Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Handled Scraper

Options
  • 24-01-2011 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I've just stripped wallpaper off our living room using warm water, with a little fairy liquid and applied with long handled roller or sponge as necessary, and used an ordinary scraper. I decided not to use the steam stripper this time as I previously broke the plaster off the wall in another room, don't know whether this was due to the steamer being on the wall too long or whether the walls weren't able for it, the house is around 40 years old. It was an expensive mistake as I had to pay a plasterer to come in and fix it.

My problem now is removing the wallpaper from behind the radiator. I've got a lot off but the rad is so close to the wall I can't do much more. I've seen long handled scrapers on American websites but I haven't seen them here. Anyone know if they are available here? I ask this because I will eventually be doing other rooms and it would come in handy.

Hope someone can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not a direct answer to your question, but I had to do the same thing recently and just removed the radiator temporarily. Much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

As Alun said. Take the rad off and do the work, pop it back on. Longest scrapers for wallpaper here are about 18 ins.

Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

The steamer generally only takes the plaster off a concrete wall usually the outside wall. Most internal walls are just plaster board and a joint skim which the steamer wont damage.

A plumber should charge you around 50 euro for removing the rad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you so much for your responses, much appreciated. Unfortunately I would be unable to remove a radiator myself so I would have to employ a plumber. Although the 18" scraper might be helpful.

Joey, our internal walls must be concrete as I can't even get a nail in the wall to hang a calendar!!

Thanks again everyone!

Advertisement