Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City or County - the path from B/rock to Rochestown?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Which council maintains the old railway-line path from Blackrock to Rochestown and around to the castle? I presume it's the city.

Whichever it is has done a great job cleaning up the litter in the past week.
    Well done the council workers - it looks great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Might have been the tidy towns organisation aswell. I know the Douglas folks do a great job given the tiny amount of people who volunteer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The city/county boundary is on the Rochestown viaduct..

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I called the city council a while back to report broken glass and rubbish on that path and in fairness it was cleaned up the same day. It's a great amenity and good to see it looked after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

It is a great amenity indeed and it's good to see it used so much.
    There are only 2 things left to clear up - one is uncontrolled dogs and the other (sorry OP) is uncontrolled bikes!
    The Carrigaline/Crosser walk has a definite area maked off for cyclists and it works very well but the Blackrock/Passage line sems to have condradicting signage.
    Would it not suit all users to have a definite side/lane for cyclists?
    For me, the present situation is both annoying and potentially dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

dodger50 wrote: »
    The Carrigaline/Crosser walk has a definite area maked off for cyclists and it works very well but the Blackrock/Passage line sems to have condradicting signage.
    Would it not suit all users to have a definite side/lane for cyclists?
    For me, the present situation is both annoying and potentially dangerous.

The signs on the Blackrock/Passage line say cyclists should stay on the road side, pedestrians on the water side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

As both a cyclist and a runner, and a heavy user of the railway line I think some sort of sinage for the Marina to Harty's Quay side would be very helpful. I can understand walkers getting annoyed by a cyclist flying through, ringing their bell but also it is annoying when you ring, and ring and ring even when going slow and nodoby moves and then you get the evils! :D As a runner with an ipod on, I am probably guilty of this too.

Overall it is just dangerous, especially for the little kids. I've recently seen some guys on roadbikes going through at high speed which to be honest I think is just a bit silly really. Aren't road bikes for the road? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Yeah, I use the pathway a nice bit too, both cycling and running/walking, a simple line down the middle would be very helpful for all involved! With the appropriate pedestrian/cycling symbols

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Dogs should be kept on a lead at all times or shot! The upgrading of the track a few years ago was paid for by Mc Carhty developments and city & county councils from a cycling funds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Dogs should be kept on a lead at all times or shot! The upgrading of the track a few years ago was paid for by Mc Carhty developments and city & county councils from a cycling funds.

Such a tolerant attitude :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Not a big dog fan myself, but that being said I can get over the lead thing ,its the dog poo i cant get over. It is totally unacceptable. Some dog owners just keep walking and dont care what gets left behind for you or your kids to walk into. The grass is worse than the pavement and for me spoils a lovely amenity area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Faith wrote: »
    Thanks! The only issue with this path are dog owners who can't keep their animals under control and let them roam dangerously across the path. I don't think having a dividing line down the centre is of much benefit.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Faith wrote: »

It might be strongly worded but there's nothing worse than having to clean dog**** off your kids shoes due to ignorant lazy selfish people who couldn't be bothered to clean up after their dogs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

parsi wrote: »
    It might be strongly worded but there's nothing worse than having to clean dog**** off your kids shoes due to ignorant lazy selfish people who couldn't be bothered to clean up after their dogs.

Nothing was said about standing in dog shít. The poster has an issue with dogs being off their leads. Completely different complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Read on to-nights paper that only two fines have been issued by the litter/dog warden in the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I'm a regular user of the walk but not a dog owner. I agree that dog poo needs to be cleaned up by the owners but I think people need places they can leave their dogs off the lead and that walk is safe from cars. Unless we have a designated dog park? It's not much exercise for them if they are confined to a garden/lead all the time. The onus is on the owner that their dog is muzzled if needed and trained to behave in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

charlemont wrote: »
    The city/county boundary is on the Rochestown viaduct..

Thanks. It seems obvious to me now; and the fact that all of Blackrock and Mahon is City. I was once told that the County Council road design was responsible for the traffic chaos around Mahon point and Skehard road - which must be nonsense.

But back on topic.. the path is certainly a great amenity. I have notions that it could form the basis of a safe cycle route from the city centre to Rochestown, Passage ... and beyond!

I usually cycle the path and have learned to be more patient with the wandering walkers and dogs. We all have to share it so a little consideration and patience goes a long way

However, no quarter given to dog fouling. I've offered dog owners plastic bags and I've shouted at them. I was recently told "How dare you talk to me!" and "Go and get a sex-life!" I kid you not.

Maybe I should offer rubbish bags to the late night drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I usually cycle the path and have learned to be more patient with the wandering walkers and dogs.

oops...I walk this path regularly! It's the joggers that upset me the most, many of them jog right up on top of me and nearly run me off the path, as if they absolutely have to run in a straight line.

Great amenity though, lovely walk away from the mental traffic and associated fumes and noise around Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

But back on topic.. the path is certainly a great amenity. I have notions that it could form the basis of a safe cycle route from the city centre to Rochestown, Passage ... and beyond!

I was thinking that myself last week!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It pretty much is. The cycle through the docks and centre park road is generally calm enough. At Rochestown once you pass that small estate you're back on the old railway line as far as Passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Aglomerado wrote: »
    oops...I walk this path regularly! It's the joggers that upset me the most, many of them jog right up on top of me and nearly run me off the path, as if they absolutely have to run in a straight line.

Great amenity though, lovely walk away from the mental traffic and associated fumes and noise around Mahon.

I am in no way being smart here now, but how do they 'jog up on top of you'? I can understand a bicycle being dangerous as it may not stop in time etc.....but surely a runner wouldn't bully you out of the way?
    I'm a runner, and if I have to run around someone or break my straight line, how bad - more exercise. :)
    Most walkers I come across are very nice and see the pain in my face:rolleyes: and they sometimes move for me. But its vice versa as well, I'll move aside for them. Especially with kids, the elderly etc....and sometimes the groups of 6 people that stop to chat and take up the whole path :D

No runner should be making you move - stand your ground and enjoy your walk;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

poconnor16 wrote: »
    I am in no way being smart here now, but how do they 'jog up on top of you'? I can understand a bicycle being dangerous as it may not stop in time etc.....but surely a runner wouldn't bully you out of the way?
    No runner should be making you move - stand your ground and enjoy your walk;)

I don't think they're doing it deliberately, but some of them jog so close to me I actually jump with fright when they brush past me! (I always walk close to the edge of the pathway so there's lots of room for people to pass.) Maybe I'm neurotic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I don't think they're doing it deliberately, but some of them jog so close to me I actually jump with fright when they brush past me! (I always walk close to the edge of the pathway so there's lots of room for people to pass.) Maybe I'm neurotic :D

I run along there every now & again, now you've got me wondering if I'm giving people a wide enough berth :)

Tbh it's the dogs that I worry about as have heard people being tripped by them & picking up some injury or other normally just before some race they've been training for ages for.

Advertisement