Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joyces Tuam,what do you think?

Options
  • 24-01-2011 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I'm pretty much converted.
    I'll still shop around for value though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

I Clever,

I think it is great to have a new store in Tuam, but their selection needs to be addressed, for instance they have only two varities of razor blades, no cheap pet food, hardly any selection of washing powder only the monster boxes, no tabs or concentrate, I just think they need to look at the stock, it feels more like a discount store than a supermarket, maybe it is just me but I am overall dissappointed that the Tuam shop is not as nice as the Athenry store, it feels like everything in Tuam is what he can't sell in Athenry.

Would love it to improve as I love the location and the shopping center feel of it but his quality needs to be improved. I have to add that the staff are brilliant and have always been top class since day one.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 clevercanines

Hi Tinder,
    Only me & you shopping in Joyces so????
    I was in today, (for some Tpaper:o) but I seen razor blades behind the girl on the till at the front.
    I get all my dog food from a butcher so cant say I noticed any of that.
    Did you try the dinners from the butchers counter, mine was lovely.
    I used to live in Atherny & have to agree it is a lovely shop, ah give Tuam a few years, I'm sure it'll be up to standard, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Bob_the_dog

Happy enough with Joyce's, parking is great, beats paying over the odds for items in Super Valu and getting sh*te service.

I quite enjoy the competition in the Tuam Herald every week between the two stores.

Bob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Hi Tinder,
    Only me & you shopping in Joyces so????
    I was in today, (for some Tpaper:o) but I seen razor blades behind the girl on the till at the front.
    I get all my dog food from a butcher so cant say I noticed any of that.
    Did you try the dinners from the butchers counter, mine was lovely.
    I used to live in Atherny & have to agree it is a lovely shop, ah give Tuam a few years, I'm sure it'll be up to standard, lol.

Bless, that's always what Tuam needs.
    A few years for Tesco to set up, a few years to sort out the fact that is is filled with **** and a few years to sort out the fact that everything that goes in and out of the place is ****.
    God bless, but it'll get less ****e soon enough. AKA in a few years. GIVE UP NOW YE DOPES.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,906 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Bless, that's always what Tuam needs.
    A few years for Tesco to set up, a few years to sort out the fact that is is filled with **** and a few years to sort out the fact that everything that goes in and out of the place is ****.
    God bless, but it'll get less ****e soon enough. AKA in a few years. GIVE UP NOW YE DOPES.

Dude, no need for that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭hanns.s

Good for a few things but overall I am disappointed, I was in there the other day they had the sweet tins advertised, in small writing was 5.99 and in BIG RED WRITING NOW 5.99 - do they not expect people to read? Both Joyces and O'tools will get some of my business but it will be bargin hunting in both - and Dunnes & Tesco will get the rest of it. Really disappointed with Joyces, always a problem when I am paying for my goods, if its not the price I am been charged that was on off - the chip and pin is down or they can't validate my parking :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

Bargains arent as good as there other stores, find it overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

Bargains arent as good as there other stores, .

:confused:
    Dunno about that - The bargains advertised in local papers (4 pages in Advertiser/2 large pages in Tuam Herald every week) apply to all their stores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭faw1tytowers

rco2000 wrote: »
    :confused:
    Dunno about that - The bargains advertised in local papers (4 pages in Advertiser/2 large pages in Tuam Herald every week) apply to all their stores?

Yes I mean in general.. overall, not just the advertised bargains. :) It doesnt seem to have the same choice as the other stores either?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

hanns.s wrote: »
    Good for a few things but overall I am disappointed, I was in there the other day they had the sweet tins advertised, in small writing was 5.99 and in BIG RED WRITING NOW 5.99 - do they not expect people to read? Both Joyces and O'tools will get some of my business but it will be bargin hunting in both - and Dunnes & Tesco will get the rest of it. Really disappointed with Joyces, always a problem when I am paying for my goods, if its not the price I am been charged that was on off - the chip and pin is down or they can't validate my parking :mad:
    I've been in there about 20 times and they've always validated my parking.
    The big tin of sweets was obviously a typo cos they are normally more than 5.99.
    I wouldn't do a weeks shopping in there myself but competition is good for the town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

I was in Joyce's today, and bought two ready-meals, which I thought said '2 for €4' on them. Realised when I got home and looked at receipt that I had been charged €5 instead of €4.

The receipt said individually, that they were priced at €2.99 each, but the receipt had only deducted €0.98 off the total price for two instead of €1.98.

I realised then that it actually said '2 for £4' on the meals, pounds not euros. Out of interest I check up the currency conversion and £4 = €4.71. So should have been charged €4.71. I know it's only a few cents, but surely this is a bit of a scam and shouldn't be going on?

Jamey wrote: »
    I was in Joyce's today, and bought two ready-meals, which I thought said '2 for €4' on them. Realised when I got home and looked at receipt that I had been charged €5 instead of €4.

The receipt said individually, that they were priced at €2.99 each, but the receipt had only deducted €0.98 off the total price for two instead of €1.98.

I realised then that it actually said '2 for £4' on the meals, pounds not euros. Out of interest I check up the currency conversion and £4 = €4.71. So should have been charged €4.71. I know it's only a few cents, but surely this is a bit of a scam and shouldn't be going on?
    How exactly is that a scam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

amiable wrote: »
    How exactly is that a scam?

Maybe it's not, I'm kind of trying to find out if it is or not. Would I just call it an error then? Is it not false advertising?

To recap, two meals advertised as 2 for £4. I was charged €5.

Surely I should have been charged €4.71 as £4 = €4.71 ? Or else they shouldn't be advertising goods in pounds at all.

Maybe it's not, I'm kind of trying to find out if it is or not. Would I just call it an error then? Is it not false advertising?

Surely I should have been charged €4.71 as £4 = €4.71 ? Or else they shouldn't be advertising goods in pounds at all.
    And what was the price marked on the shelf?

I haven't seen the offer you have mentioned but from what i gather
    Joyce's are importing alot of their stock straight in from the Uk and is
    packaged sometimes with UK prices.
    He's not obliged AFAIK to offer the products at the UK price.
    As you said its only a few cent difference which transport could
    be the reason for change in price.
    I have also seen in there myself products on sale at the same price
    as the sterling price, eg 1euro = 1pound

I've been in there about 20 times and they've always validated my parking.
    The big tin of sweets was obviously a typo cos they are normally more than 5.99.
    I wouldn't do a weeks shopping in there myself but competition is good for the town

They had lifestyle on offer at 1.09 and the price of 1.09 is not only on the pack but charged in ALL shops - so it is not an offer! Scam

Jamey - they should mark the € price, price in £ is illegal and is a scam! I agree with you - they should put up the € price and or exchange rate

I haven't seen the offer you have mentioned but from what i gather
    Joyce's are importing alot of their stock straight in from the Uk and is
    packaged sometimes with UK prices.
    He's not obliged AFAIK to offer the products at the UK price.
    As you said its only a few cent difference which transport could
    be the reason for change in price.
    I have also seen in there myself products on sale at the same price
    as the sterling price, eg 1euro = 1pound

Is it not illegal to do so? It is cheap for them to buy in UK and sell her, the transport would cost little to nothing if they buy and transport to ROI so they could sell and £=€ and still make a profit

Is it not illegal to do so? It is cheap for them to buy in UK and sell her, the transport would cost little to nothing if they buy and transport to ROI so they could sell and £=€ and still make a profit
    That is a very stupid comment.
    A pound sterling is worth more than one euro.
    So add the difference in currency value to the transport and you expect him to make a profit?
    You seem to have a gripe with Joyce's.
    If you do you could just avoid the place.
    I fail still to see a scam in any of your posts

They had lifestyle on offer at 1.09 and the price of 1.09 is not only on the pack but charged in ALL shops - so it is not an offer! Scam
    Again where is the scam in this?
    IMO its not fair to just go around accusing people of a scam without evidence to back it up.
    Just cos it's 1.09 everywhere doesn't mean its not on special offer everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

I think what the previous posters are indicating that Joyces are not offering the bargains which they purport. Hard to blame them for this based on the evidence that they have accumulated.
    Have been in Joyces a few times and apart from a few special offers (wine, biscuits etc), they are as expensive as O'Toole's. And that is expensive.

dec25532 wrote: »
    I think what the previous posters are indicating that Joyces are not offering the bargains which they purport. Hard to blame them for this based on the evidence that they have accumulated.
    Have been in Joyces a few times and apart from a few special offers (wine, biscuits etc), they are as expensive as O'Toole's. And that is expensive.
    As i said in my earlier post i wouldn't do my weekly shop there.
    But to accuse them of a scam all the time is wrong.

A pound sterling is worth more than one euro.
    So add the difference in currency value to the transport and you expect him to make a profit?
    You seem to have a gripe with Joyce's.
    If you do you could just avoid the place.
    I fail still to see a scam in any of your posts

I work in the transport business and it doesn't cost that much to bring loads from North to South! They are making a good profit in doing this! Also as far as I am aware it is illegal to sell UK priced products in ROI, it is different if the shop is in UK & ROI and they state both STG & € prices. I don't have a gripe with Joyces, they have a few false offers on and a few real offers on. I am disappointed that a lot of the products don't have the price displayed (like that any time I was in) And to have offers that are not real offers. I don't want to avoid the placed as you put it, I like to support local shops but we are (or most of us) looking for a bargin to make ends meat - if the offers were real and price was reasonable I would have no problem shopping there all the time. The few times I have gone in I got annoyed with the false offers and it happened 3 times that I picked up an item and the price was higher when I went to the till, leaving me standing there waiting for them to check the price. Also the chip n pin didn't work on a few occasions and a few times I went to get parking validated and I had paid for items but had to wait at another till to get this done. Also define scam = a fraudulent business scheme, this in my opinion would be the sweet price or lifestyle butter prices examples above.

I work in the transport business and it doesn't cost that much to bring loads from North to South! They are making a good profit in doing this! Also as far as I am aware it is illegal to sell UK priced products in ROI, it is different if the shop is in UK & ROI and they state both STG & € prices. I don't have a gripe with Joyces, they have a few false offers on and a few real offers on. I am disappointed that a lot of the products don't have the price displayed (like that any time I was in) And to have offers that are not real offers. I don't want to avoid the placed as you put it, I like to support local shops but we are (or most of us) looking for a bargin to make ends meat - if the offers were real and price was reasonable I would have no problem shopping there all the time. The few times I have gone in I got annoyed with the false offers and it happened 3 times that I picked up an item and the price was higher when I went to the till, leaving me standing there waiting for them to check the price. Also the chip n pin didn't work on a few occasions and a few times I went to get parking validated and I had paid for items but had to wait at another till to get this done. Also define scam = a fraudulent business scheme, this in my opinion would be the sweet price or lifestyle butter prices examples above.
    What a sheltered life you must live if you think that's a scam.
    They are not examples of scams.
    It is not illegal to sell items with sterling prices on.
    You are bringing false info to this thread.
    If it is illegal can we see a source?
    Maybe it says it all that you were looking at the price of Lifestyle

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What a sheltered life you must live if you think that's a scam.
    Please try to be less aggressive in your comments.

However hanns.s I would also like to see any sources for the illegality of selling UK priced products here as I see this often, mainly in shops that are from UK, TK Maxx etc.
    I don't know about Joyce's.

biko wrote: »

However hanns.s I would also like to see any sources for the illegality of selling UK priced products here as I see this often, mainly in shops that are from UK, TK Maxx etc.
    Fair enough, Its my opinion that it was a bit of a stupid comment for the poster to make especially witout backing it up with a source.
    I've also seen items like dogfood and soft drinks and ice creams in supervalu with UK packaging on them with sterling price.
    I doubt they'd be ignoring the law but if i'm wrong and a source can be provided i'll gladly stand corrected

biko wrote: »

Well I don;t think Joyces would appreciate me taking out my camera and taking a picture of their items in the shop. I just answered a question of what I thought about the shop. Let anyone feel free to walk in and see

Fair enough, Its my opinion that it was a bit of a stupid comment for the poster to make especially witout backing it up with a source.
    I've also seen items like dogfood and soft drinks and ice creams in supervalu with UK packaging on them with sterling price.
    I doubt they'd be ignoring the law but if i'm wrong and a source can be provided i'll gladly stand corrected

Again without going in to take pictures I don't see how I could provide proof. Maybe other shops sell items with the UK price but I have not seen these, I do lead such a sheltered life I don;t get out much. I will try find out if it is illegal and get back to you if I do - with leading a sheltered life I don;t get out much nor use the internet much (recently discovered the internet)

I don't think Biko was asking for pics.
    I'd imagine he was asking for proof in the form of text or a link to a source of this being illegal

• Advertisement

I don't think Biko was asking for pics.
    I'd imagine he was asking for proof in the form of text or a link to a source of this being illegal

Under the EC (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002, retailers and service providers in Ireland must show product prices, and must show them in euro.

And this came from - http://www.consumerassociation.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=11

Not that I wanted to prove this - it wasn't the original question

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement