennyrte: Looks like we are going to lose james mccarthy to scotland strange trappatoni press conference today media starting to question his methods

Does this guy know owt or just guessing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

We should probably send Clark packing too before he plays a competitive match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Stevecw wrote: »
    Nice one Trap, don't just exile Andy Reid, but go lose McCarthy too. But sure we still have Paul Green so we're grand!! Idiot, old fool gonna lose us any chance of qualifying from such a weak group.
    If he doesn't want to play for Ireland, let him go. Its a privilege and and honor to put on that shirt, not a right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I notice in that link that the starting 11 has Gibson instead of Green???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Given isnt helping anything by saying:
    Given wrote:
    When I was very young I was very excited to be in the squad for your country and maybe a young player's mentality has changed since I was 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Given isnt helping anything by saying:

Bollocks. This has the horrible feeling of being the beginning of the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I know this goes without saying, but FVCK THE MEDIA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Fcuking Trappatoni. Not only is he ruining the chance of qualification while he is in charge but to turn McCarthy against playing is an absolute travesty. And something Ireland will rue and despise Trap for in years to come. The sooner Trappatoni goes the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Indo for later today says that the McCarthy camp say James is 'Staying Green. Trapattoni should have nipped this in the bud at the start instead of letting this issue spiral out of control.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Fcuking Trappatoni. Not only is he ruining the chance of qualification while he is in charge but to turn McCarthy against playing is an absolute travesty. And something Ireland will rue and despise Trap for in years to come. The sooner Trappatoni goes the better.

http://twitter.com/#!/McDonnellDan/status/34764029431914496

Well that looks very promising. :)

Indo for later today says that the McCarthy camp say James is 'Staying Green. Trapattoni should have nipped this in the bud at the start instead of letting this issue spiral out of control.

James will spend most of his career in the upper echlons of European football, I'm sure. Would have been a very dark day for football in this country if he defected back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

James will spend most of his career in the upper echlons of European football, I'm sure. Would have been a very dark day for football in this country if he defected back.

Bit early to be saying that imo

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Bit early to be saying that imo

Feel free to bookmark. :)

SantryRed wrote: »

Thats ridic, the lad should be kicking the door down wanting to play.

Feel free to bookmark. :)

I wish I had bookmarked about another certain Irish midfielder :p;)

Wolfe Tone wrote: »

Why? he was born in Scotland wasn't he? I know what you are saying but you have to take that into account imo. Did he play at under age level for Scotland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Meh. International football doesn't matter so much Any more. Not many kids when you ask them nowadays what they would like to do, would not say they want to play for Ireland, they'd say Man. United or the likes. For international teams to be a success, they need to get the players, not wait for the players to come to them.

If the only reasons he has to play for Ireland are selfish he shouldn't play. If he wants to play for Ireland he wouldnt even be thinking of playing for Scotland.

Traps not to blame, its the player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Shay Given sounded kinda p*ssed off with McCarthy at the press conference today. Said something along the lines of when he was young he was mad to play for Irreland and maybe when he's older he'll realise the importance of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Trapattoni hasn't been in contact with McCarthy since last summer and doesn't have his number either. Shocking.
    Trapattoni admitted he had not spoken to the player, who declared for Ireland in his mid-teens having been born in Scotland, but only to his club manager. He joked that he had spoken to Stephen Ireland but that only made matters worse and referred to talks with the father of another player (Andy O'Brien) and the agent of a third (most likely Dutch-born Barry Maguire), neither of which had produced the desired results.

Rather surprisingly, however, the Italian then admitted to not having a number for McCarthy and indicated he had not in fact spoken to him since last summer when McCarthy came to Dublin to speak with the manager after Wigan had requested he be omitted from the squad for the games against Paraguay and Algeria as he needed rest after a long season.

"I haven't a number," he said, "but in the summer when we asked him if he was tired, injured and I spoke with Martinez because it's better to speak with the manager first. The players have limited responsibilities because there are also clubs who decide whether you can go."
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0208/1224289258689.html

If the only reasons he has to play for Ireland are selfish he shouldn't play. If he wants to play for Ireland he wouldnt even be thinking of playing for Scotland.

So how do you feel about Londoner Clarke playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

That's nonsense. Wher has McCarthy said anything about not wanting to play for Ireland????

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Have to disagree with you here, he has only ever represented Ireland at under-age level and he has always reaffirmed his commitment to play for Ireland at senior level.

karma_ wrote: »
    Have to disagree with you here, he has only ever represented Ireland at under-age level and he has always reaffirmed his commitment to play for Ireland at senior level.

Prior to the initial call up at under age level did he not say that he would have played for Scotland if they had asked him?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If he wants to play for Ireland he wouldnt even be thinking of playing for Scotland.

Plenty of people have allegiance to two countries.

I've got young relations in England and they would be happy to turn out for Ireland or England. That doesn't mean that they would be any less committed to whichever national team it was that they ended up with.

McCarthy is obviously going to be one of these types of people considering his background.

Trap should have ensured that this was sorted before now so that the idea never even entered McCarthy's head. I can see where he's coming from with the idea of letting the player come to the team, but he should have tied him up first with 5 minute cameo and then adopted the clever attitude. Yet more cluster fúck management from Trap.
    SUBS for tomorrow night: Westwood, Kelly, O'Dea, Wilson, Fahey, Gibson or Green, Keogh, Long. Six of the eight can be used.
    Right, so at least Fahey is on the bench. Still don't see any good reason why he wasn't involved from the outset. The fact that Whelan, Gibson and Green are ahead of him is unbelievable. Trap clearly does not have a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

You are delusional.

Enda Stevens called up to the Republic of Ireland U21 squad. Not quite so delusional now, is he?

Advertisement