Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a stand-out Chinese restaurant in Dublin?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

Perhaps with a bit of variation on the menu too (I haven't managed to find Hainan Chicken in Ireland yet!!??)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Let me know when you find one...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,520 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

For authentic Chinese food, Hilan on Capel Street, is often recommended. It's cheap and very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Hilan is one of my favourite - the Mandarin House (I think) on Parnell Street is also quite good, authentic and varied.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Wayne Scales

Zen in rathmines is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

It's been about 12 months since I was there but the Hilan was very good any time I was there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If you're looking for Take away - the New Land in Kilmainham is fantastic. The noodles are AMAZING. So delicious - I'd just eat a long tray on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

The China Sichuan in Sandyford is very good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

Thanks for the posts, will have to try a few of them out and report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

charlies! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭bungler

Furama in Donnybrook is by far the best ive eatin. It is a little pricey but jaysus id kill me ma to have a feed in it

http://www.furama.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

M&L Restaurant in Cathedral St (just off O'Connell) - Super authentic Sichuan food that hasn't been toned down, secret Chinese menu, 2.50 beers and best dumplings in Dublin!

YumCha wrote: »
    M&L Restaurant in Cathedral St (just off O'Connell) - Super authentic Sichuan food that hasn't been toned down, secret Chinese menu, 2.50 beers and best dumplings in Dublin!

Have looked in the window there a few times and was on my list to pay a visit - will definitely try now, thanks for the tip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

bungler wrote: »
    Furama in Donnybrook is by far the best ive eatin. It is a little pricey but jaysus id kill me ma to have a feed in it

http://www.furama.ie/

Yes! Have been going here since we were kids. The shredded chicken is gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I know it's not Chinese, but try the Japanese restaurant Yamamori on South great Georges st, you'll never settle for Chinese again. Try the Cha Han or the Ramen noodle bowl
    Yummy:D

MajorMax wrote: »
    I know it's not Chinese, but try the Japanese restaurant Yamamori on South great Georges st, you'll never settle for Chinese again. Try the Cha Han or the Ramen noodle bowl
    Yummy:D

Big fan of Yamamori already!

Oh will definitely give this a go. Been looking for PROPER chinese restaurant.
    Must bring my mandarin-speaking friend along for their chinese menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Oh will definitely give this a go. Been looking for PROPER chinese restaurant.
    Must bring my mandarin-speaking friend along for their chinese menu.

Definitely do this, and in Hilan as well - went to Hilan with a guy from China and we ate entirely different food that was quite different to and substantially better than their English menu, it was delicious (except for the seafood omelette, I wasn't gone on that).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Was brought to the New Millennium on South King Street a few years ago by my (ex) gf's mother.

She's Chinese, so no better recommendation than that. There was a wedding taking place there while we were there too.

The food was lovely.

Yi Harr wrote: »
    Was brought to the New Millennium on South King Street a few years ago by my (ex) gf's mother.

She's Chinese, so no better recommendation than that. There was a wedding taking place there while we were there too.

The food was lovely.

Their dim sum is quite nice.
    Also love their dry fried soft shell crab with mountains of garlic. Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i think kites in ballsbridge is really good however they do tend to rush the service a bit much

furama is also good but i think its a horrible room to eat in as its very dark

• Advertisement

Tried M&L as per the recommendations in this thread ... and was not disappointed - two thumbs up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Wongs in Clontarf was good when I was there ages ago, haven't been there in a while though or heard any recent reports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

dubber wrote: »
    Tried M&L as per the recommendations in this thread ... and was not disappointed - two thumbs up!

:) yay! I don't go that often and actually forget how good (and cheap!) it is - Went with 7 other people for Chinese New Year, we shared 3 starters 5 mains, 2 noodles and had 2 beers each - came to 15 euro per head!

I recommend the special lamb with cumin (you have to ask for it, sometimes you have to be persistent depending on the waiter) and we also had a whole deep fried sea bass with a sweet spicy sauce that was amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

df1985 wrote: »
    charlies! :)

You would have to be hammered!

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'stand out'. My favourite Chinese restaurant is Wongs in Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

The Good World on St Georges St gets my vote - has decent Dim Sum also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Wongs and all those "irish Chinese" are rubish.
    I went to Hillan about 12 months ago after reading about it here and was utterly disapointed.
    I am harder to please than most having traveled in asia and worked in "proper Chinese" kitchens.
    Good world used to be good.
    Where in Dublin would i find authentic chinese these days???
    As for japanese...was never overly impressed with Yammamori, i think they just copied Wagamama....which is quite average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    As for japanese...was never overly impressed with Yammamori, i think they just copied Wagamama....which is quite average.

AFAIK Yamamori opened in Dublin way before Wagamamma came over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

olaola wrote: »
    AFAIK Yamamori opened in Dublin way before Wagamamma came over here.

Yea your right, it did.
    But Yamamori copied Wagamamas menu after it opened.
    Wagamama in London is better i think...better quality noodles.
    Mind you...Yamamori does do sushi (not great and very over priced)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

The sushi place in Ranelagh is fantastic, Michie. Bit hard to find, down a small alley, but worth it.

As for Chinese, M&L has always been brilliant once you go through the minor interrogation to convince them you want to eat off the "Non Irish" menu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 harlot

I have a question about M&L. I read a good few reviews of it and went along ready to ask for the chinese menu. When I looked at the regular menu it seemed like all the specialities I had read about in reviews were on this menu (razor clams, prawns in egg yoke etc). Is there another menu still?

Food was great btw!

Advertisement