Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home network / SSH

• 24-01-2011 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I use UPC for my internet provider.

Tow of us in the house have ubuntu laptops. Yesterday I tried to ssh to his machine but I couldn't get there. No route to host.

Why is this? Can I make some changes to allow this

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

This should not be an issue. I have already done this and I am with UPC as well. It could be due to the built in firewall on the Cisco router. Go in there and turn it off and see if that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

What command method and options did you use?

Was it to the ip address, or a host name?
    Is your router blocking port 22?

Are you on the same network/sub domain? or were you trying to ssh in from work or other location.

If you are on the same network as the other computer, can you ping the other computer ip address?
    Have you tried using both the ip and a host name (if it has one)
    ssh user@192.168.1.1 or user@mycomputer

Can the other computer ping or ssh into you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭budgemook

thanks guys, will check this at home tomorrow.

anyways, it's while i'm at home using ssh -l username ipaddress

i'd say it could be a firewall... i ssh to a different server on the internet a lot and no problems there so 22 isn't blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Has he got openssh server installed and running? It is not installed or running by default.

Khannie wrote: »
    Has he got openssh server installed and running? It is not installed or running by default.

Yeah, I've been using Ubuntu for years now. I know all about the software needed etc. I'm just not too up to date on my networking.

I'm at work now but I had the problem described above before and also another time I set up a LAMP server and couldn't hit it from another machine.

I'll check again when I'm home tonight anyways.

• Advertisement

I have quite a bit of experience with this sort of stuff so if you need a hand tonight with anything you are more than welcome to add me to MSN/skype or whatever and we can try and sort it out.

I have quite a bit of experience with this sort of stuff so if you need a hand tonight with anything you are more than welcome to add me to MSN/skype or whatever and we can try and sort it out.

Sound, I'll check the router and that and see if I can get it working. If not I'll give you a shout :)

Cool, I will be back from work at 7pm so anytime after that is good for me. Just shoot me a PM and I will get back to you.

That's all sorted now anyways lads,

Was simple in the end. I just needed a wee push in the right direction I think.

Cheers for the help. Will set up LAMP server sometime soon and I guess I should be able to get it working properly now. I think I just had it in my head that this sort of thing was disabled or something...

Advertisement