Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastcom anyone ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

yeah if u are still on 2/2 give them a call and they can upgrade you to 3/3 within 10min. No changes on your side required.

I think they are feeling the squeeze with NTL/chorus offering cheap 5/15/30Mbit connections and now Imagine also offers faster DL speeds for less money.

I just went to Fastcom's website and found it funny where they used to say our DL speeds are XYZ faster than Eircom etc. now they say our upload speeds are XYZ faster than our competitors which is absolutely true.

Unfortunately they cant compete on DL speed anymore because 3Mbit for 40euros is quite expensive compared to their competitors although NTL is only available in urban areas and IMAGINE jsust started with their WiMAX.

For me Fastcom is very reliable with good speed to what is advertised allthought I wish they would offer it either cheaper or more speed for the same price.

But then again its a small company and they probably cant compete with the speed/price of giants like NTL and Imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Yeah I would agree, while the service is pretty good imo. I think €40 per month for 3mb speed is a bit expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 woods83

As a former Fastcom customer from Sligo, living in Seoul for the past year.
    Korea puts Ireland to shame when it comes to technology.
    I can download a full movie here in about 4 mins and an album in 30secs.
    Makes my old broadband at home feel prehistoric.
    30mbps download speed on a bad day for about €8 per month :D

732802254.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

woods83 wrote: »

732802254.png

ok you made me jealous there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

732802254.png

Meh, thats too fast imo. :p:D

Got a pm off fastcom saying to contact them for my upgrade. Shoop Shoop. 3mb here I come. Were catching up with you woods83.....!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Folks

How do you do a speed test ? Would appreciate step by step help.

Found this thread on a search . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

lonad wrote: »
    Folks

How do you do a speed test ? Would appreciate step by step help.

Found this thread on a search . Thanks
    http://www.speedtest.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Shadow78

Open your web browser (i.e. Internet explorer)
    Go to www.speedtest.net
    (if you get a msg about installing flash you will need to follow the instructions on screen to do that)
    Click on a pyramid and the test should start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Shadow78 wrote: »
    Open your web browser (i.e. Internet explorer)
    Go to www.speedtest.net
    (if you get a msg about installing flash you will need to follow the instructions on screen to do that)
    Click on a pyramid and the test should start

Is the pyramid a star by any chance?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

732802254.png

My 30Mb down, 3Mb up isn't far off yours. Considering I'm in Sligo town which has a population of about 20,000 (could be miles off there) and you're in a capital city with a population of 10 million. Saying that it costs me €40ish a month. Still though Ireland aren't doing too bad especially considering we should be getting speeds up to 120Mb later this year.

• Advertisement

lonad wrote: »
    Is the pyramid a star by any chance?
    Yes. It is a star now.

Btw whats up with that 151ms Ping? Thats not great at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 woods83

My 30Mb down, 3Mb up isn't far off yours. Considering I'm in Sligo town which has a population of about 20,000 (could be miles off there) and you're in a capital city with a population of 10 million. Saying that it costs me €40ish a month. Still though Ireland aren't doing too bad especially considering we should be getting speeds up to 120Mb later this year.

yeah true enough, for size location Fastcom isn't too bad.
    120mb?!...i'll take some of that when i'm home!! :)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/735405509.png

.....and done......

Thanks guys.
    Can't argue with that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

120mb?!...i'll take some of that when i'm home!! :)

I probably won't. The 30Mb customers are rumoured to be getting upgraded to 60Mb for free I'd probably stay at that. 120Mb would mean having to upgrade all my networking kit in the house as most is just fast ethernet which tops out at 100Mbps and even then that's just a theoretical maximum. Real world will be a lot lower. I never thought I'd see the day where my router/network card would be slowing down my broadband though. :D
    MikeySligo wrote: »
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/735405509.png

.....and done......

Thanks guys.
    Can't argue with that.

Eh, there is something weird about that speedtest result. Your ping is showing up as 0ms which is impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Lads anyone gaming on fastcom is it still pretty laggy , I have poor DSL where I am getting 1.5MB DL on a good day.
    If I knew XBLive was ok I would make the switch for 3MB.

Eh, there is something weird about that speedtest result. Your ping is showing up as 0ms which is impossible

Huh, same again.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/736857554.png

Ping is the latency between your computer and the site you are connected to. It's how long a single piece of information will take to get their from your pc. Less than a millisecond is impossible with current technology at least. If it's reporting this wrong it could be reporting other things wrong as well. You should try a different server.

Ping is the latency between your computer and the site you are connected to. It's how long a single piece of information will take to get their from your pc. Less than a millisecond is impossible with current technology at least. If it's reporting this wrong it could be reporting other things wrong as well. You should try a different server.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/737330229.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/737333037.png

Yeah, you were right.

I was thinking it was a bit off. Fastcom host the Sligo server so that probably has something do to with your latency being reported a bit weird. Nothing wrong with your latency either by the way, looks quite good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

What is this language you speak?

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭animha

Folks, on Fastcom's behalf, we have tried to contact everybody who here who mentioned customer service or network issues that were unresolved. If anybody else has an issue which is still unresolved please let us know!

We will look at creating a forum in the future, but in the meantime we will use the channels available to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I was sent a pm which was fairly pointless because near the beginning I posted saying I wasn't even a user of Fastcom broadband.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I was sent a pm which was fairly pointless because near the beginning I posted saying I wasn't even a user of Fastcom broadband.
    I was also sent a PM about a post I'd made earlier where I mentioned that I was unable to download from newsgroups.

Sent them an email like they asked and got a reply asking to clarify a couple of things the next day.

I answered the questions straight away and haven't heard anything since.

That was over a week ago.

Get home this afternoon and the service is down. So I give them a call and leave them a message. No one has got back to me yet and I have a sneaking suspicion that I won't have broadband for the weekend.:mad:

Hi,

Anyone having major speed/ping issues at night since last week?
    I never had any problems with FASTCOM and usually got close to 2Mbit and then very close to 3Mbit advertised speed but since last week especially at night my speed and ping times are absolutely aweful.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed these problems since last week or so.

Here are my awesome results:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/14293256.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/775074439.png

Btw. these results feel fairly accurate. Sites load really slow. Youtube buffers every second etc. its really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 fastcombb

rh5555 wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone having major speed/ping issues at night since last week?
    I never had any problems with FASTCOM and usually got close to 2Mbit and then very close to 3Mbit advertised speed but since last week especially at night my speed and ping times are absolutely aweful.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed these problems since last week or so.

Here are my awesome results:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/14293256.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/775074439.png

Btw. these results feel fairly accurate. Sites load really slow. Youtube buffers every second etc. its really bad.

Hi rh5555,
    Would you be able to contact Fastcom on either 0719174092 ext2 or support@fastcom.ie and we can get your issue sorted.
    Fastcom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

I did have some lagginess on Wednesday evening, but it was absolutely fine last night.
    Have to say that while sometimes the BB can be a little patchy, generally it's pretty good where I am in north Sligo.
    My bro who lives near Tuam, and is a lot more savvy than I, was quite impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tismyself

sorry to bring up an old thread but seem to be the most recent about fastcom.

have been with them since last august and more or less never had a problem in terms of connection speed, it has about 99% of the time been decent.

even once exceeding my 4Mb connection according to speedtest

The attachment is not doctored in anyway, just an error on speedtests behalf.

Anywho, back to the point.

Has anyone with a fastcom connection noticed they have throttle rapidshare downloads as of today 28/4/2010?

tismyself wrote: »
    Has anyone with a fastcom connection noticed they have throttle rapidshare downloads as of today 28/4/2010?
    Don't know about Rapidshare as I don't use it but I have noticed that downloads from newsgroups are extremely slow again.

They called me and I got the same problem sorted about a month ago but it seems to have gone all wrong again.

I'll probably give them a bell tomorrow though and see if they can sort it again. In fairness they were pretty helpful the last time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tismyself

was suspecting they may have throttled 'em

will give them a call tomorrow.

Advertisement