Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stratford Move - Yes or No

Options
  • 24-01-2011 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

I'd prefer to keep this as a simple yes or no thread to gauge the general consensus amongst us Spurs fans who post on this forum.

There is another Thread entitled 'New Stadium' where more in depth discussion and opinions are being posted.

Anyway so, I'll start the Poll with with a big fat NO.

Are you in favour of the proposed move? 16 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO
    100% 16 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Definite no..

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭thudd

Undecided

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

I only voted no because I don't believe we need to move. We need to upgrade Infrastructure around WHL before developing.

If we cannot do this in conjunction with the Northumbland Project then I would be in favour of moving ahead of spending money on WHL, with the same problems only getting worse in terms of getting in and out of there.

I would move on teh condition that the club cannot be sold for lets say 6 years? See how entusiastic Levy would be about it then?

Its all academic anyway, West Ham will be the preferred bidder cos of the Athletics track.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jerryDyid

NO
    were called tottenham hotspur for a reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

NO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

Definite NO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭oppiuy

It kills me but voted Yes.. Ive read alot about the council holding a gun to our heads about development of the area. They have had there chance to keep their only Golden ticket. Wouldnt mind moving somewhere like enfield thou

• Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

A few weeks ago I was totally against it but now I really don't mind. I was reading plenty of articles about it and financially it makes perfect sense. According to that Sky article Hatch posted only something like 10% of the matchday fans are from around there anyways. The rivaly with Arsenal is great, matches are always special, but it would be nice to be the only big team in East London:P.
    I only go to a few games per season so it wouldn't really affect me anyways though. So, Atari Jaguar (didn't vote).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

still on the fence I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Yes but only because it has taken an age to catch up to the top teams and if we dont take this opportunity then we risk getting left behind. If WHL wasa viable option then I'm sure we would do it .. there must be too many problems

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Playboy wrote: »
    Yes but only because it has taken an age to catch up to the top teams and if we dont take this opportunity then we risk getting left behind. If WHL wasa viable option then I'm sure we would do it .. there must be too many problems

It was still viable six months ago, don't believe the spin. What's changed now? Levy's got dollar signs in his eyes...

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I know I said originally said that "I'd prefer to keep this as a simple yes or no thread"
    still on the fence I'm afraid

but Shane, I'm shocked :eek:

It was still viable six months ago, don't believe the spin. What's changed now? Levy's got dollar signs in his eyes...

Well the extra cost that TFL and that Heritage group have added to the development. Also we dont own all the relevant properties yet.

If we can get the OS and build the same stadium as we would have in WHL and save £200m in the process then why shouldnt we do it? Why saddle ourselves with so much debt to redevelop an area with no assistance from the council or TFL. Newham coucil found a £100m to help West Ham and they woudlnt be regenrating the area by moving there!

I can really understand people who are from the area being against the move but at the end of the day Stratford will be lot easier for most fans to get to (including opposition fans). I'm sick of walking up to the stadium through a dump like Tottenham in the rain because there are no decent transport links and then not getting home from a midweek game until all hours. It would be nice to be able to get the tube quickly and easily to the ground and get home at a decent time. It would also be nice to play and see football in a stadium worth the extortinate ticket fees we have to pay. We have a second class stadium but paying first class prices .. its isnt sustainable or fair on fans.

I dont want to sacrifice the potential progress of the club by staying in Tottenham .. If staying in Tottenham means going back to the dross that we have been paying to see in the past then I'd rather not stay. I like that we play good football now and i like that I'm getting entertainment value for the ticket price. Thank god the days of Ramon Vega and Justin Edinburgh are long behind us. I'm looking forward to seeing world class players playing in a world class stadium and if that means moving a few miles down the road then so be it!

I'm not a Londoner by birth so the tribal east london / north london .. west ham / arsenal debate isnt something that really affects me. The way london has developed in the last 20 years means that catchment areas arent what they used to be .. you have south london full of Spurs and Arsenal fans and loads of Chelsea fans in east london etc etc. Imo nobody really takes that much notice anymore. Maybe I'm wrong but I dont see it. I think our rivalry with Arsenal will be just as big if not bigger as we will be much closer in terms of competitiveness rather than location.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 jerryDyid

Playboy wrote: »
    Well the extra cost that TFL and that Heritage group have added to the development. Also we dont own all the relevant properties yet.

If we can get the OS and build the same stadium as we would have in WHL and save £200m in the process then why shouldnt we do it? Why saddle ourselves with so much debt to redevelop an area with no assistance from the council or TFL. Newham coucil found a £100m to help West Ham and they woudlnt be regenrating the area by moving there!

I can really understand people who are from the area being against the move but at the end of the day Stratford will be lot easier for most fans to get to (including opposition fans). I'm sick of walking up to the stadium through a dump like Tottenham in the rain because there are no decent transport links and then not getting home from a midweek game until all hours. It would be nice to be able to get the tube quickly and easily to the ground and get home at a decent time. It would also be nice to play and see football in a stadium worth the extortinate ticket fees we have to pay. We have a second class stadium but paying first class prices .. its isnt sustainable or fair on fans.

I dont want to sacrifice the potential progress of the club by staying in Tottenham .. If staying in Tottenham means going back to the dross that we have been paying to see in the past then I'd rather not stay. I like that we play good football now and i like that I'm getting entertainment value for the ticket price. Thank god the days of Ramon Vega and Justin Edinburgh are long behind us. I'm looking forward to seeing world class players playing in a world class stadium and if that means moving a few miles down the road then so be it!

I'm not a Londoner by birth so the tribal east london / north london .. west ham / arsenal debate isnt something that really affects me. The way london has developed in the last 20 years means that catchment areas arent what they used to be .. you have south london full of Spurs and Arsenal fans and loads of Chelsea fans in east london etc etc. Imo nobody really takes that much notice anymore. Maybe I'm wrong but I dont see it. I think our rivalry with Arsenal will be just as big if not bigger as we will be much closer in terms of competitiveness rather than location.

when i first read this i got meself all wound - up :mad:
    but after re-reading it i had to laugh because it's obviously one of those plum's that think carlsberg do football

jerryDyid wrote: »
    when i first read this i got meself all wound - up :mad:
    but after re-reading it i had to laugh because it's obviously one of those plum's that think carlsberg do football

I think with the amount of money I spend on going to see Spurs play every year entitles me to have an opinion about the future of the club without being called a plum?

Instead of name calling why dont you give me your opinion on why we shouldnt move. Maybe try and change my mind with an articluate and well reasoned post?

Are you from Tottenham .. is that whay you are so against the move?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I'd prefer to keep this as a simple yes or no thread to gauge the general consensus amongst us Spurs fans who post on this forum.

There is another Thread entitled 'New Stadium' where more in depth discussion and opinions are being posted.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

RichMc70 wrote: »
    :D

Exactly. Lads, keep all the stadium talk in the other thread, just vote and leave it at that. Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Definate NO for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

THFC wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I was totally against it but now I really don't mind. I was reading plenty of articles about it and financially it makes perfect sense. According to that Sky article Hatch posted only something like 10% of the matchday fans are from around there anyways. The rivaly with Arsenal is great, matches are always special, but it would be nice to be the only big team in East London:P.
    I only go to a few games per season so it wouldn't really affect me anyways though. So, Atari Jaguar (didn't vote).

I've come offthe fence. Thanks to therecklessone's posts I am now completely against the move to Stratford. From an economic prespective it does make perfect sense but I would much rather we stay at WHL and redeveloped that.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭galinka

Said yes too - with all due respects Tottenham is a dump!
    Only hoping the Olympics will improve Stratford.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

No

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

On the fence too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Donal Mahon

As a Londoner, born on the juxtaposition on the boroughs of Islington, Camden and Haringey and a loyal supporter of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club from an early age, my feelings regarding the mooted move are to say the least territorial.
    Many a time I queued in all weathers to gain entry to White Hart Lane or to buy tickets in advance for Cup matches and the like. I admit sentiment has a lot to do with my reaction to Levy's mixed messages, but there are more hard hitting reasons why the Club should remain in Tottenham.
    First the name, as with the invention of MK Dons ,Levy and Co. would undoubtably have to rename their invention; Stratford Spurs, Stratford Hotspurs, or maybe even Stratford FC. The Tottenham would have to stay in Haringey. And don't forget Wimbledon's legal action, which they won , to own the rights to the trophies won by their club!!!!
    Secondly, the THFC investment in the local area would be sorely missed by a community that has supported and benefited from the Club's matchdays and other events for over a hundred and twenty years. It would be detrimental to any 'business' to leave behind them a legacy of such predictable economic decay and the consequences.
    Lastly and to sum up, the myth that most fans travel an average of more than 40 miles each match is just that, it is the playing with statistics that chairs of companies do to win over shareholders, and lets face it this move is about them and no one else. The thousands of miles I and others clock up travelling from Dublin to Tottenham every season would bump up that average a little, would it not?
    So think again. THFC is in Tottenham, North London. THFC can only be from North London.

Advertisement