Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastcom anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

You are not alone yellowpens.
    I am having all the same problems with them as you are having.
    Went with the free upgrade to 6meg before Christmas and it is worse now than it ever was.
    I wouldt be as pc aware as you or as tech aware but I know i am getting a very poor service.
    Thinking of just cancelling with them and going back to an eircom line provider.
    We seem to be in the same area judging by the phone numbers you gave so maybe it is just a poor service in our area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

bennyc wrote: »
    Mods sorry for dragging up the past but I am kinda following up on this thread a year plus on.
    I didn’t change my bb from vodafone dsl and my only reasonable option is still fastcom. I see they are offering up to 10MB, has anyone got anything close to that outside of town and if so how good is it. My current bb is still 1.5 -1.7 at best but can lag in the evenings. Now with the introduction of netflix sky player etc, I have over shot my cap for the last three months.
    I called fastcom and was told I have to go through with the order and basically they will install and I will then know for sure what speed I can get.

From what I can see fastcom seems very stable , my mate is living in Bunninadden and has a stable 2MB -3MB connection. I am a few miles the Ballymote side of Ballinacarrow so I would hope I am closer than my mate.

Basically if I can get a guarentee of at least 3MB I thing I will change to Fastcom as they have no caps for downloading and I might be waiting a long time to get a better connection from my DSL line.

an update on my bb two years on ... :D
    I went with fastcom for the 3MB and was getting just that , the only thing is I am a FIFA online player and thats where I had my problems. I wias getting kicked from 9 out of 10 games and lag was annoying. It was a different lag than normal it wass a couple of frames freeze every 15 seconds , you could manage it but the dropping connection wass getting to me. In fairness they moved me to the 10MG and the support I gt was decent. There was an eastern European support guy who fixed the problem at first but on the Friday of a bank holiday weekend the service went down, I used my phone to go to the homepage whee they have a service map and it showed me to be up. I went messing with the router resetting it and did a few thing but no joy. Basically on the Tuesday I got through to support only to be told system was down for the weekend and got it back a dy later. So I was back to my fifa problem and the guy who sorted it was no longer there and I never got it sorted again. I ended up cancelling and had no issues there so cant really fault them for customer service.
    I went back to Eircom and my 1.5 to 2MB only I lost my 30euro deal from Vodafone. after 6 months of that I was advised by Eircom support on boards to call support and check the 2MB sycn setting on the Router. I didn't know this but as i am in a remote area I am held at 2MB the network had since improved but I was stil on 2MB, I called support asked to be synced higher and with no issues was upped to 4MB I asked for 6MB last week and again with no hassle they moved me but I am not getting anything over 4.5.

I do a good bit of IT support work and was in a house recently that are synced to 1MB and after the simple call to their ISP(vodafone) they were upped to 4MB and are getting around 3.
    So if your on a poor DSL and thinking of Fastcom check what you are synced to and see if that can be upped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

They seem to have a very high turn over in staff, I think that says a lot about a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Have had fastcom for 3 weeks now. Got the 12mg version and all I can say is what a load of 5hit. For the first 2 weeks we were getting 6 or even 7mb. Now its averaging around 1mb. I tested it a 0.35mb at one stage.
    Another thing, the server stops responding after a few hours. Only way to fix it is to reset the router.

Stay away from this awful broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 vinnyme

Stay away from this awful broadband.

I couldn't agree more. Shocking. Switched to UPC and have never looked back!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Wow, still no improvement after 4 years. I won't tell of my experience. Could end badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

Itzy wrote: »
    Wow, still no improvement after 4 years. I won't tell of my experience. Could end badly.

Please share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

Does anyone have It in Grange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I was actually going to post here yesterday to say that I hadn't had a problem with their service for ages.

Got home and my Internet was down for the whole night. Still wasn't working when I left this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭T-Bird

devil-80 wrote: »
    Does anyone have It in Grange?

The transmitter is there behind Henry's and it has to be line of sight (like a satellite dish).
    I had it between 06 & 07, service was very bad during bad weather, but technology could have moved on.

I'm with Vodafone now, unlimited for 27 a month and just got 18 month extension.

• Advertisement

T-Bird wrote: »
    The transmitter is there behind Henry's and it has to be line of sight (like a satellite dish).
    I had it between 06 & 07, service was very bad during bad weather, but technology could have moved on.

I'm with Vodafone now, unlimited for 27 a month and just got 18 month extension.

Whats the speed at the Vodafone? DL and UL any times when internet is down? I heard that eircom is very bad max 2 Mbit/s DL and UL as on old modems.

Whats the speed at the Vodafone? DL and UL any times when internet is down? I heard that eircom is very bad max 2 Mbit/s DL and UL as on old modems.

Sometimes it's as much as 2.5 ;-), yeah it has been a bit slow of late. Not good for Streaming and stuff. But saying that we've often watched Netflix on at least 2 devices simultaneously with no problems. Unfortunately high speed internet is not an option, nor on the cards.

I wonder how works this one Simply Broadband from Vodafone for 35€ because yours internet working probably on sim card.I know i want get the one similar to my UPC now but at least something good for Skype etc.

I wonder how works this one Simply Broadband from Vodafone for 35€ because yours internet working probably on sim card.I know i want get the one similar to my UPC now but at least something good for Skype etc.

I got a broadband only landline connection. I normally change each year to cheapest. Was with sky last year until I got a call from Vodafone offering me this deal.

Ok Im thinking about fastcom because od the Vodafone UL 0,15 Mbps which is joke and DL max 1.7Mbps.

Ok Im thinking about fastcom because od the Vodafone UL 0,15 Mbps which is joke and DL max 1.7Mbps.

As i sit here writing this my fastcon is losing connection and reconnecting. My upload speed is faster than my download speed when it does work.
    Also i've reverted to using a meteor hot spot a few times over the christmas. Not only is it faster, its also waaaay more reliable. Its not often you hear that about a hotspot.
    Basically what im saying is stay away because it'll break your heart.

My friend beside me is very happy with them. He said its way better as my current on. I wonder will change to eircom from vodafone will make any difference (maybe they can switch me to different cabin -closer which is in my town\0.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

My friend beside me is very happy with them. He said its way better as my current on. I wonder will change to eircom from vodafone will make any difference (maybe they can switch me to different cabin -closer which is in my town\0.

I would keep an eye on Vodafone over the next year or 2, maybe a little longer. They've entered into a deal with ESB Networks to use their existing infrastructure to provide broadband around the Country, possibly even rivaling what UPC and Eircom have in place already.

Someone I know up the road next to Moran's, switched to eircom from vodafone. There was no change in speed which is similar to mine.

Are you able to get out of contract? If not dont just change over to eircom as vodafone may (will) charge you lost money.

• Advertisement

Not good...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Just to let you know Vodophone use Eircoms lines just like Sky etc

I was with Fastcom but gave up on them.

It seems the more people they connect, results in their contention ratio increment.

That would have been great nearly 10 years ago or more, but not in this day and age. My brother lives 10 miles minimum from any town in the midlands, in the absolute ársehole of nowhere and gets a better up/down connection than that with Vodafone.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4119895914

Its so bad now I cant even have a conversation on teamspeak.
    I ring them and complain, suddenly its up to 13mbps. A week later its back to this unusable ****e again.

Please vodafone and esb, hurry up and roll out that high speed broadband across the country will you.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4119895914

Its so bad now I cant even have a conversation on teamspeak.
    I ring them and complain, suddenly its up to 13mbps. A week later its back to this unusable ****e again.

Please vodafone and esb, hurry up and roll out that high speed broadband across the country will you.

Not sure if Grange is part of the country..... :'(

not till 2016 :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tazzdublin

Terrible company with really bad customer service, treat existing customers really poorly, new customers get a 12mb package for the same price as existing customers who are receiving a 3mb. They wont improve your service unless you extend your contract by 2 years even though they will not give you any new equipment. I was advised by the agent the contract is to cover the cost of the equipment, but that has been paid for! The minute another company can give broadband in Sligo, I see the doors closing on fastcom very quickly unless they improve their attitude and are trained in some customer service

tazzdublin wrote: »
    Terrible company with really bad customer service, treat existing customers really poorly, new customers get a 12mb package for the same price as existing customers who are receiving a 3mb....

UPC usually upgrade their existing customers as they role out improved services without the next for a new device. They really need to improve infrastructure and access to broadband in rural areas, which would put an end to Companies like fastcom.

If updating the infrastructure is not apart of their plans in the near future, maybe they could hijack some bandwidth during the ESB/Vodafone deal and provide access that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

I wouldn't count for that. Even entire Sligo is not covered by UPC.

Advertisement