Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastcom anyone ?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

loki7777 wrote: »
    I wouldn't count for that. Even entire Sligo is not covered by UPC.

Which surprising, given the size of the home and how easy it should be to kit out the town with adequate broadband service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

loki7777 wrote: »
    I wouldn't count for that. Even entire Sligo is not covered by UPC.

There's places in the centre of town that can not get efibre and the exchange is right behind the gpo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sky broadband could be an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Itzy wrote: »
    Sky broadband could be an alternative.

That's DSL like the rest of them.

Well it would be up to the Government to start updating the infrastructure for rural areas and areas without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

An alternative is to check if you have 3G / 4G ,
    This is o2s map, the top coverage for superplus coverage is 4G,
    http://www.o2online.ie/o2/coverage-checker/
    Here is the three one
    http://www.three.ie/explore/coverage-checker/

Now that 3 and o2 have merged you can use 3's all you can eat option.

Get a sim from 3 and pop it into an android phone. Use the mobile hotspot and you will have all you can eat data for 20 quid a month.
    You could even go to ebay and buy a 3g/4g Hotspot and configure that.

As this is against the terms of service you should stick to pay as you go so the worst they will do is cancel the sim.
    I have Eircom @3MB and Three is 30MB and I am close to Ballymote.
    The only downside is Xbox wont work on three other than that I would have Eircom gone.

I wonder what the owners of Fastcom would say, if they had seen this thread? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

All You can eat data is limited to 15GB per 30 days as far as i know . Is that DL and UL ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Both as always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

Anyone else notice that the Fastcom internet speed seems to drop terribly during bad weather ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭devil-80

bennyc wrote: »
    An alternative is to check if you have 3G / 4G ,
    This is o2s map, the top coverage for superplus coverage is 4G,
    http://www.o2online.ie/o2/coverage-checker/
    Here is the three one
    http://www.three.ie/explore/coverage-checker/

Now that 3 and o2 have merged you can use 3's all you can eat option.

Get a sim from 3 and pop it into an android phone. Use the mobile hotspot and you will have all you can eat data for 20 quid a month.
    You could even go to ebay and buy a 3g/4g Hotspot and configure that.

As this is against the terms of service you should stick to pay as you go so the worst they will do is cancel the sim.
    I have Eircom @3MB and Three is 30MB and I am close to Ballymote.
    The only downside is Xbox wont work on three other than that I would have Eircom gone.

What is your PING and what modem do you have it? I tried to share o2 broadband on Lumia and i think they block that sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Anyone else notice that the Fastcom internet speed seems to drop terribly during bad weather ?

Yes, and at about 6 o'clock in the evening.
    TBH ive stopped using it. Its completely useless for any kind of online gaming and even really slow for loading a simple website. My meteor hotspot is far better.

Fastcom emailed me last week after I complained about the speed and sent them links to speedtests I ran on the hotspot and fastcom.
    We have identified a problem that may be affecting the connection. We have arranged for engineer to go onsite at the Dromore West tower on Tuesday. To try and resolve this problem once I receive an update on Tuesday I will be letting you know.

This is now Thursday, its still crap and they havnt let me know :rolleyes:

devil-80 wrote: »
    All You can eat data is limited to 15GB per 30 days as far as i know . Is that DL and UL ?

I love it, I have an app to test my connection on the mobile. With 4g in Athlone, last night I got 41mb down and 22mb up with a ping of 46ms. I'm even getting 12mb down and 2 up on 3g with a ping of 49ms. Fastcom truly are taking the píss at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

devil-80 wrote: »
    What is your PING and what modem do you have it? I tried to share o2 broadband on Lumia and i think they block that sharing.

ping is around 70 but will not hold a connection to xbox live, downloading torrents etc is unreal compared to my 3-4 mb eircom. I am just sharing of my S4 via Three. I had an iphone at the start and sharing was always an issue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

shanec1928 wrote: »
    There's places in the centre of town that can not get efibre and the exchange is right behind the gpo.

That will all change in the next couple of months with the introduction of fibre for direct fed exchange lines

Advertisement