Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car repair rip off?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Your reply is irrelevant sir, your obviously a mechanic and trying to justify charging at least €100 more than what it shud cost! but thats ok, wudnt expect anything less tbh.

BTW, it needed new brake shoes but thats totally beside the point, any parts needed for my job wud cost more than replacing a wire!! catch a grip of urself man and just admit he was ripped off, its ok, it happens, we just have to be wary and learn from our mistakes and this forum helps people do that, you are the ones that keeps these cowboys in business with your feeble attempts at justification..

Topic closed >>>

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Your reply is irrelevant sir, your obviously a mechanic and trying to justify charging at least €100 more than what it shud cost! but thats ok, wudnt expect anything less tbh.

BTW, it needed new brake shoes but thats totally beside the point, any parts needed for my job wud cost more than replacing a wire!! catch a grip of urself man and just admit he was ripped off, its ok, it happens, we just have to be wary and learn from our mistakes and this forum helps people do that, you are the ones that keeps these cowboys in business with your feeble attempts at justification..

Topic closed >>>

In ignorance their is bliss

Now I know your shoes were changed, 3 hours labour @ €30 + €40 or so for shoes simples! (includes the hour while he pricked around working out it was the shoes and towing :rolleyes:).

I've seen auto electricians spend days rewiring looms and all that comes with it, very awkward and time consuming work even for men with years of experience.

I'd imagine your the type of person that is described as harmless in your local community, head on back to whatever trivial job uses up your small mind kido!

Oskarmat wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a question.

My car stopped the other day and I had my insurance bring it to the closest garage

They're telling me now that it's a wiring problem, which they fixed. the new wire is few cents, yet they asked me 175 euro .

They said it was quite labour intensive thus the high price for the repair. But I think they're ripping me off.

Do you think this is a reasonable amount to pay for for a cut wire?

Diagnosis & labour
    In fairness your car stopped as you say.

No one can say the OP was ripped off until they know what was wrong, a wire being replaced doesn't really give enough info. The way people are adamant that the OP was ripped off is laughable. Not to mention the story about the brakes. Lots of clueless folk hanging about in the Rip Off Ireland forum me thinks :pac: If it cost 60 quid ye'd still maintain it was a rip off.

bryaner wrote: »
    In ignorance their is bliss

Now I know your shoes were changed, 3 hours labour @ €30 + €40 or so for shoes simples! (includes the hour while he pricked around working out it was the shoes and towing :rolleyes:).

I've seen auto electricians spend days rewiring looms and all that comes with it, very awkward and time consuming work even for men with years of experience.

I'd imagine your the type of person that is described as harmless in your local community, head on back to whatever trivial job uses up your small mind kido!

Just as i predicted, your a mechanic! Your opinion on this matter will always be biased, so people out there...take this persons opinion on mechanical rip-off threads with a huge handful of salt!! :rolleyes:

And BTW son, I run my own business and employ several people so stick to changing tyres or whatever it is you do before you try and insult people...you`ll be better off ;)

• Advertisement

Just as i predicted, your a mechanic! .............

And BTW son, I run my own business and employ several people so stick to changing tyres or whatever it is you do before you try and insult people...you`ll be better off ;)

Nice :rolleyes:

Just as i predicted, your a mechanic! Your opinion on this matter will always be biased, so people out there...take this persons opinion on mechanical rip-off threads with a huge handful of salt!! :rolleyes:

If you believe flipping over burgers in Mickey D's is running your own business
    keep thinking that if it makes you happy. And I'm not a mechanic you won't
    make a career in profiling either.

As I said in ignorance there is bliss

RoverJames wrote: »
    Nice :rolleyes:

Don't think he spotted the :rolleyes:. ;)

And he even thanked you for post 35 as well!!

Wtf am I dealing with here?

Time to let this one go, Pork cannot be educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

RoverJames wrote: »
    No one can say the OP was ripped off until they know what was wrong, a wire being replaced doesn't really give enough info. The way people are adamant that the OP was ripped off is laughable. Not to mention the story about the brakes. Lots of clueless folk hanging about in the Rip Off Ireland forum me thinks :pac: If it cost 60 quid ye'd still maintain it was a rip off.

In fairness I agree with this :)

I.E. How much should it cost to replace an Interior filter on a Volvo S40 ?

10 second job right ?

Wrong ..

Remove side fascia, remove clips, remove glovebox, remove carpetting, remove airbox cover, spend next 10 minutes trying to shimmy out the damn thing.

Put it all back together your talking the bones of an hour.

Electrical issues are the worst, in that the behaviour of the problem can be completely unrelated to the part in question and its simply a matter of testing each set of wiring step by step with a phase tester.

You might get lucky by shaking various looms, clips etc, but this rarely happens.

If is job is that simple then do it yourself, otherwise get someone to do it for you, even if no special skills are required they'll still charge you for their time.

Don't think he spotted the :rolleyes:. ;)

And he even thanked you for post 35 as well!!

Wtf am I dealing with here?

Time to let this one go, Pork cannot be educated.

OH i spotted it alright, cant deal with 2 biased mechanics at the same time ! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (ROLLEYES)

Good call on lettin this one go son, your arguments were getting sillier by the post....jog on >>

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

OH i spotted it alright, cant deal with 2 biased mechanics at the same time ! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (ROLLEYES)

Good call on lettin this one go son, your arguments were getting sillier by the post....jog on >>

If you've done it, you'd realise its a time consuming process, time is money.

If its electrical it takes time becuase the diagnostic kit won't work. I.E. you cannot plug in an ODB-II reader and it says "Red wire with green stripe on wiring loom behind dash next to heater matrix is broken"

OP may or may not have been ripped off (probably not) an electrical problem is something that may take minutes or hours to fix and may involve a new part, a tie wrap or simply plugging/jiggling something back in.

If you've done it, you'd realise its a time consuming process, time is money.

If its electrical it takes time becuase the diagnostic kit won't work. I.E. you cannot plug in an ODB-II reader and it says "Red wire with green stripe on wiring loom behind dash next to heater matrix is broken"

OP may or may not have been ripped off (probably not) an electrical problem is something that may take minutes or hours to fix and may involve a new part, a tie wrap or simply plugging/jiggling something back in.

Keith your wasting your good time he is clearly unable and unwilling to learn, although I'm sure he will come back with more waffle.

But he's hardly that thick........ o wait.:pac:

Keith your wasting your good time he is clearly unable and unwilling to learn, although I'm sure he will come back with more waffle.

I thought you had given up? please jog on >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mi

Oskarmat wrote: »
    Hi all, I have a question.

My car stopped the other day and I had my insurance bring it to the closest garage

They're telling me now that it's a wiring problem, which they fixed. the new wire is few cents, yet they asked me 175 euro .

They said it was quite labour intensive thus the high price for the repair. But I think they're ripping me off.

Do you think this is a reasonable amount to pay for for a cut wire?

I had the same issue a fortnight ago...The car was over heating for some reason and the engine warning light came on on the dash so we took it to a guy locally oh and the heater in the car wasn't working. We rang a few days later as he said to drop it and and give him a few days. I rang back 3 days later and he said the heater issue was a big job as he had to pull off the dash as this is where the radiator is heated; but said we would not need that for the NCT and it would cost about 600e. So we said we'd have a think about it and asked him for a price on the over heating issue. He said that there was sludge in the engine that was causing it to over heat so he has washed that out and it is fixed now. Seemed fair enough to us until he quoted us 500e. I asked for a breakdown and the parts were only 80e but that labour is 65e per hour and he spent over 5hours on it! These seemed a bit long so I asked queried him on this and he said that he was giving us a discount on that price as his usual rate was 75e per hour. I rang around a few other garages and they are ranged from 35e to 55e per hour. We paid for it and 2 days later the warning light was back on. I returned it to him and he said it was a another issue and that he is only fixing it temporarily and thelight could very easily come back on again. So we are back to a cold car , down 500e but at least the engine isn't over heating..

Mi wrote: »
    I had the same issue a fortnight ago...The car was over heating for some reason and the engine warning light came on on the dash so we took it to a guy locally oh and the heater in the car wasn't working. We rang a few days later as he said to drop it and and give him a few days. I rang back 3 days later and he said the heater issue was a big job as he had to pull off the dash as this is where the radiator is heated; but said we would not need that for the NCT and it would cost about 600e. So we said we'd have a think about it and asked him for a price on the over heating issue. He said that there was sludge in the engine that was causing it to over heat so he has washed that out and it is fixed now. Seemed fair enough to us until he quoted us 500e. I asked for a breakdown and the parts were only 80e but that labour is 65e per hour and he spent over 5hours on it! These seemed a bit long so I asked queried him on this and he said that he was giving us a discount on that price as his usual rate was 75e per hour. I rang around a few other garages and they are ranged from 35e to 55e per hour. We paid for it and 2 days later the warning light was back on. I returned it to him and he said it was a another issue and that he is only fixing it temporarily and thelight could very easily come back on again. So we are back to a cold car , down 500e but at least the engine isn't over heating..

I think you'll find it's not the same issue at all..

I think you'll find it's not the same issue at all..

Just highlighting yet another incident that displays a lack of regard for others and that some people are out to get a quick buck no matter who they rip off....My doctor isn't on 75e per hour for god sakes, what gives a mechanic the right to charge these prices

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Just highlighting yet another incident that displays a lack of regard for others and that some people are out to get a quick buck no matter who they rip off....My doctor isn't on 75e per hour for god sakes, what gives a mechanic the right to charge these prices

Can i have your doctor's name please? I rarely get more than 5 mins for my €50

The Op's car was fixed yours was not! Hence the issue is not the same.

Your problem is with a mechanic that charged you and did not fix the fault with your car, doesn't look like he knows a whole lot btw and should fix your motor for no extra fee imo..

The Op's car was fixed yours was not! Hence the issue is not the same.

Your problem is with a mechanic that charged you and did not fix the fault with your car, doesn't look like he knows a whole lot btw and should fix your motor for no extra fee imo..

Yes I stand corrected...Apologies I meant same thing as I felt ripped off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

It's impossible to say what these jobs should cost as the amount of work is unknown but it does appear that a lot of trades have not adjusted to the real world.

65 to 75 euro an hour for a mechanic's time is crazy in the present economic climate.

Maybe it could be justified in a main dealer of a top marque like BMW or Mercedes but I wouldn't pay it.

People should cop on and shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catchpole

wilson10 wrote: »

65 to 75 euro an hour for a mechanic's time is crazy in the present economic climate.

Well its not just a mechanic's time is it? I mean there is the business running cost (Heating, Lighting, Insurance, Rates, VAT, PRSI etc), administration cost, and profit for the owner if they are other than the mechanic. So Wilson, what do you think is a reasonable hourly wage, to pay for an educated and skilled tradesman to carry out work that -if done badly- could cost you alot.. ?

I have no connection whatsoever to the motor trade, and as you can see from some other threads I feel pretty hard done by, with the motor trade in general, but I do think its pretty hard to run a business in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catchpole

wilson10 wrote: »

Well its not just a mechanic's time is it? I mean there is the business running cost (Heating, Lighting, Insurance, Rates, VAT, PRSI etc), administration cost, and profit for the owner if they are other than the mechanic. So Wilson, what do you think is a reasonable hourly wage, to pay for an educated and skilled tradesman to carry out work that -if done badly- could cost you alot.. ?

I have no connection whatsoever to the motor trade, and as you can see from some other threads I feel pretty hard done by, with the motor trade in general, but I do think its pretty hard to run a business in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

catchpole wrote: »

Sure it's hard to run a business, I have a workshop, equipment & machinery that cost over a million, rates, wages, esb, phone, oil, fuel, prsi, repayments on vehicles & machines, the list is endless.

The rate I charge for a man's time has to cover all this but to be competitive I've had to cut that rate and it's nowhere near 65 euro.

I'm not just competing with the guy down the road.

My customers are sourcing worldwide.

We have to get real here.

Advertisement