Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a stand-out Chinese restaurant in Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 AWD4

The best Chinese food in Ireland in served by China Sichuan in Sandyford, hands down. Every dish is minute prepared, the ingredients are fresh, the dishes tasty, well-executed and super-well presented.
    We have been about 6 times since it has reopenned, and we live in the country, so it is not exactly our local :D
    We enjoyed every single visits, the staff is pro and friendly and the wines are very well chosen (a rarity for Chinese Restaurants)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

AWD4 wrote: »
    The best Chinese food in Ireland in served by China Sichuan in Sandyford, hands down. Every dish is minute prepared, the ingredients are fresh, the dishes tasty, well-executed and super-well presented.
    We have been about 6 times since it has reopenned, and we live in the country, so it is not exactly our local :D
    We enjoyed every single visits, the staff is pro and friendly and the wines are very well chosen (a rarity for Chinese Restaurants)

Our favourite as well, although the last time we were there was a bit of a disappointment, can't be perfect all the time eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

For a take-away northside it's got to be Shangri-La in Stoneybatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 AWD4

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Our favourite as well, although the last time we were there was a bit of a disappointment, can't be perfect all the time eh!

True enough :)
    Hope it was their day 'off' and we've missed it:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Wongs and all those "irish Chinese" are rubish.
    I went to Hillan about 12 months ago after reading about it here and was utterly disapointed.
    I am harder to please than most having traveled in asia and worked in "proper Chinese" kitchens.
    Good world used to be good.
    Where in Dublin would i find authentic chinese these days???
    As for japanese...was never overly impressed with Yammamori, i think they just copied Wagamama....which is quite average.

+1 to this.

Good World used to popular with Chinese nationals living in Dublin. Not sure if it still is.

There is a Chinese restaurant in Clonee called Eatzen that offers the best restaurant Irish Chinese I've had in Dublin. They have some variant recipes on the standard Chinese menu which make a nice change

The closest to authentic Chinese you will get in Dublin is by trying the Chinese restaurants on Capel Street. Irelamd's only "Hot Pot" restaurant is there, altho I haven't been yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

The Good World is probably the best of the more accessible 'proper' Chinese'; you'll see a lot of middle class asian families in there at the weekend.

Of the ''Irish'' chineses Wongs and Kites are very acceptable, but damn pricey.

OT: Someone mentioned Michie Sushi in Ranelagh previously. Hands down the best Sushi I've eaten anywhere in Ireland or across Europe. Absolutely incredible; down the lane just before the Butchers Counter in the main thoroughfare of Ranelagh.

On the Tintins/Charlies/J.Chungs end of the scale, the Full House on Middle Abbey Street is the best value all-you-can-eat in Dublin. A lot of proper Malay and Szechuan food that you mightn't see in a standard takeaway and a bar licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

korean wins out. hop house on parnell street. amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

Theres an amazing takeaway on Clanbrasil Street (just up from Harolds Cross bridge) called China House - really excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Kytes in Ballsbridge is the best Chinese in Dublin. FACT! And I've eaten in them all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Kytes in Ballsbridge is the best Chinese in Dublin. FACT! And I've eaten in them all.

Wow i wouldnt have believed you only you said "FACT" in your post!

/close thread

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

It's called Kites anyway FACT!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

temply wrote: »
    Theres an amazing takeaway on Clanbrasil Street (just up from Harolds Cross bridge) called China House - really excellent.

That's my local one, nicest take-away Chicken Curry I've had but not the nicest Chinese. Just up the road is the Full House, amazing ribs in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Kingcharlies on Dame Street is the best Chinese restaurant around imo
    Pearl River in Phibsborough is possibly the best take away

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

YumCha wrote: »
    M&L Restaurant in Cathedral St (just off O'Connell) - Super authentic Sichuan food that hasn't been toned down, secret Chinese menu, 2.50 beers and best dumplings in Dublin!

Went a couple of weeks ago with Mrs beer and I was bitterly disappointed!

Asked for the Chinese menu, was given it but told there was no English translation and no help or suggestions were forthcoming apart from suggesting the Chef Recommendations from the main menu.

My shredded pork was gloopy, salty, sweet, oily, coloured fare that could be gotten in any Chinese restaurant in Europe.

Mrs Beer's deep fried bass wasn't the freshest and neither of us likes the oily sweet and sour sauce with it.

Mixed veg was real take away fare too.

We looked on enviously while all the Chinese people there ordered interesting looking food and plates of lovely green vegetables - although going by what we had, I'm not sure that would have tasted great either.

Didn't seem cheap to me either!

I would only consider going back there if I had a Mandarin speaker with me.

No it may be possible that I just don't really like restaurant style Chinese food - although I have eaten in a few that I liked in Paris. Going to Singapore in August so I'll find out for sure there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Didn't seem cheap to me either

That's amazing. I have been a few times, it's silly silly cheap. We point at other peoples dishes and got what they were having, simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

What about Tippenyaki in Rathmines? Heard good things but never been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Wongs for sure. One in Castleknock, Clontarf and Ranalagh....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Sandraf

Definitely Kites in Ballsbridge, I go there regularly and have never been rushed out, unless its a match night and they have bookings coming in.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's amazing. I have been a few times, it's silly silly cheap. We point at other peoples dishes and got what they were having, simple.

Well, I don't really consider €40 for 2 mains, a glass of wine and a small beer to be very cheap. (Ok, we had rice and mixed veg too but I don't really consider these extras as they are necessary to make up a reasonably balanced meal.)

I would consider this reasonable if the quality was good but it wasn't, in my opinion. Didn't find the service very welcoming or friendly either.
    The toilets were filthy and they kept using a very strong smelling cleaner when wiping down the tables that was off-putting while eating.

faceman wrote: »
    Wow i wouldnt have believed you only you said "FACT" in your post!

/close thread

:pac:

Yes, it doesn't count unless you say it in CAPITALS!

• Advertisement

Well, I don't really consider €40 for 2 mains, a glass of wine and a small beer to be very cheap

That's a little pricey for them, I don't know why you were charged so much. I always find the place cheap and clean.

There was six of us there the last time, we had about four courses each including soft shell crabs, scallops, pork, chicken, prawns with all the side orders of rice, crackers, noodles... etc, we had about five huge jugs of beer and a bottle of wine, came to €240! We were stuffed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

moonboy wrote: »
    korean wins out. hop house on parnell street. amazing.

Very different food, mind. Sometimes those spices can really kick! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

+1 on M&L, unfortunateky I don't speak chinese, so I haven't had a chance to try the other menu, but the food on it looks delicious

old hippy wrote: »
    Very different food, mind. Sometimes those spices can really kick! :)

I have been meaning to try the Hop House for months now, hear nothing but good about it.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

Has anyone been around Capel St lately? there are about 5 chinese restaurants all trying to compete with each other! I have only been in one The People's Cafe. The food is good and made fresh and you could definitly eat in for under a tener!

Advertisement